Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 12:02:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShow us your level design
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level design  (Read 134174 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »

Working on some caves for Space Captain McCallery

Xane123
Level 0

Mary's Magical Adventure developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »

This is the third level of my game so far. This is overall how it looks. As this is a GZDoom-based game, this is how it looks in the level editor but this is otherwise 3D. Anyways, it all starts in this area in the curved room that comes from the previous level. I've highlighted the areas the player visits normally in the picture below.

The first part of the level is very linear, just a hallway, but the player has to find a cyan key in the blue room they enter by moving down. After that small key hunt, they can open the door at the end of the hallway then jump down the stairwell to reach another hallway that leads outside to the city streets.

In both of these areas, the player can approach them differently; For example, there's a big secret path (the big winding path in the picture above) which the player can find by entering the vent seen overhead in the room with the key. When the player goes outside to the city streets, they can perform the wall jump to get up to the streets faster or just find another door around the building that takes them up to city street level. If they do this, there's a single turret ready to fire at them in that hallway.

Here's a 3D view of the hallways with that turret visible; It's harder to talk about 3D level design than 2D.

The city streets are really not interesting to talk about as most of this level hasn't been made that detailed, but here's a 3D picture of a part where the player can break through certain windows on these buildings then use springs to bounce to other parts of this area. (All of those circles are visual representations of how far out each light's buzzing sound and pop-in distance is. To keep glitches from happening and possibly improve performance, I make dynamic lights turn off at further distances.)

This area isn't fleshed out yet so there isn't much level design to talk about my reasoning behind it other than the springs and two buildings in that picture.

Okay, except for this setpiece that happens in the building on the right; There's a Powerup Coin in the "hallway" there, but if the player tries to grab it, a Troll enemy jumps through the window behind it and hurts the player if they don't react in time.

I feel I'm making this too long so to keep it short, let's just look at the bowling alley you'll reach if you go down enough streets.

The player enters here from the top and can knock pins down for coins. The main thing to do here is to find a switch hidden behind the front desk then go behind the lanes and use the vent back there to reach a secret area that is blocked off by force fields if the player comes from the right. The player gets a Powerup Coin here but has to avoid the acid which slowly damages you on contact. Okay, that's enough, so here's a final picture of that room with the two paths that branch off from this room.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2018, 04:30:32 AM »

This is where I left my racing game's city a couple weeks ago.

Obviously, it needs more work - it needs to accept angles in JSON that are not multiples of 90 and the number of buildings along the road needs to match the road's length, but overall I'm very happy with the level.

I am aiming for a level size of roughly 1000 x 1000 m, it should be enough to show off various roads while still being manageable (do you want 'em twisty and narrow or 90-degrees or maybe long corners like the legendary 130R at Suzuka)?

EDIT: How do I make the image resize to the screen size in this forum?
GD_Entertainment
Level 0

GD ENTERTAINMENT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2018, 03:02:28 PM »

Reminds me of a pokemon-style gameplay, I like it!

GD ENTERTAINMENT is a place where ideas become a reality and where the fun can never go extinct.
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2018, 03:33:43 AM »

Does CSGO level design count? Well, that's what I do mostly, hammer world editor is excellent for map development practice in other settings.

SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2018, 04:50:20 PM »

Did a thing for the Mapcore level desigin "door" challenge...

Play here: https://sean-noonan.itch.io/pearly
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:58:57 PM by SeanNoonan » Logged

Max Rudek
Level 0

Indeep Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2018, 05:24:58 AM »

This is not finished yet as not everything is clear but I assume it's not a first level, player knows what exact tiles can do.

Wurst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2019, 05:08:57 AM »

This puzzle looks very nice!
Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2019, 02:52:24 AM »

I have pretty much zero graphics for Fire Exit yet, so all I can show is the equivalent of whiteboxing:

Feenicks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2019, 05:05:29 AM »

The first real dungeon-type area from one of my more recent projects.

harleyw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2019, 03:17:47 PM »

a TDS server room area, with interaction triggers, opening and closing doors, breadcrumb UI object for guidance, etc. Also has scaled boxes (invisible) for collision and room name tags:

Lighting Artist @ Ubisoft
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2020, 07:15:52 AM »

Once they see you, these zombies pathfind towards you and you can't shake them. They take four hits and will hit back unless you're very very good at dodging -- and even then, it's not really possible to dodge two at once. If you go to a different floor, they forget about you.

First, a really hard level- fighting two zombies at once is not easy. You can attract the left zombie by peeking out a little, but then you have to deal with it in a fairly tight space (the alcove with the player in it, to the right) without getting into the second zombie's line of sight.

It's possible to run through this area without fighting either zombie, but you really have to commit, and you will take a couple hits.

It's also possible to fight just one zombie and run through without fighting the second, but again, you really have to commit, and you will take a hit.

Second, a level that presents a similar setup (two zombies to fight!) but in a very different context. It's intentionally subverting all the things that worked and the things that didn't work in the previous room:

1. You can't fight the zombies separately (they are close enough that if one sees you the other will get notified and come with)

2. Because of how closely they're placed together, it's impossible to charge through (even if you commit) -- they block the path

3. You can kite them in circles forever, making combat with them significantly easier; the encounter is very different because you can use very different tactics to deal with them

4. You can also avoid them by running a loop and ditching the pair.

edit: took a quick gif of these levels in action:

cannot believe I died that way
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:22:19 AM by droqen » Logged

Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2020, 06:40:31 AM »

Some chunks for First Plague

Of course it looks better when they're together

Not sure I can really call this "level design" yet though.

Rin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2022, 04:12:52 AM »

Finally happy with the design of the very first room the player spawns in at the start of the demo (and maybe final game). I made myself a rule that there would be no box rooms.

I wanted to teach directional movement, they have to learn in order to get around the unusual room.
Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2022, 06:17:04 AM »

A town I quickly thrown together for a one-weekend gamejam in November 2021, Surveillance Sphere:

Along with a "corrupted" version of the same town:

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2022, 01:11:43 AM »

Kinda spoiler but here's the final level layout with room connections for a game I'm working on. It's actually three floors flattened into one so there are some strange intersections (but the characters teleport between locations so it's not a problem).

Currently I'm filling the rooms with props, objects and final geometry/texturing.

Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2023, 07:58:54 AM »

Hi, looks like I took the habit of posting a screenshot of level design from jam games we've been making for a few years, and I haven't been posting one from our last game, so here it is :p

This level has been entirely designed by Biiscuit in TrenchBroom.

In the game, you interact through security cameras, through which you can take objects and send them back to interact with the world. The goal is to open all the doors between the desk room on the right, and the outside (the green area on the left).

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic