Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1043525 Posts in 42280 Topics- by 33948 Members - Latest Member: Sibertooth

September 18, 2014, 11:46:01 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTutorialsWant to know how to make 2d games, dont know what to use, Help Plz?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Want to know how to make 2d games, dont know what to use, Help Plz?  (Read 1612 times)
fatalblur
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: December 27, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »

So, I've been wanting to learn how to make games for a long time("small" 2ds, like meatboy, Monaco, and such)I read all these tutorials, but I don't really know where to start or what programs to use, the one thing I want to kind of stay away from is something like gamemaker, because if I learned that and eventually moved on to something like Flixel, I feel it would be a hard transition, I kind of want to delve right into programming or whatever(kind of have very little idea if I make sense or if when you read this I'll sound dumb, so I apologize).

So, I guess what I'm aiming for, is a very easy engine and programming language, and whatever else I may need, and something that is relatively easy to learn, for a while I was kind of aiming for flixel or flashpunk, but I still don't know what else to get, like where to program it in.

I am a noob, but I do know how to make ok-ish pixel art, which is pretty much all I have going for me, besides a basic understanding of html(very basic).

So, I want to know all the different programs(components) I need, and any suggestions if possible,as well as any guides/tutorials, if that isn't asking too much. TY <3

TL;DR Noob to making games, need to know what programs I need/should get, no understanding of programming languages, guides would be helpful       
Nix
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »

Well, most people who use Game Maker use the built-in scripting language which is fairly full-featured. That means you can benefit from everything GM has to offer and still get experience programming. You can also look at LOVE which is in Lua, Flixel like you mentioned as well as FlashPunk, or Construct or Stencyl. There are a bunch of good choices. Just look around, try them all, and settle on the one that you find the easiest for you understand and use.
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:58:54 PM »

Game Maker was very easy for me to understand. I am in college and working towards a Computer Science degree (meaning that I often work with "traditional" languages like C++, Java, etc) and I still use Game Maker for most of my personal projects.

I don't think that using it will hold you back in any way. Especially not at this point.  Coffee

fatalblur
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »

Alright guys thanks for the help, my New Years resolution is to learn and get really into an engine, probably either GameMaker,Flixel, or Flashpunk, and release 3 small game ideas I've been wanting to make for a while. From what I've seen and heard about game development that's probably a tough goal, but at least I'll try, thanks guys. Smiley
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:13 AM »

Locked. Please don't start new threads asking for help or requesting tutorials. Use the stickied threads for that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic