Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:21:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHiko Run
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Hiko Run  (Read 22982 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »

Hi everyone, been on these forums for awhile now and really enjoyed looking at everyone's devlogs and just thought it was time for me to show what I've been working on.

This is my first game attempt so have been trying to keep it simple (although that's proved false in many instances). The game I've been working on is a Canabalt type running game (Not very original I know but really just been for me to learn how to make a game and the process involved).

I'm using Flash to make it and am aiming it for Android mobiles. Been play testing it on my Samsung Galaxy and have got it running pretty well.

The backgrounds have changed quite a few times up to this point and am still working on them. Still not completely happy with the look.

Really am just trying to keep the game very short and simple so that I can finish my first game and move onto some more actual original ideas.

Any feedback would be appreciated  Smiley

Link:
HikoRun_04 Link

Instructions:
- Your goal is to catch the flying circle with the stolen heart. You can shoot it to slow it down.
- Click on white circle when big to shoot (Have to wait for charge bar to fill up).
- Click anywhere on the screen to jump and hold down to jump higher.

Working On:
- Backgrounds
- Badguy to stand out from backgrounds;
- Ending
- Shoot animation
- Shoot side select
- Menu animation
- Sound

If anyone wants the apk file also just let me know.

UPDATED GAME GIF - 10 January 2016:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:29:02 PM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »

Really nice, needs a lot more polish though. Please, change the art and add some sound, it will be so much better.

Laxwolf

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »

I think the art looks all right. If you're going to be running on mobile, it's going to be scaled down a bit? That's why I figured the art was a bit pixellated. Have you tested it on Android to see what kind of framerate you get?

I think there needs to be more contrast with the player character and the background. The player has black outlines on a black background. At the very least, consider making the lines a gray instead to make it pop out. Same with the heart, which has a black outline. Make it white.

It's friggin hard as hell to play just clicking. Can you put in keyboard controls? It's hard to jump and shoot. It wasn't clear what the point of the game was, I thought it was just to jump but I clicked around and found that button. I went back and read your post and that cleared it up, but think about how to make it clear what the goal is without having to explain it.

One part that confused me was the big gap with no ground on the bottom. How are you supposed to cross that?

You've done a good job at keeping your scope small for a first game and actually finishing it. If you're planning on looping the stage like it is, make it at least a bit longer and if you can add in new patterns as you progress.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

Hey thanks for the feedback guys really helps and all valid thought's that had crossed my mind. Except for the shoot button thing. Hadn't considered that but great point. I'm actually pretty happy with the graphics of the character. And know everything else needs work. Looks alot neater on mobile though.

The backgrounds were just changed before making the post and that's why things don't stand out at the moment.

Will work on the graphics and update soon. And I'll try and add some temporary keyboard controls. Just meant for mobiles so haven't bothered but can see it would be a hassle without it.

Also it's not very clear but after those two platforms where the gap comes up you need to jump off at the last instant to grab a platform in the roof. The level is also randomly organised with about 10 different platforms, should probably add more...

And not very good at sound so haven't even approached that aspect of the game. Probably last thing I'll approach.

Screenshot
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:42:00 PM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »

Have now updated the first link with a version that allows keyboard controls.

Link:
HikoRun_01

Also changed some of the graphics.

Controls:
Up Arrow = Jump
Spacebar = Shoot

And a Merry Christmas to everyone, hope everyone's having a good one.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:49:11 AM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »

Just a small gif update showing the animation when your shots hit walls

Shot Wall Dissolve

Also been working on the overall look and really happy with the way it's all going. Will post some new screenshots soon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:40:28 PM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:04 AM »

Finished adding a dust trail to the figure as he runs on platforms.

Run Animation with dust trail

Running well on my samsung galaxy mobile. Will have to upload the apk for anyone who wants to try it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:41:20 PM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:04:27 AM »

Added in an option to select which side of the screen the player wants the shoot button on their mobile.

New background look
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:39:29 PM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:43 AM »

Have started working on sound using sfxr and so far it's a slow process. Turns out there was a reason I never approached it, I suck at it  Screamy

So have taken another break from it and am now working on the death animations for all the different angles. Set up different death function calls depending on the collision which calls the particular animation.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »

Finished death animations and moved onto options menu.

You can now not only select which side you want the shoot button, but also which version of the character you want to play with. Second character was my first design when I was messing around at the start of it all and decided I should just through it in also.

Options Menu

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »

Worked on making the flying enemy stand out when he's in front of the moon. Now he has a black outline which looks better in-game then on just a white background.

Goal Animation

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »

Finished creating the menu animation that lets the player know what the goal of the game is. Still working on what the speech bubbles/thought bubbles should actually show and say though. Any suggestions appreciated  Smiley

Menu Animation

Also speed of the gif is faster then in-game.

Game now at 90%... almost there...

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 05:03:16 AM »

The pillars that pop out of the ground to block your way are really dark and hard to notice.

I died on the first part with the walls opening up because I hit the side of the wall.  Why does the player die like this?  He should only die if he is trapped between the wall and the edge of the screen.

It could use some more gameplay elements, but I understand you're trying to keep it simple, so ..
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:45 AM »

Hey Franklins Ghost,

Nice work. Sort of reminds me of Canabalt. However, I do think the generation of the levels needs a bit more work. Sometimes, I would come to a situation where it was impossible for me to jump. Also, the art style seems to clash between pixelated, realistic and cartoony. I think you if you just stick to one style and vibe on it, you end result would be more pleasing aesthetically.

My two cents. Smiley

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 07:04:59 AM »

Loving the new background! looks awesome. Im a little confused, i kept running and jumping and shooting the flying thing, caught it then everything ended. is that supposed to happen.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »

Hey thanks for the feedback guys  Smiley

The pillars that pop out of the ground to block your way are really dark and hard to notice.

I died on the first part with the walls opening up because I hit the side of the wall.  Why does the player die like this?  He should only die if he is trapped between the wall and the edge of the screen.

It could use some more gameplay elements, but I understand you're trying to keep it simple, so ..

I've uploaded the latest version of the game which replaced the old pillars and hopefully has made it clearer.

The opening walls have now been fixed to open up automatically so hopefully that fixes the getting trapped issue.

Would love to add more gameplay elements but really just wanted to complete a basic short game for my first(although this has still taken me ages to make).

Sort of reminds me of Canabalt. However, I do think the generation of the levels needs a bit more work. Sometimes, I would come to a situation where it was impossible for me to jump. Also, the art style seems to clash between pixelated, realistic and cartoony. I think you if you just stick to one style and vibe on it, you end result would be more pleasing aesthetically.

Definite Canabalt influence here, was just trying to make something simple for my first game. There is a moment where you come to a final high platform and from that one you have to jump at the last moment and reach the one in the ceiling with the rungs. Then you'll climb along and fall onto the following platform. Also been trying to make the art style more cohesive, so hopefully it works better with the latest version.

Loving the new background! looks awesome. Im a little confused, i kept running and jumping and shooting the flying thing, caught it then everything ended. is that supposed to happen.

Thanks, really happy you like the new background. Was hoping people would like it. Also that is the ending for the moment. Haven't really thought of a proper ending yet so that's it for now. But I know it's very abrupt and really needs something.

Thanks again for all the feedback and messages guys  Gentleman Really helps with the motivation to finish this project. Have uploaded the latest version of the game with all the devlog updates till now incorporated.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:56:28 AM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

Been working on fixing little mistakes I've found through the game.

Started adding sound by James Primate (http://brightprimate.tk) So now have great menu and game themes added. Also started trying to get the SFX included.

Have added music and SFX buttons in options, so now the player can also choose whether they want music or SFX while playing. Strange thing on the iPhone and Android is that it doesn't matter if your phone is on silent it will still play the game music until you turn it off in game. Not sure how I'm going to fix that....

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 07:32:59 PM »

Game has slowed down with just trying to get the sound working properly and tweaking the crazy messy code. Have created a little app icon for the game though.

Game Icon

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:07:05 AM »

I can't wait to see it all music and sfx'd up!

honest question though: in the menu screen, where the character is chasing the flying heart and has the BONER thought bubble... my question is,,, are you man enough to keep that in when you submit to the app store? because you gotta keep that in Grin

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »

I can't wait to see it all music and sfx'd up!

honest question though: in the menu screen, where the character is chasing the flying heart and has the BONER thought bubble... my question is,,, are you man enough to keep that in when you submit to the app store? because you gotta keep that in Grin

Thanks and yeah have now replaced that image cause knew I had no chance of getting it through with it. Also it was just a joke while I was developing it and couldn't think of anything else. Still haven't really decided what I want to replace the bubbles with, so for now it's all the same except the thought bubble just says "idiot". Hopefully will think of something better soon.

The music is sounding great so far, so thanks again for that. Just working on getting the sfx going now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic