Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 05:29:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Main Characters
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Main Characters  (Read 288422 times)
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 29, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »

I saw Commander Video in the Support Characters section, and I was reminded of a full moveset that someone made for him. It's something like this.

The neutral special move is an eye laser, based on Bit.Trip Core, basic stuff.
The side special is a clear Bit.Trip Runner inspiration, he charges forward with rainbows trailing behind.
Up special made him generate a Runner spring and bounce off it, not that impressive. Something better can no doubt be invented.
The Down Special has him draw out a paddle to reflect projectiles, based on Beat.

Of course, this moveset was made for an actual Super Smash clone, so he included a final smash with flying and lasers out of Fate, but that's not a necessity.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1241 on: October 30, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »

Unfortunately, it's not quite enough, because we try to make their normal moves still unique moves that come form the game(s). I haven't played his games, but I don't think he does much fighting in them.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »

Commander Video totally fights. Bit.Trip Fate is a shmup, and Runner has actual boss fights where he kicks UFOs into destruction.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1243 on: November 01, 2011, 06:10:44 AM »

When I said he didn't fight much, I meant he wouldn't have enough moves to fill a move list. We can add shooting and a kick, but it's still not quite enough.
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:48 AM »

Half the characters that could be in this game arnt because  of cop out reasons like not enough moves or not being a fighter.
It takes creativity to make things work.

Take capt falcon, he was from a racing game never stepped out of his car and had as much personality as a car seat. I frankly couldn't imagine smash without him. Fzero had no real fan base before smash added him.

I use seikleja in my game, sure seiklus is nothing but exploration, but I use him as the embodyment of seiklus.
My point is the game in no way should just stick to plain old source material and instead expand upon it
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:25:27 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1245 on: November 17, 2011, 10:06:52 AM »

With us being super picky we still can't finish the characters we've chosen. Picking more characters will only add to the problem. If we were done every character we put in the game and needed more then I could see your point, but right now more characters is not what we need.
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 17, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »

I'm not saying add more characters, in my opnion we should take some away for now. Less work for me/us lol. There's way too many indie games to include them all.
The game could go the way of capcom and new versions could be made, indie brawl, extended indie brawl etc. Adding new characters and features while giving people a full product to toy with.
I just meant it would be more fun to think outside the box.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1247 on: November 17, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »

It's not necessary to complete the current roster for the game to be complete. If the game is feature complete and has less than 10 characters finished, I'd still be happy to call it a finished product.

Nuclearinsanity
« Reply #1248 on: November 18, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »

Coontinually updating is always a possibility.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 08, 2013, 06:29:37 AM »

Hi. This place is dead, but in hopes that someday it gets resurrected, I have an awesome character suggestion. (Also, I'm thinking I may try to take over this project over the summer and program it, since no one has yet)

ANYWAY.

Daniel (Amnesia: The Dark Descent)

Sprites
I've actually made pixel fan-art of him a while back. Could be a base if accepted.

I've also made a servant grunt, which was one of my imagined attacks. Could also be a base.

Stats

A fragile character w/ powerful defensive moves. He focuses on drawing characters in w/ mid-range attacks, immobilizing them, and dealing powerful short-range attacks. So although he can be defeated easily, opponents have to be careful w/ getting too close. He's also a good rival for long-range fighters, as they'd both have an advantage over each other: Daniel keeps them from getting too far, long-rangers keep Daniel from getting too close. Could lead to very interesting fights.

Movelist

A- Kick - A simple outward kick to hurt nearby enemies. Can be combo'd into 3 hits. Moves slightly forward for each kick of the combo.

>A- Lantern Swing Forward - Chargeable swipe w/ his lantern. Enemies move directly left/right. (Burn?)

^A- Lantern Swing Upward - Chargeable swipe w/ his lantern. Enemies move upright/upleft. (Burn?)

vA- Tinderbox Fire- Daniel lights the area directly in front him on fire (red). Enemies caught in it stay in it for a second or two taking small consecutive damage. Daniel is staggered if he doesn't catch anyone in the fire.

S- Oil Spill- Daniel spills oil from his lantern to his left and right and starts a fire (blue). The fire does heavy damage on immediate contact, otherwise it does small consecutive damage and sends opponents flying once died out.

>S- Monster Lunge- A Servant Grunt(75% chance, weaker) or Brute(25% chance, stronger) "appears" before Daniel and lunges towards him. Characters in the monsters path take damage and are brought closer to Daniel. Once a character is hit Daniel can act(prepare a follow-up combo), otherwise he's "paralyzed in fear." The monster "poofs" right before they reach Daniel and disappear completely. (This attack leaves Daniel completely vulnerable from the side the monster isn't attacking from)

^S- Ladder Escape- A pool of water forms at Daniel's feet and a Kaernk bubbles out of it. As this happens, a ladder emerges from the water which Daniel grabs onto. If Daniel makes contact w/ a character as soon as he's completely on the ladder, heavy damage is dealt. Otherwise, only the kaernk deals damage by capturing any characters that touch it and dealing consecutive damage before a big CHOMP, sending them flying.

vS- Barrel Kick- A barrel appears in front of Daniel (depth-wise) and he jumps on top of it. If he was falling, this would make him stop. He then has a short time-span to control what direction the barrel goes in. Once chosen, he kicks it in a way that it goes out (pushing enemies away w/ light damage), stops & spins (3-4 light damage hits), and spins back to Daniel while pushing again. If the barrel is pushing an enemy towards Daniel, he has a an opportunity to time a kick that will deal extra damage, otherwise he'll just break it w/ his foot. The barrel is breakable by any attack b/c it's pretty powerful, but any opponent caught by it is immobilized.

Other

Yeah. I love this project. I want it back. If no one takes a stand by June, I'm going to claim lead programmer position and start work on it. I'm a capable programmer w/ plenty of Game Maker experience so I'll have no trouble figuring out how Soul's left things.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:10:06 AM by thatbrod » Logged

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 15, 2013, 07:08:02 AM »

Amnesia is, indeed, one of the most iconic indie games out there, but I'm not pretty sure if Daniel should be playable. He seems more like the kind of guy that works better as a support character, but that's just me. This thing has been dead for a long time, so I guess no one will oppose if you wanna take lead over it, in fact, many of us would be happy about it

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1251 on: May 18, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »

I would love if someone revived the project. If you want to volunteer to revive it, then of course you have the final say over what goes into the game. I'll of course chime in from time to time with my two cents.

These are the sort of criteria that I look for when adding a main character:
Popular: A large part of the fun of these games is that you get to play as a recognizable character in a new context. It's no good if no one recognizes the character. Characters should be drawn from the most well-known indie games (or at least the most well-known within the indie scene). Meat Boy is popular. Kitty (from A Game with a Kitty) is not terribly popular.

Iconic: Characters should be instantly recognizable and memorable. A really unique design or appearance is helpful here. Quote is iconic. The characters from Legend of Grimrock are not (the player chooses their appearance, and you never see them anyways).

Versatile: Characters should have a lot of material to draw from when creating a movelist. Characters from action games that have lots of attacks are easy to translate (like Xoda Rap). Characters that have few attacks but can still do a wide variety of things can also work (like Naija). It's also possible to make a good movelist for characters that don't have many actions, but have a design that suggests lots of attacks (like Trilby, with his brolly/taser and cat burglar reflexes). Characters that don't do much besides run or jump (like The Kid) are not versatile enough for an interesting movelist.

Completeness: Characters from completed games are preferred. Some promising games are unfortunately never finished. Others are finished, but they have changed significantly since they were first conceived. By waiting until the game is released, the character is less likely to need to be reworked later.

Amnesia is a very popular game, so it certainly passes that criteria. However, it fails the latter two. The game uses a first-person perspective, so I had no idea what Daniel looked like, despite playing the demo. Daniel doesn't do much besides run and hide, so there's not much material to use to make a movelist. Many of the moves you chose involve summoning monsters - an ability which Daniel did not have in the game. This suggests that Amnesia would be better represented as a stage or support character.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:29:12 PM by Soulliard » Logged

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 19, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »

Judging by those criteria, then, I suppose the following characters could also be considered viable:
- Isaac (BoI)
- A Skullgirls representative
- The Kid (Bastion)
- Clawed Girl (They Bleed Pixels)
- That newfangled Shovel Knight
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 20, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »

While we're on it I'll also suggest some other characters:
Ib (Ib)
Jables (Jables's Adventure)
Don Ramiro (Maldita Castilla)
Isadora/Momo (Momodora Series)
Robin (The Iconoclasts)
Any of the ninja cleaners from Dustforce

And stages based on:
Closure
Dungeons of Dredmor
Bastion
Lone Survivor
Fetus/suteF
Terraria
Super Crate Box

Of course, these are all just some random suggestions

tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 21, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »

While we're on it I'll also suggest some other characters:
Ib (Ib)
Jables (Jables's Adventure)
Don Ramiro (Maldita Castilla)
Isadora/Momo (Momodora Series)
Robin (The Iconoclasts)

Any of the ninja cleaners from Dustforce
I think those ones would be quite fun.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: May 21, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »

I think you've got the idea. I forgot to mention that characters from completed games are a bit better, since they're less likely to need reworking later.

My thoughts:

- Isaac (BoI) - Agree
- A Skullgirls representative - Filia might be best. I don't play the game myself, but she seems to be the most prominent.
- The Kid (Bastion) - Agree
- Clawed Girl (They Bleed Pixels) - Could work. Does she have a name?
- That newfangled Shovel Knight - Could work, but I'd wait until the game is released.

Ib (Ib) - Never heard of it before. Looks pretty obscure.
Jables (Jables's Adventure) - I haven't played it myself, but based on the trailer, I'd be concerned that he doesn't do much besides run, jump and shoot.
Don Ramiro (Maldita Castilla) - Locomalito is one of my favorite devs, and this is probably the most appropriate character from his games. On the other hand, I'm not sure how many people would recognize him.
Isadora/Momo (Momodora Series) - One of the two could work.
Robin (The Iconoclasts) - I agree, but I'd wait until the game is released a (probably a few years from now Sad ).
Any of the ninja cleaners from Dustforce - Could work. I'd go with blue or red.

Closure - Agree. Could be challenging to design, but probably worth it.
Dungeons of Dredmor - Maybe, although many of the game's graphics are pretty generic.
Bastion - Could work.
Lone Survivor - I'm not sure, since I haven't played the game myself (I don't like horror).
Fetus/suteF - I don't know if the stages themselves were all that memorable.
Terraria - Agree.
Super Crate Box - Could work. Could also work as a main character.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 22, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »

Ib is pretty known between Yume Nikki fans for some of the games "similarities" (brown haired little girl as the main character, being some sort horror/weird game, etc), though I agree it may be a bit obscure, plus Ib doesn't do much besides from solving puzzles. Jables is... yeah, didn't thought about it. They could work better as suport characters I guess

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 22, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »

Yeah, Ib does no fighting whatsoever.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1258 on: May 26, 2013, 01:28:59 AM »

For a Skullgirls character I would vote Ms. Fortune for having the most unique playstyle.

I like the idea of Issac as a character but he has the opposite of the usual problem in that he has too much to draw from.

Bombs are obvious. We probably want to use normal tears as well.

Here's some items that would work well. (With links.)
Mom's knife used for melee as there isn't much melee-esque stuff in the game.
Ipecac
Bob's Rotten Head
The dash move from A Pony
The Candle is very iconic as being the one of the best items in the game
Brimstone would probably work better in game than Technology with the charge up, although tech is probably more iconic.
Halo Of Flies would be good as an item. (not an attack) I would make it start with the full three and have them die after blocking a projectile. (unlike in BoI)
Guppy's Hair Ball as another melee possibility.
Little Chubby maybe?
Holy Water sucks in BoI but would work well here.

Some sort of rabdom move would be good too, as the game is very random.
A random tarot card move would be cool but way too much work.
A 3 Dollar Bill move that gives his standard tear attacks a random "buff" for a short time would be cool and it shouldn't be too hard to do.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1259 on: May 26, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »

Jables would make a great background influence though. Especially with that catchy BGM going on in the game.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic