Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411422 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:07:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHiko Run
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Hiko Run  (Read 23084 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »

Tested the game on a friends iPad 2 today and it ran perfectly, no dropped frames and no hiccups. Really nice to see it running well. Still runs at just over half the framerate it's meant to on the iPad 1 though so that sucks. Will give cleaning up the code another look at and hopefully can get it running better but for now it looks like the first iPad won't be supported  Sad

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 05:33:34 AM »

Now that I'm so close to the end, I seem to have really slowed down on finishing this. Too many other distractions at the moment.

This is the image I'm using on my website of the game on the iPad.

Game on iPad
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:36:10 PM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »

Haven't done much work on this lately.

Just fixed a sound bug where when you pressed the HOME button on your phone the sound would keep playing. Now it stops it and resumes from where you were when you open it again.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 12:50:39 AM »

keep it rolling!! it looks great on those iPad pics  Toast Left

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 04:55:53 AM »

Thanks James, did you get the iPad file I sent?

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »

I did! I actually just installed it (had trouble figuring out how to install .ipa files, stupid apple), but it runs awesome on iPad 2 and full screen is a blast. sounds good, great vibe! I might suggest a dedicated jump button? idk, but other than that <3 it

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »

Good point about the jump button, hadn't really considered it since I first started the game. But will have to consider it again  Undecided

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 06:03:48 PM »

I actually like how you add the shooting the flying object part though. It requires some timing skill in order to land an accurate shot. The atmosphere is nice, and I was nervous and excited every time I make a high jump, trying to grab the ceiling!

One big problem I found is the scoring system. The scoring and the goal are against each other. You want to catch the flying head( is it a flying head? I based this on the title screen), but as soon as you catch it, the game's over. So the best way to get a score is to NOT shoot the head but keep running until you catch up to it. If that's the case, then the shooting feature is useless. It requires skill to shoot the target but the player don't get any reward in return.

There are many ways to improve this in the endurance running game, for example you could...
1.) Combo/Chain system : Collecting the score items consecutively will increase the score gained from the item.
2.) Give points to each successful shot
3.) Force player to shoot. Maybe the head can shoot something back and you can either jump over it or shoot your own energy ball to nullify his attack.

Good luck with the game!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:05 PM »

Thanks for the great feedback Hima  Smiley Definitely a nice kick to get me working again.

The scoring thing is something that I realised awhile ago and am surprised no one else has mentioned. Definitely an issue at the moment because it is completely pointless. Keep remembering about it and then something else pops up and I get distracted and stop thinking about it. Really was just a test when I first started the game to see if I could add a scoring and highscore system. Then I completely forgot about what the point of it was. First game and guess I was just learning and testing what I could do.

Will definitely have to figure something for it. Maybe a countdown timer which you have to beat before it gets to zero or the bad guy will get away? So if you don't shoot him the time will run out quicker and the items you collect could add seconds?

Haven't really been working on this lately so that's been an issue and have actually started some new projects.

Should really get back to working on this game though and finishing off the last few things.

So thanks again for the feedback and good luck finishing your game Smiley

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 05:27:33 AM »

Had noticed that the second character you can use is actually larger then the first, so spent a bit of time today fixing the dimensions of the character. Scaled him down to fit in better with the first player. Small fix, but nice to be back working on it with some actual goals and targets.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »

Started implementing the new scoring system using a timer instead of score. So the faster you finish the higher up on the scoring system you finish. Feels better going in this new direction and makes alot more sense.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »

Been working on the ending of the game again and happier with the new explosion animation.

Explosion Animation

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 03:27:54 AM »

I swear I've seen that explosion before as a smaller animated GIF .. with less red. 
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:13 AM »

yeah I drew it using the second one on this website http://bestanimations.com/Military/Explosions/Explosions.html

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »

Have implemented the new scoring system which just tracks how long it takes you to capture the flying guy. Nothing to complicated with it but it'll do. So the more times you're able to shoot him the better time you'll end up with.

Seem to be struggling to finish the last bits. Feels like it's hard to decide when something is done and should be let go. Especially since this was just meant to be a learning experience. Anyone have any advice on what their process is for finishing the final steps of their game?

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 12:15:06 AM »

Updated first post with latest link of the game.

HikoRun_03 Online Link
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:50:46 AM by Franklins Ghost » Logged

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »

hehehe, the explosion makes winning awesome, lots of fun to play, keep it up Smiley

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »

I really love the "arcade" feeling!
Is it because of the sprite that is larger than Canabalt's character ?
The music score works perfectly too, and I'd love to hear some fat & loud SFX as well.
Love it.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »

Thanks Jackson31 and astrofra means a lot coming from you guys Gentleman

And yeah the music is awesome. Done by jamesprimate

Really hoping to finish the game in the next month because have been putting it off for to long. Was really only meant to be a test to see if I could complete my first game and get it to work well on iOS and Android. Have lots of other ideas I want to start working with, so looking forward to finishing this.

Been trying to record a gameplay video but having no luck with the framerate being horrible in the video. Will just have to keep trying Sad

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:43 PM »

Have been working on adding in playtomic to track some statistics. Never really done much tracking in flash games so been interesting to work with. Like their heatmap feature, but still haven't got it working completely right.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic