Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:14:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPuppet Children (2nd song on pg 10)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Puppet Children (2nd song on pg 10)  (Read 14692 times)
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »

This is the story of a little girl who lives in the sky. She falls out of the sky. Help her get back to the sky.
K, thanks.

NEW BUILD WITH SECOND MUSIC ADDITION: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29279751/Games/TUNES.exe

Gameplay

• Precision Platformer
  • Exploration

My goal is for the game to end up being like Knytt Stories for a hardcore gamer. Super Meat Boy and Metroid in a blender.

Inspiration

• Knytt Stories
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Hiyao Miyazaki
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:51:16 PM by Zack Bell » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »

Don't have much time to play now but had a quick game and it's coming along nicely. Lots of work done for three days work. Nice job.

What type of look are you going to be going for with the graphics?

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:04:06 PM »

Its cool, i like the death particle effect, I found it hard for a few reasons, the double jump over the spinning saws on lvl 2 was tough and those pistons that drop drop very very fast. other than that it was cool, Plus it would be good if the bad guys didnt always follow you so you could recover if you miss a shot at them

Other than that it plays quite well, it kinda reminds me a bit of N+ which is a great game. Keep up the awesome work!

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »

This...uh, bears absolutely no resemblance to Mega Man. Like, not in the least. I'm playing Meat Boy with a gun, and the color blue is nowhere to be found.

First of all, controls. Mega Man was a digital man, for a digital age. He didn't have one bit of this floating nonsense. You hold right, you're going right. You stop holding right, he stops. Right there. On the frame. He's no leaf, floating around in the wind! He's ROCKMAN! DRN-001 ROCKMAN!! ロックマン!!

Now, I'll admit, I have yet to play Super Meat Boy. I played the original, and it did not groove to my jive. But at least, from what I did play, most of the levels were about using the physics to your advantage. They all had a neat little path that flowed with the physics of the game, so you didn't have to fight with the floaty controls to go where you wanted to. Your jumps just led you there. Here, it feels like half the time I'm trying to make a jump, and it's one that would be really freakin' easy were I playing as Mega Man or even X. But here I'm flopping all over the place, trying with all my might to push my character in a rough direction to where I want to go. This ain't exactly puttin' the "precision" in "precision platformer", you know.

Secondly, hitboxes. Mega Man was really good at this. They were pretty big, yes, but they were fair. When a bullet hit you, you knew. When you hit something, you knew. Now, level three. I died like a dozen times to that first stupid ultra-plunger, and most of those times I was absolutely sure my bullets hit him. But they did not. (also, Mega Man was all about being forgiving toward enemy damage, what with its 28-health life bar, something which isn't exactly reciprocated here)

Finally, and then I'll shut up, walljumping. Look, I know it's cool to be shooting the other way when you are on the wall. And yeah, X did that, and he looked cool. But look at the stage design of Mega Man X. It didn't have tight little corridors where you accidentally might stick to the wall. Yet level 2 has a big one near the end of the level, with an enemy to boot! So you slide down the wall, are facing the wrong way, and have a retracta-pole comin' right downtown for some rear-end action.

Anyway, please forgive my criticism. It's just, I was really expecting some Mega Man action, and ended up with a face full of meat (boy). And I probably shouldn't be too hard on it, considering it's only a few days in development. Still, I think you should at least be aware of these issues now, so you have more time to decide where to go from here! Good luck, and I'm interested in seeing how this develops!
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »

New Day #1

The game has been changed beyond recognition, but this will be a good thing. The style of gameplay that I was going for was almost "too fast" for me to add a proper combat system.

Because of this I have stripped most of the gameplay elements. The game is now going to be an open world exploration game that is strongly influenced by the works of Hiyao Miyazaki.

Updates and sprites coming tomorrow Coffee

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:24:42 PM »

That is a huge change, essentially a different game?

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »

Yes, it is essentially a different game. The only thing that is not changing is the controls and overall feel of the gameplay.

If you have played the original build (which no longer exists), then you will feel comfortable with the next build.

I feel as if the gameplay premise for the original idea doesn't work. They didn't give meat boy a gun for a reason and I am not willing to slow down the gameplay because I feel like it made it feel less fun and addictive.

The story and design will change, but I didn't feel like starting a new devLog. Do you think I should anyway?

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 11:18:15 AM »

Day 2

I couldn't sleep last night so I implemented a title screen with new, continue, and exit. I then created save points and implemented the saving and loading features. Lastly, I reworked the room changing scripts and ended up adopting and modifying the one from the Grandma Engine.

Also, I'll leave this here (WIP) :

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »

Herror is just too good. This is worth an illegal bump  Cool

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »

Another mockup

Colors are still pending, but this is the general feel.

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »

The graphics are like pietpiet and im9today had a baby and this was produced. (This is a good thing)

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »

Why, thank you. Herror is doing the art and I am doing the programming. So far we are collaborating on the design for the most part.

Coffee

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »

I liked the red version more.  Who, Me?

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »

Yeah, I think I do too. I just set up another room and the transition from the first tileset to the second looks better with the red one. The blue looked too similar for some reason.  Cave Story

RED:

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »

Playing with lights.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »

Thanks, man! I've tried several approaches now. The first was a simple surface that I cut holes out of (similar to Spelunky and Momodora). I also tried using Easy Lighting and playing with the alpha and the colors. The screenshot was an interesting blend of both, haha.

Coffee

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 01:06:56 PM »

Addicted
 Hand Shake Left

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »

Evil Toast Right
 Hand Shake Left

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »

This looks awesome, i love the character animation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic