Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:35:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAdventure Cat - (Zelda-Like Top Down Shooter)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Adventure Cat - (Zelda-Like Top Down Shooter)  (Read 9606 times)
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »

Hi Guys!

I'm new here and I'm starting a dev log. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, okay? So I wanted to make a diablo-like game: Action RPG. And here's what I got so far:

You can try out the actual game in your browser at: http://adventurecat.us

Tested on:

Java 1.6
2GHz Intel Core i3
2GB Ram
32 Bit Windows 7 Home Premium

Requires Roughly 100mb of space for caching music, etc (note: real usage is under 50mb).

Linux works, but must use Sun Java 1.6.
Mac is not supported (or rather Apple does not support Java 1.6).

Demo Video:

I'm still working on a website. I want to serve this game as a Java applet. Kinda like how Minecraft did it. Anyways, this has been tested in Windows and requires Java 1.6 or 1.7 to play. Preferred at least 1GB of ram.

There is also a working demo here:

http://adventurecat.us/download

For Windows, just run the .bat file. You can switch between fullscreen mode and windowed by changing the arguments (see .bat file). For Linux users, please use the java -jar command inside the. bat file. Mac users - Sorry! For some weird reason Java just crashes after a few minutes of gameplay. Not sure how Minecraft did it (assuming it works on Mac - does it?).

I'm still working on the other worlds. If you have any feedback, please let me know. I'm really worried about platform incompatibility (I though Java was supposed to be write once, run anywhere T_T).

Anyways, please try this game if you get the chance. In the meantime, I'll keep working on more maps and bosses.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:15:29 AM by helgravis » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »

Downloaded it. From looking at the screenshots, it's looking well-drawn and extremely Zelda-like. I like it.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

wow looks cool!

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »

Thanks guys! Everything was done in MS Paint, lol, so I'm very happy to hear you say it's well-drawn. The gameplay is very much like diablo, but I had difficulty drawing in 2d isometric (too many frames for each direction), so I tried doing the same way zelda did it. I also made the bosses hard. If you love hard games like Megaman 1-2, you would find it fun (I hope :D).

Here are the two bosses included in the demo:

And here is a new boss I'm working on.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:39:02 AM by helgravis » Logged
ratrogue
Level 0

Bits & Bytes ... Attack!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »

The green tentacle boss looks great, I'm envious. ;)

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »

Added some more bosses. Available in second world.

The first boss is a big spider that spawns cocoons that hatch into spiderlings. The second one is a hornet queen that has four tubes connected to her abdomen that constantly pumps out drones. Plus it shoots deadly plasma.

Also added a demo video:

. It's my first screencast so please go easy on me, lol.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:42:13 AM by helgravis » Logged
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »

Started working on World 3. This world is going to be a harbor setting, so it will include a port town, a sandy beach, a beach cave, an underground temple, and a jungle.

The beach cave shouldn't be that hard (it's just another cave, only with different monsters). So I tried making the sandy beach first. Here's what I got:

Making the sand look just right is painfully hard. First of all the bright yellow sand is hurting my eyes, so I needed to add dunes to lessen the pain. The brown dunes are very hard to tile. If I tile them neatly, they look very organized - and that doesn't look like a real beach. So I tried placing tiles on top of each other. It looks better from a distance (up close, you can see where the tiles break the pattern).

Also the part where the water meets the sand also needs more work. Would be nice if there was some tutorial on how to make beaches in a top down 2d game setting out there. I'm very happy with the palm tree though. :D
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »

Awesome sand is awesome. LOL

I only have a couple of suggestions:

1. The only place the sand tile 'breaks' is where it meets the water's edge.
2. You shouldn't be able to see the sand under the water's top level in your tile, unless the water's pulling in and out (animating).
3. Feels like there's a lot of colors in the sand, but not enough contrast. Try limiting it to 3 or 4 colors.

Other than that, it's looking great.

Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

I think the sand texture you're using (from Seiken Densetsu 3, I believe) doesn't fit stylistically with the Zelda 3 scenery tiles you're using elsewhere - it's too detailed.

(Personally, I'd rather see all original graphics, even if they're not as polished.)
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »

@SolarLune: Thanks, here's a more less-detailed sand tile. Whaddaya think? Would be awesome if I could animate the waves (<-need more art classes).

@Ichigo Jam: Yeah, the sand tiles were modeled after Seiken's. Gosh, that game's a masterpiece.

All my artwork in my game are original in the sense that I drew them all, pixel by pixel, in ms paint. And I must admit, my sprites are far lesser quality compared to theirs. But you can mostly tell where they were modeled after. As much as possible, I want people to see my sprites as original but with a strong influence of the games I very much enjoyed playing back in the day.

I think you're right that it's too detailed. Above is my second attempt to make it look more zelda-like. Better?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:15:09 PM by helgravis » Logged
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »

This game looks awesome!

Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 04:27:05 AM »

The new sand looks a lot more in-style - good job! I like the colour choice on the water, too.

But even if you've redrawn them, some of your tiles (e.g. the brown cliffs, small white flowers and bushes) look way too similar to the Zelda ones. But that's just my opinion; feel free to ignore me if you're happy with it like that.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 05:17:47 AM »

Preferred at least 1GB of ram.

Java.

Those tiles remind me of Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. Overall it looks cute.
How about multiplayer?

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 06:08:12 AM »

@Ichigo Jam:

Thanks! If I get real funding maybe I should hire a graphic artist to redo the job. To be honest, I suck at drawing.

@kamac:

How about multiplayer?

Oh man, you read my mind! I wanted to do that since day one!

I thought about it a lot, and I figured it would have been better if there with different classes if I went the multiplayer route, which would mean more sprites to make... which would mean more art to do Waaagh!. I'm a programmer first, then self-taught pixel artist second (not quite there yet). This whole game actually took me more time drawing than writing code (like 80%-20% ratio).

And then there is this thing called networking... Lol.

But hell yeah! Multiplayer is like on the top of my list (as well as rewriting it in maybe c++?). I wanted it to be like Diablo 2 where people can just come and go anytime in the story. But I'm thinking it might be best to finish this first, then add features on the next version.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:14:04 AM by helgravis » Logged
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »

Multiplayer -> Membership -> $$$

Or...

Multiplayer -> Online Store with items etc. -> $$$

helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 08:32:25 AM »

Haha! I like how you think, lol. Especially the $$$ part.

Also added new screencast on how stats and skill system work here:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:08:28 AM by helgravis » Logged
helgravis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »

Here is a screenshot of the town in world 3 that I'm working on, Rappala Town:

It's still a ghost town, since I haven't made any of the npc's yet. I wanted it to make it look like a harbor, but somehow it turned out into a beach/resort instead, which isn't exactly bad, I think.

Now I'm working on creating a giant demonic kraken that would invade town. Still trying to sketch up how it should look like.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »

KRAKEN!?!  Hand Money LeftHand Money LeftAddictedHand Money Right

CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »

Wow. This looks really cool. Those bosses are super nice.

Really love the "OH MY GOD BIG MONSTER" feel of this screenshot.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic