Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:18:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShow us your level design
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level design  (Read 134276 times)
Xeffi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »

Since permadeath is a core mechanic of our game, we procedurally generate the world so that it's different each time. The world generates as a series of vertical floors, using a mixture of our prefab sections and terrain that is randomly generated according to rules.

We made a level editor in order to create the prefabs we generate within the world. We are creating skill themes for each world, and the prefabs will be designed with these themes in mind. Level prefabs are categorized by both skill theme and difficulty.

The game is called Beard: Life Grows On (beard-dev.tumblr.com)

Dev blog at: beard-dev.tumblr.com
Barret5Ocal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2015, 01:57:00 AM »

I made a level for a student game that I worked on and I would like some feedback on it. The game is called Flub Fighter and it is a party fighting game where the player can't damage each other directly. Players can only kill each other by knocking them into environmental hazards.

It is currently on steam greenlight. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=399961544 Here is a design breakdown of my level.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2016, 02:22:52 PM »

Here's an area I've been working on for Cold Vengeance

It's got three tiers, with the player normally entering the area on the middle tier.  The middle tier has a number of gaps the player can fall through which leads them to the bottom tier (however, there is a staircase that can take them back up to the middle tier).  The middle tier has more of a focus on ranged enemies, where as the lower tier has a lot off melee enemies and close-ranged shotgun enemies.  There are also enemies on the middle tier throwing bombs down to the bottom tier.  The upper tier can only be reached with the jetpack, and only from a couple spots on the middle tier.  It is significantly harder than the other tiers, and has more gaps to fall down, but you get a bonus item if you make it through.

Also note those bridges near the half-way point take the player over a gap.  Basically, the player will have one of four potential encounters depending on which bridge they take.

PixHammer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2016, 07:47:19 AM »

So, this area is part of the 'tutorial area' and the first time that the player encounters a box they can push. I designed the area so that it would teach the player without the need for any explicit communication. When the player drops, from the ledge they fall exactly behind the box so that when they land, they push the box slightly, signified to the player by contrasting audio and particles.
If they attempt to Jump over the gap, they collide with the ceiling, and are still dropped behind the box.
Even if they miraculously avoid both circumstance, the pit acts as a lock-in that forces the player to understand how to push the box in order to progress.  Smiley

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »

Nice job PixHammer, that level looks really cool. I liked how you forced a tutorial without even any text.

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Drof
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2016, 04:55:56 AM »

So, this area is part of the 'tutorial area' and the first time that the player encounters a box they can push. I designed the area so that it would teach the player without the need for any explicit communication. When the player drops, from the ledge they fall exactly behind the box so that when they land, they push the box slightly, signified to the player by contrasting audio and particles.
If they attempt to Jump over the gap, they collide with the ceiling, and are still dropped behind the box.
Even if they miraculously avoid both circumstance, the pit acts as a lock-in that forces the player to understand how to push the box in order to progress.  Smiley

You'll probably find out in playtesting, but I'd guess that a sizeable portion of people would want to jump, even if it isn't necessary or even hurts. It helps usually to have scrape marks on the ground suggesting that something was dragged over it. It sort of looks like a pushable block to me, but I'm not sure if it would to everyone.

theLucre
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »

Here's the layout for my upcoming LowRezJam game. The rules are to build a game with a screen max of 64x64. Each tile in the design is one of those screens.

And here's a sample of one of those areas:

Futurist and escapist .:. @theLucre
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2016, 04:55:09 AM »

Never noticed this thread before, this is great. I used to love seeing massive level layouts in video game magazines as a kid. Which reminds me that I should browse VGMaps more often.

Here's a map from a small co-op puzzle platformer I made ages ago. It wasn't really planned out, I just drew it as I went along. You start in the bottom left and finish on the right, collecting as many treasures as you can along the way.

Click for full size.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2016, 05:10:40 AM »

That looks great, Ishi.
Pixelhammer, how do you teach players they can jump?

pixelmeat
Level 0

@pixelmeat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »

Good way to "force" the player to learn a new mechanic. I just hope there's a pull mechanic too, just in case the player decides to push all the way to the left XD

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2016, 01:44:51 PM »

This is the placeholder layout for the level 00, the intro level. I hope to teach the player about Aftertile's basics during this level. It should take more or less 2-3 mins for the player to finish it:

Player starts on the right, at the "ghosty" marker. He will then learn how to cross the red and yellow obstacles, then to avoid spikes while collecting the orbs in the middle. After that, in that room, the player will be told by that ST (which will be a special character) that there are certain conditions to be fulfilled to proceed (fill in the cradle with orbs, heal at the well and meditate). At the end, the player will get the power to be invulnerable to the pink spikes, and will be able to cross that last wall and go up to the next level.

sajidsarker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »

Working on my Turn-Based Tactics game called SIDON.

My little brother is having a lot of fun with the level editor, and making towers and staircases from what he says were inspired by playing Dark Souls.

Have been testing cutscenes through re-enactments of Macbeth on the map!

tecbug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »

Hey there,

Here is how 100 level design looks like on a wall for an incoming mobile game I'm currently creating with a small team.

I originally started to sketch on paper, but with the complexity of the levels, I felt the need to find a nice piece of software to do this task on a computer with a graphic tablet. I ended up using Mischief, which is really amazing for that kind of utility.

It's incredible how useful and necessary it is to do this before creating any level. We didn't do that sort of thing at the beginning of the production, and it was a huge mistake..

I know it was over year ago but do you have this in high resolution?

My dark top-down arcade game: Mooch
SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2016, 05:33:39 PM »

I had the rare chance to show some of my latest work in its WIP form in an episode of a show for Star Citizen.

(at 18:36)

My question, what more would people like to see featured in regards to level design process?

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »

https://twitter.com/thedarkhog/status/802235544751271936
https://twitter.com/thedarkhog/status/802237747037663233

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
ChefSeth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »

One screenshot compared to a zoom out of the whole world

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »

This doesn't go to show all of the level, but still... a classical level i guess..

domnick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2017, 11:13:43 PM »

This doesn't go to show all of the level, but still... a classical level i guess..

I kinda like it. The game looks cute.

Schir
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »

Here are a couple of levels I've been working on:

At the broader game design level, the purpose of this first one is is to surprise the player, and to tell them that the game's going to get a lot weirder than it initially seemed. From the player's perspective, the game hard cuts from talking with a stock RPG Maker NPC in a poorly-designed town to this level in first-person. It's meant to be a quick reassurance that the guy making the game knows what they're doing, while telling a couple of jokes along the way.
At the lower level design level, the branching paths here are simple, but encourage a bit of exploration. Exploration's rewarded with a bit of art and a couple of jokes. If a player isn't familiar with first-person RPGs, a note directly opposite where they started encourages them to move forward, and the branching path next to it is there to teach the player that they can turn. Not seeing the note automatically pop up text teaches the player that they ought to press the action key. Going left teaches the player about non-standard wall tiles being actionable, while going right reinforces the 'read the notes' message.

This level's where I'd introduce combat. It uses the visual language of older RPGs to put the player on edge. The level design's a lot more interconnected, with most rooms having two or three exits, but that might not be clear from the image so here's those paths labeled:

The level's meant to feel like a place that people might live in, but it also eventually funnels the player to the big central room where a cutscene happens. The rooms are made to be mostly distinct in shape to help the player keep track of where they are and where they've been.
Thinking on it, I could probably stand to revise this level a few more times for clarity, but this is where I'm at now.
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »

Hop ! The first tutorial level I made =)

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic