Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:21:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralJessica Nigri cosplays as Curly Brace
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Jessica Nigri cosplays as Curly Brace  (Read 18754 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »

This girl is Jessica Nigri, a (semi?) famous cosplayer who dresses as video game and anime characters. You may know her for her Pikachu cosplay and Zero Suit Samus among others...

But what's this? Now she's dressed as Curly Brace from Cave Story?? I just find it a bit interesting that this girl chooses to dress up as a character from an indie game she probably never heard of until a couple weeks ago when all of her other characters and references are from exclusively popular sources like Halo, Skyrim, and Pokemon.

Just another example of indie games becoming mainstream, I guess Facepalm
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:44:50 PM by phubans » Logged

iffi
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:44:36 PM »

Somehow I could tell who started this thread before even reading the full title.

That being said, this thread made me realize that I haven't seen many Cave Story cosplays at all. (Meanwhile, I can count at least three Touhou cosplays in the group right behind her...)
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

that's me on the left

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »

I find it kind of presumptuous to assume she didn't know about Cave Story until briefly before she did the cosplay. Do you have evidence to back up this claim?

There's nothing facepalm worthy in this thread. Somebody did a Curly Brace cosplay. There is no reason you should get upset over this.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »

Just another example of indie games becoming mainstream, I guess Facepalm
Never heard of the girl, but good games should be mainstream.  Cave story is a good game and it's good that people like it.

The idea that games being more obscure somehow makes them better is stupid.  Also, the idea that games being more mainstream somehow ruins them is also stupid.  The amount of hype behind a game rarely has anything to do with how good a game is.  I hate seeing good indie games get popular, then indie devs basically write off the game as plebeian since a lot of people liked it.

Because seriously, if a good game is getting hyped, that's a good thing.

hi
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 06:11:44 PM »

I agree with J. R.

C'MON PAUL. Facepalm
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »

Okay, I'm going to try and explain my frustration with this. Cave Story is a game that I found out about 5 or 6 years ago and I really loved it. It's greatness had nothing to do with it being obscure, and I'm happy that it's getting a 3DS remake and all of these PC & Wii ports; the game deserves recognition.

I think my issue with this is the case of Jessica's timing; she had 7 years to choose a cosplay like this but didn't do it until now; right when Cave Story has blown up with mainstream success on the 3DS. Not the original PC release, not the Wii port, but the 3DS remake. Why now? No, I won't be vague; she's doing this now because it's trendy, and that's what bothers me.

This is a girl who exploits the sensibilities of the male nerd's libido, who would never date a single one of any of us, and who probably couldn't care less about "indie" games unless they're suddenly popular and on no less than 3 platforms. I just think it's bullshit that she's suddenly exploiting the indie scene now that it's really starting to take off.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »

Does this mean Hollywood can make a Cave Story movie now?

I find it kind of presumptuous to assume she didn't know about Cave Story until briefly before she did the cosplay. Do you have evidence to back up this claim?

It is because she is blonde, does not wear glasses, does not have facial hair, and is somewhat attractive. This type of physical appearance is not in accordance with the independent spirit. Evidence has suggested that Bobby Kotick's hitmen are probably all attractive blondes, because this is shown to be the ideal body type to infiltrate the houses of bespectacled game developers with unusual facial hair. After the initial seduction, these developers' brains are violently extracted and preserved in a huge network of interconnected tubes, which serves as a wetware network used to make the next great mane-stream hit in mere weeks.

EDIT:

who would never date a single one of any of us

welp.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:34:42 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
leonelc29
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:31:25 PM »

it's not a bad thing to be trendy, at least it let people have some sort of target audience.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

wha.....t?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »

i'm making huge air quotes with the entire length of my arm and yelling the phrase "famous cosplayer" as i contemplate life. specifically yours.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »

Ah, well I guess this thread is another +1 to good looks/vapidity winning out over intelligence, talent, creativity, and genuine interest.

I'm sad the point was so missed.

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »

She's not very attractive (face), and I know not of this 'us' of which you speak. Girls aren't riddles. This is pretty predictable behaviour.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »

Ah, well I guess this thread is another +1 to good looks/vapidity winning out over intelligence, talent, creativity, and genuine interest.

Yes, dude, it's true... I saw Jessica Nigiri on the cover of Gamebro Magazine today, whereas Pixel himself was relegated to just a single footnote.

Sad times, indeed.
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:51:09 PM »

Uhhh.... life?

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »

Are you talking about Cave Story or Jessica Nigri now?

(drums)

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
anonymous
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »

I heard of modest mouse before they went big.  this reminds me of that.
leonelc29
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »

i know what you're trying to say, but maybe i don't really care about that thing, as most human being around me act like this. in my case, Angry Bird, Minecraft, and a bunch of internet meme. nobody freaking care what is it despite my effort of sharing and telling friend about it. but when it get mainstreamed, everyone talk about it. just a part of life, i guess.

Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

OHH COME ON!
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »

Just once, I'd like to see someone dress up as the protagonist from The Guardian Legend or Emperor Gestahl from FFVI...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:02:06 PM by phubans » Logged

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »

I think there's a lot of untapped cosplay potential in the Parasite Queen from Metroid Prime.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »

If she's a famous cosplay model... Isn't there a chance she got, like, paid for that gig? What.

Also why cosplay as a character if no one around you will have heard of it? It would have made no sense to do that cosplay before Cave Story became popular mainstream, unless you wanted to tout hipsteriffic pride: "Oh, this is Curly Brace from Cave Story, but, you probably haven't heard of it."

Cool your jets man, FFS. It's a cosplay.
It is not symbolic for a loss of intelligence, talent, creativity, or interest.
It's a girl cosplaying as a character from a video game which has recently gained mainstream popularity. We do not know anything about her interest in the series or knowledge before hand, and it is pretty damn rude to hold such negative assumptions against her when you don't know how it really is.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic