I've been updating a dev log here: http://create-games.com/project.asp?view=main&id=2107
but I figured this is a good place to put it as well. For exposure and that... I'll copy the posts from there and then update this one as progress is made.Update 8th March 2011
Well the basic engine is complete. Here's what's in so far:
* Five levels for your gun - from a slow single shot, through rapid-fire bullets, up to a giant laser beam!
* Code for all the normal enemies - mostly biomechanical aliens with various different attacks. Graphics are in for most of them.
* One boss - the first, called Hand Bastard - a giant floating hand that can shoot lasers from it's central eye.
* Scrolling background graphics for the first three levels - set in the desert in and around a ruined city.
* Shiny explosion and bullet effects using alpha channels!
* Map screen for choosing from multiple routes through the game.
Yet to come:
* Actually setting up the scripted waves of enemies in each level.
* Hilarious cutscenes between each level that expand on the motivations of Gun Bastard and his nefarious enemies.
* Four more boss encounters.
* A few more miniboss enemies.
* Music and sound effects (retro-style of course!)
* Graphics for the remaining levels, including an overgrown jungle, a high-tech alien base, and even the moon!
* Ethereal powerups acquired after defeating each boss.
* Proper saving and menu system.