Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:24:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesBootleg Demakes Competition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Bootleg Demakes Competition  (Read 287231 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »

I was planning on demaking Limbo of the Lost in an 8-bit style, complete with ripped NES-era backgrounds, but I'm pretty sure that's not kosher in this compo even if it's a major part of the original game.  Cool

Yes, I'm serious. Already got an inventory/dialogue system setup in Multimedia Fusion and a general plot outline in a design doc. Hmm... guess I need to either draw crappy bootleg approximations of the backgrounds I want or team up with someone who actually can draw.  Tired

Suggestion: if you ask other competitors, perhaps they'll let you "rip off" artwork from their submissions?   Smiley

Awesome idea. o.o But you can't ask for the tileset files, you have to screenshot. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »

I don't think I will have time to enter the competition.
However, having built games for old hardware, I believe I offer a unique perspective. Specifically:
No-one wants to make or to play "real" demakes.

While pixel art has aged well (thanks mostly to modern colour palettes and modern resolutions), NOTHING else has.

On popular old systems (Atari VCS, Gameboy, C64, TRS-80 Model III, PET):

1. Color Palettes sucked. 256 colors maybe, all browns looked red.

2. Limited RAM meant horrible animations and awful backgrounds.

3. Sound & Music sucked. Midi music + a Midi sound effect. Ouch.

4. CPU limitations crippled gameplay possibilities
   (limited number of moving items, basic collision, no physics).

5. Parallax scrolling was not possible.

---
People that target old systems for this competition will lose,
no matter how clever the demake.
Here are what 3 demakes might look like for an old system:

World-of-Warcraft - The Text Adventure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt_the_Wumpus

Geometry Wars- Turn Based Edition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28text_game%29

Assassin's Creed - Point-And-Click Graphic Adventure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Quest

These are my best demake ideas, and I don't want to play them.
I understand what this competition is trying to do,
and I love the ideas I've seen posted,
but enforcing hardware restrictions on these ideas would make them worse.
i.e. Does anyone want "Biologic Longevity" to simulate a C64 palette,
     or see "Corner's Shiny" without parallax?

I'm recommending the hardware restriction be removed altogether - it's unnecessary. Building a game in 1 month automatically demakes whatever AAA game get touched. Think "Distill" rather than "Demake".
i.e. Can you capture the essence of GTAIV, Gran Turismo, Halo or Shadow in a month?

Looking forward to the results.

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »

I think you are mistaken, sir. I definitely want to see games with ZX80 palettes, and NSF chiptunes. The rules of these compos are hardly written in stone, and if you find them too limiting go ahead and bend them. But I think some people will find some good inspiration working within the confines of old specs.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »

I think you are mistaken retarded, sir.

Gentleman

cup full of magic charisma
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »

You actually saying that the NES didn't have any good music?

Also, in a day there are nearly two pages of threads for this thing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:40:01 PM by Melly » Logged

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »

No-one wants to make or to play "real" demakes.

While I personally agree with many of your points, I think you are underestimating this community's potential for nostalgia Wink
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2008, 06:12:48 PM »

I was planning on demaking Limbo of the Lost in an 8-bit style, complete with ripped NES-era backgrounds, but I'm pretty sure that's not kosher in this compo even if it's a major part of the original game.  Cool

Yes, I'm serious. Already got an inventory/dialogue system setup in Multimedia Fusion and a general plot outline in a design doc. Hmm... guess I need to either draw crappy bootleg approximations of the backgrounds I want or team up with someone who actually can draw.  Tired

Suggestion: if you ask other competitors, perhaps they'll let you "rip off" artwork from their submissions?   Smiley

Haha, that would be awesome! :D

Moosader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2008, 06:53:20 PM »

HEY GUYS PLAY MY OIRGIANL GAME

50% ßiologic Longevity

it has monster aand soldiers  Cool 8)and scienece  Roll Eyes ::)and guns and explisions and more superr porfesionapl voice and viedo and teh graphic  Kiss Kiss

it is on the ßeta staet so ineed sum tester lolol  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Evil Evil Tongue Tongue Lips Sealed Embarrassed Kiss

Damn.  Now I have to find another idea I guess. <_>
If I could code for internets, I'd demake Team Fortress 2.  But I can't.  I have to think of something relatively modest because I'm bound to C++ and Allegro or OpenGL/SDL.

Here are/were my ideas:
Half Life 2 (focus on physics), Okami (focus on painting), Smash Bros (focus on mascot-knock-off fighting), Doom, Shadow of the Colossus, Diablo

*edit*

Okame!

Not going to happen as it would probably be too difficult/frustrating to code drawing stuffs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:23:34 PM by Moosader » Logged

UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2008, 07:28:36 PM »

Well, I'm still fairly new to programming but I think I could pull something off and finish my first game. I already got a title screen sprite done and I'll start throwing some more together in a bit.

My idea is a No More Heroes demake, probably gonna be titled something like No More Pixels Smiley should be interesting.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2008, 07:39:38 PM »

HEY GUYS PLAY MY OIRGIANL GAME

50% ßiologic Longevity

it has monster aand soldiers  Cool 8)and scienece  Roll Eyes ::)and guns and explisions and more superr porfesionapl voice and viedo and teh graphic  Kiss Kiss

it is on the ßeta staet so ineed sum tester lolol  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Evil Evil Tongue Tongue Lips Sealed Embarrassed Kiss

Damn.  Now I have to find another idea I guess. <_>
If I could code for internets, I'd demake Team Fortress 2.  But I can't.  I have to think of something relatively modest because I'm bound to C++ and Allegro or OpenGL/SDL.

Here are/were my ideas:
Half Life 2 (focus on physics), Okami (focus on painting), Smash Bros (focus on mascot-knock-off fighting), Doom, Shadow of the Colossus, Diablo

*edit*

Okame!

Not going to happen as it would probably be too difficult/frustrating to code drawing stuffs.
Well, Petri purho made Crayon physics. That's similar. Wh not ask him for help?

The artist formally known as "Javet."
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »

Posted in the wrong topic first, let's see how it goes this time.

What if the title is pretty retro-styled to start with?

TrigWars!

Also, should this intentionally play like a real bootleg? Eg, make it all flickery and jerky? Switch the personalities of enemies and/or randomly have an "infinite death wave" bug? Maybe change the control/firing system to something completely different? The NES only has two buttons, after all.

Do I get bonus points if it randomly crashes five minutes in, or displays garbage in the high score list?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2008, 11:04:10 PM »

The bootleg part is focused on changing all recognizeable elements in order to barely not infringe copyrights. You don't have to make your game be shitty. Though a random infinite wave 'bug' could be pretty funny.

JP
Level 0

vordhosbn brezhoneg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »

Wow, demakes are plate o' shrimping me lately.  I assume you guys have seen the recent Pixelation thread on GameBoy demakes?:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5016.0

I heartily endorse anyone doing anything with this:

Suggested titles:
  • Dicey Underwater Moral Choices
  • Big Diddy: Return 2 Tha Raptcha
  • Help!  I'm Underwater!
  • Underwater Robot Wizard Time Detective

Or alternately a Roguelike with splicer ecology sim.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2008, 12:27:37 AM »

The idea of demaking Fallout 3 using FIFE and Fallout 1/2's assets makes me very happy, but I don't want to abandon the project I'm working on (progress is slow enough as it is), plus no idea how long it would take to get something up and running with FIFE. But oh the fun I would have... Lips Sealed
jonthu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2008, 02:37:56 AM »

The idea of demaking Fallout 3 using FIFE and Fallout 1/2's assets makes me very happy, but I don't want to abandon the project I'm working on (progress is slow enough as it is), plus no idea how long it would take to get something up and running with FIFE. But oh the fun I would have... :-X

I think demaking Fallout 3 is pretty hard because it's not released yet?
Well, the basic idea is known and that's probably enough for bootleg-demake.. :P

So is it possible to demake game that is not released?
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2008, 03:15:48 AM »

"Underwater Robot Wizard Time Detective"

Hell. Yes.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2008, 04:09:45 AM »

Big Stolen Car is a really good name for one, but I don't feel like making it. Tongue

Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2008, 04:20:23 AM »

1. Color Palettes sucked. 256 colors maybe, all browns looked red.

Personally I love more 'limited' palettes.  Encourages more experimentation with hue ranges and contrast.  Noticed a lot of beginner pixel artists using a PC as their first machine tend to use loads of barely different colors and dull color ranges with no hue variation making the image look quite stale.

3. Sound & Music sucked. Midi music + a Midi sound effect. Ouch.

And yet I find most old games had more tuneful soundtracks which is what I generally prefer in a game rather than movie-like scores and licensed commercial music (I think GTA being the only series I prefer actual known songs due to the whole radio thing anyways).

5. Parallax scrolling was not possible.

Actually it was in some cases.  I can't vouch for the Spectrum or C64 versions (cos I haven't looked at them lately) but I do recall at least two games I owned and enjoyed on the similarly classed 8-bit Amstrad CPC 464 having parallax scrolling. The games mentioned being Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and Astro Marine Corps.  I'm fairly sure there were more and if the CPC could do that likely the Spec and C64 versions possibly did too.    

Anyways I'm certainly looking forward to playing the entries made for this contest.  I'm more a 'retro gamer' than modern so it's possible I might enjoy some of these games more than their real modern day counterparts.

increpare
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2008, 04:46:55 AM »

Big Stolen Car is a really good name for one, but I don't feel like making it. Tongue
Like that title a lot Smiley
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2008, 05:08:14 AM »

NAMES NOT GOOD

I already expressed that in another thread, but I think the trend of "swiching names for synonyms" observed so many times in this early time of the competition gives some horrible results.
Taking examples from real life bootlegs could give some useful ideas:
Names are generally not very related to the games original name, sometimes some of the concepts used in names are totally different from what's in the game.
So pleas be more creative  Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic