Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:32:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSweezy Gunner
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Sweezy Gunner  (Read 40295 times)
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »

Sweezy Gunner is now available to buy at www.windybeard.com

Or buy on Desura!

Welcome to the crazy world of Sweezy Gunner! An eye melting, brain bending, mouse squeezing Shmup. Are you hungry for action? Do you crave intense mayhem? if yes then go see a doctor!

The game kicks off with you smashing your ship into a planet. You were heading there anyways so never mind. The planet was terraformed over 200 years ago however all human life was killed off by monsters! ARRRGGHHH!
No human has set foot on the planet for 200 years..... until now.

------------------------------------------------------
**GAME PLAY**
what im aiming for is Zelda style adventure but with guns, non stop action and lots of bullets!. A huge world to explore and lots of stuff to collect!

• None stop action set in lush hand drawn 2D worlds.
  • 40 different monsters to kill
  • Over 130 screens of eye melting action
  • 3 different zones and 7 dungeons, all with their own unique setting, secrets and monsters
  • Collect monster cards and kill enough of each monster to unlock upgrades
  • Everything drops cash and powerups which is always nice
  • Find Hidden Health containers to increase your chances
  • Rock hard survival mode with online high scores

**MUSIC**

Original sountrack by my good friends at "Injekted with a poison"
Audio Caviare! An unstoppable combination of classic game music and Liquid Drum and Base. Its intense!

**LATEST VIDEO**

**SCREEN SHOTS**

Official website - www.windybeard.com

I will be aiming to get this on Steam so please help with the Greenlight when the time comes!

Any feedback greatly appreciated :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 03:37:31 PM by Windybeard » Logged

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

I have been busy working away on the Upgrade system. The way it works is as follows, You can build new ships and once built you can decide to use which ever ships you have built however the base stats of the ship never change, this means you can have ship that is fast but weak and slow but strong.

To upgrade the ships is where im really happy with this game. You can collect Upgrade badges from missions, buying them in a shop, building them using collected orbs or finding them. Once obtained they are then placed in your inventory and then they can be attached to the ship of your choice in what ever order you want.
Earlier ships only have a few upgrade slot but the better ships have more allowing for massive upgrade potential.

Im planning to make around 50 upgrade badges, maybe more. The upgrades will be things as simple as "+1 to health" to slightly more interesting ones like "Finish level with combo over 30 for 4x cash" and "start level with Shotgun powerup".

You can see the early images of the upgrade system in the screenshots above. Im really happy with this system and it is working perfectly which is always a bonus.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated and more screenshots and a video to follow soon. Oh and Im Windybeard, im new here, nice to meet you :D

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »

I like the style, look forward to seeing some gameplay.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »

Thanks CowBoyDan, Video will be soon, just trying to figure out how to make a decent recording. Software i have is kak!

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »

I just use fraps.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »

Excellent thanks :D

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »

Working solidly on the Save system at the moment, I have found myself using a temp save file during the levels, this is to stop any exploits around collecion, for example i have a temp save file that updates during the levels with all the many things collected and killed, then when the player actually finishes the level all the data is ported over to the main save file, basicly if you dont finish the level you get nothing, Thats the punishment for death!

Its sooo confusing as i have loads of things being collected and lots of mobs being killed and all they all need to be updated and stored correctly and at speed so that all goes smooth!  Crazy

Progress is slow due to the size of this undertaking but im getting there, Once the save load is done then im half way there

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:44:36 PM »

Still working away on the save load system but its all falling into place nicely. Now not only does all the loot and stuff collected save and load nicely, The upgrade system is 80% plumbed in which once completed will make a huge difference.

Im really looking forward now to start re working on graphics and adding new enemies. I currently have only 6 designed but i need that to be around the 40 mark and thats excluding colour variants of mobs.
Enemies play the normal part in the game as with any but with a twist. Every enemy you killed is remembered and added to a total for each enemy, after killing a certain amount that enemy will lvl up and will give better loot and other bonuses for killing it. All this data can be accessed in a Mob compodioum and is important to the success of play as grinding materials is key to beating certain points in the game and upgrading ships.

Anyways, thanks to all those people who have been looking into Sweezy Gunner, Every page view or comment is a sign that this game is worth making and i appreciate all of it :D

Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »

Sweet!!! Eye-Melting Action is my absolute favorite kind of action! Really looking forward to gameplay vids (and/or a playable demo if we are so lucky).

Beautiful graphics!
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »

Looking great!

Master of all trades.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 12:58:49 AM »

Thanks., I'll do a video real soon

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »

Introducing a new bad guy i designed tonight. Hes a golem of some sort, he is one of the few mobs in the game that doesnt shoot at you but he has a large amount of health meaning you need to sink loads of bullets in him to take him out but hes slow so its not too hard.
AI wise he is fairly easy to implement as he only walks in diagnals and stops every so often. If he gets close to you he will throw a major swing at you causing serious damage.

I love creating new mobs and intend to do LOADS and i mean loads for this game, Im not too good at AI but im getting there however for this game i dont need anything to taxing anyways as its all about killing fast and moving on.

Let me know what you think.

Also this is the NPC who runs the upgrade shop his name is "Chief Chops" and runs the local "Chief Chop's Chop Shop"

Thanks again for the comments and as promised a video will be up real soon, I would do one sooner but i have no levels actually built yet. I have however created a very efficient and customizable level editor for this game and all the tiles needed to create levels for 2 of the 4 (maybe 5) worlds in the game so i could knock one up fairly quickly.

Any feedback greatly appreciated :D

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »

Nice art! Looking forward to seeing it in motion.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »

Loving the look   Hand Thumbs Up Right

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »

Thanks, I have to say as a new member of this site it is a real pleasure to be here, its an awesome site with a great community, better than any other i have been on.

As for Sweezy Gunner i have now almost fully implemented the stone golem guy, his walking and standing still animations are complete, i just have to do the finishing touches on his attacking animation and hes done. I Have so many other enemies planned and have started working on a boss guy which i will show once he is complete,

Thanks again for all the kind words

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »

video! video!  video! lol

1.  get fraps
2.  record lotsa video
3.  edit it in microsoft movie maker if you have to
4.  upload to youtube
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »

HA HA HA

got fraps and windows movie thing, Im sorta hesitant to make a vid a post it here before its ready if you know what i mean, but this is a dev log sooooo ok.

Ill finish animating the Stone Golem, programm him in, then ill drop a quick vid for you to see. Im hoping you like it  Grin

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 06:34:15 AM »

Howdy

I have been chipping away at the mountain of work that is Sweezy Gunner. At present im working on the world map system, What im implementing is the level selection system. The world map is your basic click a node and enter the level system but im jazzing it up. What i have so far is When you play a level and complete it, the next level becomes available (much like Super Mario World)
A metal orb plummets from the sky and crashes into the map, exploding and revealing the next area that is available. It looks pretty cool (i think anyways) What im also doing is some levels have more than one objective other than the basic get to the exit, If you achieve 1 objective then 1 new node opens on the map but if you complete the others they can lead to secret areas, levels and other fun things.

The actual system is easy to implement, the problems im having is trying to think of a decent way to save the map data efficiently, so im planning that before going ahead like i usually do and then end up with some weird, overly complex system.

I have also finished the Stone Golem mob, his AI is basic (due to his stone brain.....and my inabilitty to programme decent AI) He has no intrest in attacking you unless you shoot at him, then he comes at you. with every bullet that hits him he moves faster and faster until he dies, exploding into a glorious plume of cash!

Thanks for reading/looking and hope you had a nice xmas and all the best to you all in the new year

Oh and video very soon i promise  Beg

Windybeard OUT!

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 08:27:26 AM »

I have been working harder on this project more and more! Im in a deep love with it  Crazy
Only thing slowing me down is DAMN SKYRIM!!!
I have designed the main character, SHE is a serious piece of work, a space vigilante with more kickass abilities than Steven Segal (the early days).

Anyways enough babbling, here she is! let me know what you think.

Im also hard at work on the NPC interaction system, Currently it brings up the character on screen (the major images like the one above) and a chat box inbetween the characters which then fills with text like a type writer sort of thing.
Theres not going to be lots and lots of talking in the game but speaking to the NCC's will unlock new little missions and open up new levels.

Anyways as usual im happy to hear anyones comments on my work/ideas. Thanks and god speed.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »

I have just redesigned the Title text. I much prefer it, what one do you prefer?

New one. (is also animated on the screen in game and has a soft white glow around it)

Old One. (static on screen as shown)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic