Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:06:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShow us your level design
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level design  (Read 133563 times)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2013, 07:44:52 AM »

the man is funny. just like that, but like crazy fluid animation, and stilted enemies? no, awesome enemies.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2013, 07:49:26 AM »

You okay there, Graham?
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »

I made good improvements. Don't make fun of me.
Totter87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »

Here's some level design screens from the last game I worked on:

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2013, 07:30:05 PM »

I like the first one.
Totter87
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2013, 02:36:52 AM »

Thanks, that's my fav too. I was working on a lot of city scenes before doing that level so that was a little bit of a 3D art vacation for me.

effete_denizen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2013, 10:29:54 AM »

This image has some of the levels iterations around the outside so you can see it evolve.

This is for our current project Mech Mania for the PC http://www.indiedb.com/games/mech-mania

It was designed to play games like 'Tag' in.

It had to have 4 spawn points, none of which were at a starting advantage and it had to be large enough for four players to move around freely while being able to trap each other.

It couldn't have any scenic parts obstructing the players shared camera view of the arena either.

It also has a conveyor belt which stops and starts randomly as well as changes direction and an electrified puddle which also turns on and off.

Quite a fun level, still needs more testing and tweaking!!

and the final level

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:10:27 PM by effete_denizen » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »

Looks nice, lots of detail.
makehimanoffer
Level 0

I make good games, I swear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »

My game's levels are simplistic in look, but difficult in general. The real issue that occurs is having a curve of difficulty. In order to reward the player and not have them feel tortured is to make sure levels aren't too long.
Take this one for example

Anyways, basically. I'm a programmer and for the moment the art is sort of rough and potentially close to what it'll look like (except for the character)
The game is called Super XCVB, based on a flash game I made called XCVB. XCVB are the controls where X inverts your left and right, C inverts your up and down, V makes you go up or down, and B makes you go left or right. It's difficult. The main reason is the linear layout of the controls. As such, levels are kept simple with some interesting twists. This is basically a test level. Go through the rainbow to complete the level.

In the flash game prototype version I had issues with inconsistent level styles where some levels are about being quick thinking and others were terribly difficult because of very tight moving spaces (something which turned out to be inconsistent in the overall design).
Super XCVB's gonna have at least 20-40 levels of just this base mechanic and then 20-40 for the more advanced mechanics based on this.

But, it really makes me think that being simple is difficult. Especially for just little old me to be doing EVERYTHING.

Not everything you call a game is a game. We need new definitions. We need interactive experiences. Short Interactions. And Games. Otherwise I'll accidentally end up playing a 'not game' and bitch about it on the internet.
jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2013, 01:11:08 AM »

There was a point in my life that I was ready to make a super mario kart type game. These are the levels that I designed for it and I even came up with some descriptions. Tongue

Click Levels Enlarge

Treehouse Spin - 3 Laps
Soar your way above ground through the trees to find the best and shortest track but be wary it is easy to get lost though as long as your guard is up your sure to make it through.

Waterway Towers - 3 Laps
If you want to float and not sink you must first learn how to swim but if you want to be the best you must figure out how to tame the courses pet eel, dodge traffic, and still make it to the top before anyone else does.

Lava Falls Cave - 3 Laps
Riding in the heat as hot as the sun is nothing compared to finding boiling lava right in the middle of your track, figure out how to get past it all and you will be able to make it to the finish line just in time.

Skyway Village - 3 Laps
Try to reach the finish through this pirate town in the sky, you must dodge fireballs, lightning, and the other racers if you want to even have a chance at flying to first.

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »

water slide? yeah? I love slides.
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »

doing a map for Firearms Source It's a redo of one of my old internal testing maps for one of the new gameplay modes.

editor shot

There was a point in my life that I was ready to make a super mario kart type game. These are the levels that I designed for it and I even came up with some descriptions. Tongue

those are awesome. Nice work

sebastian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »

This is actually just a mockup level, but anywho.
It has animated elements ( Clock & machine ) the wall is there for camera transition testing.
and generally just a quick test that happened when trying out 3d instead of 2d in my current project.

TwistedJenius
Level 0

Entertainment with Brains, Brains with Bite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »

Here's the basic hallway layout for each level of Twisty's Asylum Escapades. The game itself is in 3D, but we began by planning the layout of the building on a simple 2D map (each level's basic layout was roughly based on the layout of my elementary school Grin).

Differences in the thickness of the hallways on the map, correspond to different sizes of the actual hallways in the game (we wanted some variation between feeling larger and some feeling more claustrophobic).

And here's a few screen shots of what the interiors of some of those hallways looked like in-game.  

Here's the DevLog of the game I'm currently working on- Reptile Zoo: The Sinister Mutation
Vote for it on Steam Greenlight!
DragonStar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »

Wohn-Grab
Its location on a high steppe in the crux of two imposing mountain ridges makes Wohn-Grab (“Living Tomb”) nearly unreachable for many months out of the year.  The easiest path to it is from the north through arid tundra, which is swept with bitter cold, and a week or more out of the way.   The town would not exist at all except for a hot spring which keeps the town buffered from the harsh winters. It is at the base of the highest peak, Apricity Peak, which refers to the feeling of the warmth of the sun in winter.

Most of the town's residents descend from soldiers who maintained a fort in the mountains at some point in the distant past. The current residents often wonder why they are there at all, and have a somewhat dour perspective on life. The few visitors are mostly historians, mages, and other artifact seekers who search the ruins along the spine of the Hiemal Peaks.  The most notable is a tall tower two day's hike from Wohn-Grab, which can be seen from the town on clear days.

FuriousGrey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »

A look at my Death Wish mod I did for for Blood a few years ago:

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »

Oh boy, it's Build.  I feel old just looking at it.
tanyaxshort
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »

Here's a few procedurally generated levels using my level design rules:

Basically:
* Define what a room is (size, features, theme), make sure obstacles don't break the game (we used pathfinding checks)

* Define how those rooms string together to form the critical path (and branch off of it)

* Place enemies & items on critical path differently than off of it

* Add locked doors & keys to find

* Add in more connections between rooms to make it more interesting

A full description of the process from level design -> proc-gen level can be read here: http://www.kitfoxgames.com/level-design-and-procedural-generation-in-shattered-planet/

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2014, 05:14:14 PM »

Here's a few procedurally generated levels using my level design rules:

Basically:
* Define what a room is (size, features, theme), make sure obstacles don't break the game (we used pathfinding checks)

* Define how those rooms string together to form the critical path (and branch off of it)

* Place enemies & items on critical path differently than off of it

* Add locked doors & keys to find

* Add in more connections between rooms to make it more interesting

A full description of the process from level design -> proc-gen level can be read here: http://www.kitfoxgames.com/level-design-and-procedural-generation-in-shattered-planet/

this blog post is really helpful!
thanks!

CANTATA
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic