Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:40:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesBootleg Demakes Competition
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Author Topic: Bootleg Demakes Competition  (Read 287382 times)
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2008, 04:45:24 AM »

More coverage!

http://gamecorner.pl/gamecorner/1,86013,5721147,nowy_trend___demake_i_.html

Anyone able to read this?
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2008, 07:06:03 AM »

While we're on the subject of foreign press covering all the hard work that was done, here is a Czech site featuring reviews of a few of the entries!  Looks like they're posting about one a day, so we have just provided them with two months of content!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:10:52 AM by ChrisFranklin » Logged
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »

JohnB talks about his favorite demakes over at Jay is Games. Extra impressive when you consider the demakes aren't really that casual.

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 29, 2008, 04:16:25 AM »

Just a heads up, if there will ever be secondary awards this compo it'll have to be after the voting's done. I'm having trouble just playing all the entries before the final voting day, and I'd rather focus on that first.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 02, 2008, 07:23:17 AM »

I think this coverage hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ds/f/see-gta-iv-with-8-bit-graphics/a-2008092595922663090

(I like it because it's actually the first one to feature my entry... Wink)
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 02, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »

Just want to point out to people that I noticed the downloads of LSVS shoot up in the last week. Turns out there was 782 hits form FileRadar(GameRadar's file site). Here's the page it's on: http://www.fileradar.net/files/view/Large-Scale-Vehicular-Stealing_Large-Scale-Vehicular-Stealing---Free-Game/4765

They link directly to the file on my server, as you can see there is less than 500 downloads, but far more hits form there on my server. The problem is probably bots on operating on their site hitting the link quite a lot causing my bandwidth usage to go up. Just a warning for anyone with a harsh transfer limit. I'm also miffed that we created a nice game page and there is no link to it. I'd like people to know where the game they're playing has come from.

I'm currently trying to find a way to contact them and get on to them about this.
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: October 02, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »

But a referrer check in that directs them to the proper page if they come from that domain?
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »

The problem is that it's a direct link to the file with no indication of where to get more information on the game. I'd prefer a link to the game page so that if someone has a problem they can contact me to try and get it running.

I just hate these download sites throwing up anything they come across with no thought put into giving decent credit to the author.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2008, 11:16:17 AM »

Yeah, I see what you mean, that's definitely not a nice thing to do. They should either link to the page or at least host the files themselves. But I guess you have included some sort of readme file that at least tells people where to contact you if they have problems?
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: October 02, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »

That is why I suggested the referrer checking. I know with Apache at least (I assume with most others), you can do a .htaccess file with mod_rewrite that allows direct linking from your site, but does a 403 for everyone else to the proper contact past. That way, you kind of enforce it regardless of their attempts to direct link.

The readme suggestion doesn't hurt either, or a "About" in the game that points to your domain.
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 02, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »

Yeah, a Read Me was the last thing we were thinking of when it was so close to the deadline. I'm going to redirect them, I'll look into that later.
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: October 08, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »

FWIW i also devoted my column in November's issue of the Greek gaming magazine PCMaster in the demake competition where i explained a bit what a demake is and minireviewed the ten first games (i had only four pages). All games are added in the cover DVD though using the compilation in the torrent file found in the demakes page.

~bs~
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 08, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »

I was kinda expecting that when the results were announced we'd get the same kind of coverage that the competition got when it started, but no one has really seemed to notice...

Perhaps we are simply overshadowed by goo.
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 08, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »

I was kinda expecting that when the results were announced we'd get the same kind of coverage that the competition got when it started, but no one has really seemed to notice...

Perhaps we are simply overshadowed by goo.

I think we had a lot of coverage as the compo went on as opposed to the very beginning and very end (which is how the IGF coverage tends to be).  No one was as interested in the results themselves so much as the games.  Tuning in to see which demake got the top spot isn't as interesting to those not involved in the compo as "Hey check out this awesome re-imagining of Team Fortress/Silent Hill/Etc" which was where most of the internet's attention stemmed from.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 08, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »

Perhaps we are simply covered head to toe in goo.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
godsavant
« Reply #255 on: October 11, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »

Hey, just want to let everyone know that the Demakes Competition got coverage at the very end of a recent EGM Retronauts podcast, downloadable here  Beer!. They really got in-depth, mentioning Deity of Hostility, Gang Garrison, Fable of Griselda, Little Girl in Underland, and the Silent Hill demakes. If you can get past the commentators laughing their asses off at the names, it's worth checking out.

Strangely, though, they don't mention Fillauth, even though a bulk of the episode is devoted to retro reminiscing on Fallout.  Sad
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic