Update 29th May 2011
It's a busy bank holiday weekend which I've been using to work on Gun Bastard! Today I have:
* Finished the background for the ruined city streets level. I wasn't happy with the original background I made, so I did a new one based on a freeway clogged with abandoned traffic.
* Implemented the background for the subway tunnel level.
* Put the subway tunnel boss in - it's a train that's been retrofitted into a deadly weapon by the aliens.
* Did a lot of "invisible" work behind the scenes making everything neater - things like High Scores and Options now save into the main ini file for ease of access.
* Put in some new sound effects such as explosions when enemies die.
* Swapped the enemy and player laser colours to match the bullets - not sure why I did this the wrong way round anyway...
* Made the most common sounds randomise their frequency each time they're played, for more aural variety.
* Put in two volume sliders for music and sound effects on the Options screen. These work exactly like you'd expect...
* Changed the Bastard meter attack. The game no longer forces a special attack after 5 seconds of full Bastard meter, so you can save it up for when you most need it (at the expense of it taking longer to refill next time). However, it resets to 0 before each boss fight to prevent the players from defeating a boss in one hit.