Any chance for a video log or something any time soon? I wanna see this game in action.
Ah, sorry I didn't respond to this:
Maybe; I said I would do a video log if anyone asked, but then I started doing all the art for the game. I suppose I should show you videos of what I have already and voice some of my plans for the rest of the game. I will do that if I get around to it. If not, you can definitely expect to see some more videos and maybe hear me talk about the game a bit after I've finished this art crusade I'm on. It'll be easier for me to talk about stuff I'm currently programming and answer questions then. I have a nice crappy microphone and typically bad screencap software, so I know I can make videos of at least dubious quality
If you missed it in the first post, there is one video already of the snake boss
, though it might be a little out of date now and I'm rather unhappy with the video quality. For some reason, the video recording seems to have cut about 2 of every 3 frames or something
I like your style. It very-very unusual.
Tell me truth - are you inspired by atmosphere of Castaneda's books?
I haven't had the pleasure of reading that particular madman's writings, so nope. I'm glad you like my wonky style. I really like yours.
Actually, I'm not really sure where I get my inspiration for this stuff. It's probably an amorphous blob of influence from:
- All the art I look at on the internet (my google reader art folder always has like 5000 unread items), especially the comics like Gunshow
and Cucumber Quest
- Animation from folks and places like Ghibli, Studio 4°C, Otomo, Gobelins, Disney, and tons of other places and folks
- All the books I've read (more recently: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Asimov's I, Robot stories, and Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun, as well as hundreds of books long ago)
- Various other game devs, like lazrael, frankie, connor, basically everyone with a devlog here, and a lot of folks in the industry
- All the mad science I do (robotics is a surprisingly rich source of inspiration)
- Being otherwise crazy and enjoying life
For this particular game, a lot of inspiration comes from what I've heard about the craziness of Don Quixote (without actually having read it) and what I've watched in old western movies, mixed around with various ghost and fantasy kinds of things