Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:13:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCity of Steam
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: City of Steam  (Read 9695 times)
CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »

Hey everyone, I'm Ethan and I work for an indie games developer, Mechanist Games. We're working on our debut title, City of Steam, a free-to-play browser-based MMORPG.

If you've known of City of Steam and been keeping an eye on it since the game went public, be sure to sign up for our newsletter and follow our dev journals for up-to-date game development.

To those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprise, we're an indie developer, so getting widespread recognition is relatively harder for us). It's a browser-based MMORPG featuring a mix of industrial fantasy and steampunk elements, lightweight enough to play smoothly on even non-gaming computers and accessible straight from your browser. Even then, thanks to Unity 3D and a lot of in-house tools, we've managed to still make it look quite impressive,and all stored in but a few megabytes.Visit the World Machine page link to take a better look at this animated world below.

For a better picture of the game, check our latest Closed Beta Trailer, a lot has changed and imporved since then, but it can still give a good idea for what we plan to make of our game:

Edit:

Hello all, we've opened gates of Nexus again, Beta is now launched and ready to play. Visit the link below if you don't have an account yet and start your journey in just minutes!
http://cos.r2games.com/signup

Thanks to your continuous support of our game, City of Steam has finally been approved on Valve's Greenlight approval system. We are thankful for everyone who voted for us and who spread the word! If you want to know more, you can find the full announcement here: http://cos.r2games.com/news/view/?id=1731

Also, we wrote up a dev journal (though delayed!), along with a

, about the showcase of City of Steam at PAX East and GDC 2013.

We may be small, but we're very receptive to player feedback too, and strive to openly discuss the development process. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll respond to any questions you may have!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:38:20 PM by CrazyEthan » Logged

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork beings, and countless unknown evils.
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »

Our world needs more steampunk. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:08:38 AM by verticalvertex » Logged

It's all good.
CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »

The our world needs more steampunk. Best of luck.

Cool, thanks man, we really want to make a cool game!

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork beings, and countless unknown evils.
Kapser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »

Looks pretty cool! I hate mmos but I love steampunk and I like how we can zoomout to play it like Diablo. There seem to be a good amount of area of effect spells, which is nice.
However, it's not the first game like this I see called mmorpg. Is this an online rpg or an actual mmorpg? By that I mean is there a massive ammount of players at the same time in one server or private games?

Since the dungeons are randomly generated I guess it's more like diablo+steampunk than typical mmo? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just wondering if you guys were planning some sort of worldmap, PVP, that kind of jazz.

edit: I see a world category on the site 'coming soon', I'll keep an eye on it.
Sph!nx
Level 0

Kenneth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:42:30 AM »

I'm not really into MMORPG's but this looks awesome. Love steampunk. I'll be following this!

Regards,
Kenneth
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »

This looks OBSCENELY polished, and the environment designs are looking lovely.  I'd love to sign up when it comes out.
CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »

Looks pretty cool! I hate mmos but I love steampunk and I like how we can zoomout to play it like Diablo. There seem to be a good amount of area of effect spells, which is nice.
However, it's not the first game like this I see called mmorpg. Is this an online rpg or an actual mmorpg? By that I mean is there a massive ammount of players at the same time in one server or private games?

Since the dungeons are randomly generated I guess it's more like diablo+steampunk than typical mmo? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just wondering if you guys were planning some sort of worldmap, PVP, that kind of jazz.

edit: I see a world category on the site 'coming soon', I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your question and interest. I can say that it will be more like an online RPG but the design of the CITY means that the quantity of players mingling about will be like that of an MMORPG. There will definitely be a world map, I mean we have one but we're working on a webplayer interactive version of it (refer to world in City of Steam,the World Machine) at the moment.

CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »

This looks OBSCENELY polished, and the environment designs are looking lovely.  I'd love to sign up when it comes out.
Thanks.The alpha test will come out soon, please sign up for our Newsletter, and get the priority on alpha key and other in-depth developments.

CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »

I'm not really into MMORPG's but this looks awesome. Love steampunk. I'll be following this!
Thanks mam. Truly, we'd love to answer any questions from gamers, don't hesitate to ask and discuss on our community.

CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »

We are approaching the sneak-peek alpha test, and we need some input on where priorities should be placed for some content. Please help us out by voting for your favorite races on our fourm and you can have up to 4 options! Thanks.

AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »

I am speechless. 2012 is going to be a great year!

This looks very well made and promising game, can't wait to see a demo Wink

As for my favorite race/class, I can't really say because I don't play a lot of MMOs so I don't really know much about that kind of stuff, but I can tell you that they all have a striking similary to the races in the elder scrolls (all your just missing is a race of cats).

Btw, the screenshots look low quality compared to the video...just saying

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »

This looks very nice.  Incredibly polished as well.

I can say that it will be more like an online RPG but the design of the CITY means that the quantity of players mingling about will be like that of an MMORPG. There will definitely be a world map, I mean we have one but we're working on a webplayer interactive version of it (refer to world in City of Steam,the World Machine) at the moment.

So you're going kinda the Guild Wars route with the MMO hub, multiplayer RPG missions?  I liked how that worked out in Guild Wars, and I'm not generally a fan of MMOs, so this is looking pretty promising.

CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »

I am speechless. 2012 is going to be a great year!

This looks very well made and promising game, can't wait to see a demo Wink

As for my favorite race/class, I can't really say because I don't play a lot of MMOs so I don't really know much about that kind of stuff, but I can tell you that they all have a striking similary to the races in the elder scrolls (all your just missing is a race of cats).

Btw, the screenshots look low quality compared to the video...just saying

Haha, thanks, we try hard to make our debut game look cool. We are focusing on City of Steam and continually improving, adding features, fixing bugs, writing up quests and lore, and creating hundreds of dungeons. It will look better when we reach the alpha version!

CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »

This looks very nice.  Incredibly polished as well.

I can say that it will be more like an online RPG but the design of the CITY means that the quantity of players mingling about will be like that of an MMORPG. There will definitely be a world map, I mean we have one but we're working on a webplayer interactive version of it (refer to world in City of Steam,the World Machine) at the moment.

So you're going kinda the Guild Wars route with the MMO hub, multiplayer RPG missions?  I liked how that worked out in Guild Wars, and I'm not generally a fan of MMOs, so this is looking pretty promising.

The idea was based on noting the frustration many people had with wandering for such a long to get to any quests in many MMORPGs out there. Like WoW, walk walk walk walk, ooo a quest!

We want to provide that alternative so that players can wander around the city in City of Steam (who would have thought it was a city?), make acquaintances and then head into the dungeons for some fun.

We also want to make it clear that if you don't want to know anybody, well walk right by and go in and play it like an RPG. Will there be dungeons that will be better suited for multi-player? Absolutely, but we think of it like an online RPG with MMO characteristics.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »

I keep clicking into this thread and clicking out, "Oh right, that MMORPG".

It looks nice. I add my voice to the chorus of, "Not interested in MMO's but this looks good". MMORPG's are a crowded field, everyone wants a piece of Blizzard's pie and everyone's friends just want to make a WoW that they think will be better - and may even be better, but it's the players that make the MMO, generally, not the game itself.

I'm not meaning to slam your efforts at all, just voice this - have you considered making a solo player gam? If you can make a solo player gam that looks like this and tie it together with a none-too-shabby story, I think you could easily compete with the likes of Bioware's titles and others.

It'd be a shame to see something like this consigned to the same treatment that hundreds of other obscure MMO's get.

And the other thing, aren't the green goblin critters in Fable called Hobbes?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:07:33 AM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

I keep clicking into this thread and clicking out, "Oh right, that MMORPG".

It looks nice. I add my voice to the chorus of, "Not interested in MMO's but this looks good". MMORPG's are a crowded field, everyone wants a piece of Blizzard's pie and everyone's friends just want to make a WoW that they think will be better - and may even be better, but it's the players that make the MMO, generally, not the game itself.

I'm not meaning to slam your efforts at all, just voice this - have you considered making a solo player gam? If you can make a solo player gam that looks like this and tie it together with a none-too-shabby story, I think you could easily compete with the likes of Bioware's titles and others.

It'd be a shame to see something like this consigned to the same treatment that hundreds of other obscure MMO's get.

And the other thing, aren't the green goblin critters in Fable called Hobbes?

Actually, I think you've captured what we're trying to do with City of Steam. It isn't a traditional WoW clone, it is an online RPG. I'm sure you've played WoW and walked for ages before being able to enter battle,etc. We went with the City aspect because you can make your small team and enter the 'dungeons' or go by yourself right away. Our game is based off a series of RPG books called The New Epoch, written by the GM/lead designer, David Lindsay, so I think we are working with a well-defined world with a rich history and background. Just check out our website and you can see the history background is there and we have tons of flavor items. My personal favorite is the set of newspapers that players can read. There are different perspectives depending on which publication and from which in-game country it originates from.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I hope that cleared up a few things. I mean we are no Blizzard or Bethesda here but we hope we have a game that people enjoy and show that browser games can be quite awesome.

CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »

Please sign up for a key and try the game out, then provide feedback, thanks!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »

If I wasn't so busy, I'd be all up in this. I might jump into this with some friends who are looking for an online game, but maybe the weekend after next.

One thing that isn't obvious from this thread or the website - how do you intend to monetize the game after it releases? Flat fee, subscription, microtransaction, etc?

Also, the opening post does not convey that the game is a third person dungeon exploration game. Looking at the OP the first two times I clicked this thread, I assumed it was a city-building MMO in the style of Evony, which was a turn off. Only now that I've clicked through to the website did I realize it was more action-oriented.

The level of polish is impressive! This looks like it could be a winner.
CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 01:34:49 AM »

If I wasn't so busy, I'd be all up in this. I might jump into this with some friends who are looking for an online game, but maybe the weekend after next.

One thing that isn't obvious from this thread or the website - how do you intend to monetize the game after it releases? Flat fee, subscription, microtransaction, etc?

Also, the opening post does not convey that the game is a third person dungeon exploration game. Looking at the OP the first two times I clicked this thread, I assumed it was a city-building MMO in the style of Evony, which was a turn off. Only now that I've clicked through to the website did I realize it was more action-oriented.

The level of polish is impressive! This looks like it could be a winner.

Thanks for giving us your opinion and we really appreciate that. In terms of money stuff, what we want to say is microtransactions will typically provide only convenience features (larger stash, reduced travel time, early access to certain items, etc). We will never put character races or classes behind a pay wall. We are currently debating whether or not bosses and quests can offer our premium currency, Electrum, to be spent in-game.

Because paid features will be released in Beta, not Alpha, we have a lot of implementation left to do there, and are very open to suggestions. Electrum has some very cool fiction behind it in the game world, so it isn't just some arbitrary "other" money what happens to co-exist alongside shillings. We want it to be something people can talk about in-character.

CrazyEthan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 11:32:09 PM »

We've got some really great updates both for City of Steam website and game (check our dev journals).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:12:18 PM by CrazyEthan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic