Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:39:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[LD22] Brains!!!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [LD22] Brains!!!  (Read 1050 times)
odraencoded
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:38:24 AM »

My entry for LD22. Also my first finished game, if finished means you can lose and win.

Its a simple zombie apocalypse game, cheap graphics, cheap sounds, no BGM, procedural level generation, random AI, few levels.
There are 10 levels in total plus a bonus level if you finish the 10th level.
On top left you have your brains, if they get all nomed on by zombies you lose. They regenerate, by the way. On top right there is your zombie counter. Kill all of them to win the level.

Controls are Up, Down, Left and Right to move. Shift, Control or Space to shoot*, Enter to get through title/win/lose screens.
*Pro-tip: Use shift to shoot.

LINX!!!
Ludum Dare!
Zip'd Windows Exe
Natural disaster of C# code(A.K.A source)

Known issues:
Issue: I opened the game then it crashed!
Excuse: You probably need either .Net 2.0, OpenAL or a computer.

Issue: I pressed ESC and the game closed.
Excuse: So you didnt mean to ESCAPE the zombie apocalypse?

Issue: You cant pause the game.
Excuse: You cant pause a zombie apocalypse, prepare for it before starting the level.

Issue: Resizing the window makes the game weird.
Excuse: Then dont resize it.

Issue: I beat the 10th level but the bonus level was *censored*
Excuse: Think about it.

Issue: The game is too hard, I cant get past level <insertlevelhere>
Excuse: Then I hope you never get into a real zombie apocalypse.

Issue: I got a score of ZERO on level <insertlevelhere>
Excuse: Aim your shots.

Issue: WTF I'm shooting the zombies but they arent dying anymore!
Excuse: They are getting stronger! FOCUS ON ONE!
odraencoded
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:28 AM »

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THIS IMMEASURABLE AMMOUNT OF FEEDBACK. </caps>
madflame991
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »

Pros:
+ cute pixelated minimalist graphics
+ is pretty responsive and fast paced

Cons:
- how can I run and shoot the zombies that I'm running from at the same time??? Use the mouse to control in which way you're shooting or another pair of arrow keys like in "The binding of Isaac"
- not much diversity. Zombies come in subspecies, you know.
- could use some scripted waves
- could use some power-ups

I like lists :D

Don't feel bad because I've listed more cons than pros, it just means that there is room for improvement, and as a game dev, you like improving and developing even more.

bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 11:16:22 AM »

I had fun with it until about level four or five, when picking off the remaining 80 or 60 zombies became a chore. I didn't mind as much as the other guy that you could only shoot in one direction. It adds tension to the game and it's "realistic."  I died on level six and didn't particularly mind dying because the game experience was pretty much the same on each level: I avoided zombies long enough to corral them and then I picked them off when they were in a huge group. The only level out of five this didn't happen on is level three, I think.

Sometimes while I was shooting my character would get locked into going straight in one direction. It would help if it were easier to move fluidly while shooting.

You have to listen to the shooting sound through out the entire game, so make it lower pitched and quieter and just all around less annoying.

I like the graphics and I think you've got a seed of a fun arena shooter happening here. Maybe try different zombie movements, as the other guy said, and try different kinds of levels, in terms of layout and look. I also liked the way you do health, the way the brain counter goes down and up very rapidly, and I like the yellow handwriting telling you you've won or lost.
bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »

Oh, procedural generation. I dunno. Even with procedural generation I think you could add more variety every few levels, although I admit it will be much harder to do.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic