Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:57:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Naija [DONE]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Naija [DONE]  (Read 55712 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:40 PM »

Yeah, that is awesome!  She reminds me of Elena from SFIII a bit with the white hair, outfit, and long kick. Kiss

I'll find some time this weekend to do some animations, too.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »

I really like that style, its like shes made out of like a splash of ink or something, combined with the thick black outline it really makes a unique KICKIN' STYLE.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:38:58 PM »

<- mine on the right
I still have a problem with the balance of it, so I made me an quick edit ^ Wink 1 more frame than yours frame I think
[/quote]

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 04:03:23 AM »

Sorry, I couldn't resist to make a really quick edit of my own... Sorry if it's not clean. Feel free to ignore me Wink

I felt like she lost a lot of momentum by kicking when landing. Plus, I twisted the leg since kicking with the feet in the position you guys had usualy requires a straight thrust or a circular movement. I made her arm move around to give the kick more strenght and made her crouch more to really show she is jumping. I also paused the attack on the hit frame to make it look stronger and put less emphasis on the "going back to main key frame" part of the animation.

The kick would work better, in my opinion, without the jumping part because it will make it faster. But, if the kick is powerful, a bit of timing is ok gameplay wise. Like the strong kicks in SF2. So yeah anyway, just my 2 cents...

Edit: Forgot to mention that the pause I added can be removed for a smoother animation and faster gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:47:51 AM by Guert » Logged

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 05:10:03 AM »

I prefer this one

Bot all of them are awesome, it's kind of tough to decide.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24:27 AM »

I like Guert's too. The others are too unnatural: Naija's body posture should move more while she's doing something like a kick. Also, the more delay in animations, the more time it takes to execute moves during gameplay, which slows the game down.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 07:31:44 AM »

I added the kicking animation to the game, and it looks perfect. I did have to remove one frame from the beginning, unfortunately, and I had to speed the animation up to about twice the current speed. It's a little harder to admire at the higher speed, but Flipper Kick is supposed to be a quick attack.

Keep the wonderful animation's coming!  Beer!

By the way, not all animations need to be that detailed. It's nice when they are, of course, but since the game moves so fast, you can probably afford to leave out a few frames to save time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 09:27:58 AM by Nightshade » Logged

Seth
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »

I think she needs to be leaning back a bit, though, it looks like she's about to fall forward.  Looks great besides that, though.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »

Here we go!  I think these could be much improved - especially the walk animation, which is a pretty wonky (although maybe you could attribute that to Naija being on land!  NOT.).  It definitely needs some animation of the head/hands.

I won't touch any of these for at least a week, so by all means, feel free to edit them!  Make 'em better!  I just wanted to get a good start goin'.

Walking -

Jumping -

Energy Blast -

Beast Prepare -

Beast Charge Left -

I definitely call the portrait, though, and I'll get that done soonish.  LET'S GET CRACKIN' PEOPLE!  Gentleman

(This is a lot of fun.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:51:02 PM by Derek » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 02:07:59 PM »

Kiss

You just made my day. Naija is finally alive!

I have a few general comments on the sprites submitted so far:
1- Naija's outline is currently a very dark shade of gray. I think it should be black. Otherwise it may be lighter than some parts of the background.

2- Indie Brawl is a very fast-paced game! Many of the animations submitted so far are beautiful, but too long. For example, Naija spends 4 frames preparing to beast charge, and Derek's transformation sprite is 7 frames long, so I had to cut off the first 3 frames. Plus, it's difficult to appreciate the subtleties of the remaining animation since the animation's so quick. A 2-frame animation would have done the job nearly as well, and would probably have been much easier to create.

In short, there's no need to make really long animations, since most attacks take only about 2/5 of a second to execute. Every time I have to delete a frame, a little bit of me dies inside...  Cry

Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 08:07:30 PM »

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 08:11:06 PM »

KUDOS, that is top notch my friend  Beer!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 12:44:14 AM »

Alright, I think this is it other than the portrait and the plant!

Hurt -

Shield -
(Yigguth, yours is cool, too!  Either way!)

Flipper Kick -

Plant Seed -

Throw -

Whirlpool -
Seth
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 02:03:04 AM »

Looks great Derek!

I think the flipper kick looks off though.  I you have more frames for the side kick parts than the kick part perpendicular to us, so it's like she's moving her leg slowly at first, then fast as she pivots, then slowly again (even accounting for the starting/stopping frames)

Here's my suggested fix, where I just deleted two frames:

yours:

Alternatively you could add more frames instead of taking them out

The more I stare at Naija spinning the less I'm sure I'm right, but I'll post this anyway  WTF
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 03:14:46 AM »

I think you're dead-on, Seth. Remember, as Nightshade has mentioned many times  before, this is a fighting game. Most of the animations need to be snappy!
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 04:00:06 AM »

Shouldn't Naija go Plant and Energy form for the respective attacks?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »

Maybe she could use two frames for the HURT animation?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »

Yay, thanks, Seth!  That looks much better.  Edits are good good GOOD.

I thought about having her change forms for each move but I wasn't sure how readable it'd be as some of these moves are fast.  The other thing is that I knew I'd never get it done if I did. Tongue

But maybe partial changes would work better than a full change, anyway.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 06:00:07 PM »

A-friggin-mazing!

I'll add those as soon as I get time.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 03:13:18 AM »