Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1036675 Posts in 41855 Topics- by 33474 Members - Latest Member: yibojiang

August 27, 2014, 09:15:18 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackPlaytestingInfinite Pew Pew Action
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Pew Pew Action  (Read 2548 times)
msilver
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »

I like the newer cross hair.

The graphics are nice.

I wanted to have places to go and things to see though. A Zelda style adventure in this abstract setting could be interesting, though it would be admittedly less "infinite." Doing it procedurally would be tough.

SFX are satisfying (Sounds like they were generated by SFXR?)

Also, not sure if "Action" adds much to your title. I kind of like "Infinite Pew Pew"

suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 02:34:14 AM »

I'm thinking about creating more random terrain that may hang around for limited time, like a sort of temporary arena set up that comes and goes, in different shapes and sizes, adding to it enemy swarm formations that can generate within that.

This is my first attempt at random generation and what I am doing is very primitive, but I think unity is going to be a great help making more advanced formations.

Yes, it is all SFXR sounds Grin

I also really like the idea of discovering new things a lot in games so this would be awesome too. The possibility of always finding something new is fantastic. Thanks for the tips. Now I just need more time to actually get some of these ideas in the game.

suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »

I've finally sorted out a way to do my procedural mazes/terrain obstacles for this game and the world is still infinite Grin.

You can play the updated build at the same location http://amethystquarter.com/pewpew/ the terrain is now a bit more maze-like which makes avoiding enemies more interesting. I think it could use more dead-end passages for more of a challenge. Thoughts on this idea?

I have also added enemies that move at different speeds. I plan on giving some enemies bullets eventually when I have time (the day job is wearing me out a little lately).

Let me know what you think.

jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »

I like the changes you made to the game. The obstacles make it more challenging which I enjoy. However,  I wish the thing I played had health (maybe it could be optional) because it was slightly annoying to die by just touching an enemy after earning many points. Having dead ends would definitely make the game more interesting, I think you should try that. I am glad enemies move faster though it would probably be better if the faster enemies didn't come until one reached a certain number of points to balance the difficulty. Giving some enemy bullets is a good idea.
I'm loving the game overall, can't wait to see how the game turns out!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:45:13 AM by jakomocha » Logged
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »

I liked the randomly popping up obstacles better, the maze makes the whole experience feel much more rigid and the player can abuse it too easily.

You could try making the walls appear and disappear based on the situation, e.g. pop them up to block the player's passage if he keeps going in one direction, or lower them to give the monsters access to the player, or do both to try and "guide" the player in the direction of a group of monsters, etc.

And one more small thing - in the last few seconds of a power-up's timer you could flash the player's color to indicate that it's about to end.
suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »

Thanks for the feedback I did try and make these obstacles pop up in a more uniform fashion but it started to become too difficult so I caved and did it this way which was simple and effective. I may go back and try to make them go down and up randomly to guide the player and enemies as you said.

The flashing thing I will definitely look into thanks for the tip Wink

beto
Level 0

Game Designer @ Aduge Studio

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »

Hehe this one got me kinda addicted! =)
I like these games.

I had some troubles to get used to aiming with the mouse but having to shoot only towards where I'm facing.
If it's really a design decision to make thins this way, it would be nicer to have the character turn faster when you stop moving and try to shoot on an opposite direction (and rebalance the game according to this).

I've seen that different colored enemies are really different, aren't they?
The blue one seemed to be slower.
If that's the case I'd make them more different (right now they seem to be almost the same, specially between the red and green).
Also it would be nice to attribute different values to them, according to their challenge.

Try to implement a simple pathfinding system.
I think it would improve greatly the feel of the game if the enemies didn't get stuck on walls.

Good job you're doing here =)

Aduge's first fully fledged game, A Night In-Between, has been released and needs your vote on Greenlight to get on Steam.
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »

I had a really good time with this game. A couple of things i think could be really fun would be cubes with negative consequences like slowing you down or bringing on hordes of baddies. Also, a dash function would be cool. 

Caran Elmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 04:08:24 AM »

Very funny despite being so simple! I think almost all the points have been made here: I agree on more enemy types and maybe enemy waves. I think the graphics need just a little spicing (the minimal style is perfect)... maybe some subtle post-processing? or tron-trails, like someone already said. The gamepad control scheme is by far the best, but I believe this is a problem common to every arena shooter.

Keeping an eye on this to see further improvement! Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Vurb
Level 0

Vurb (game developer)

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 06:32:19 AM »

very addictive nice game.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »

Played it for about 30 sec. before I got bored.  Didn't get a single shot thrown at me by an enemy, and I had to hunt them down to find them.  Needs a hard mode for crazy players like me .. lol

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic