Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:54:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFreedom Planet (Available Today on Steam!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Freedom Planet (Available Today on Steam!)  (Read 53364 times)
Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »

Freedom Planet is a stylish platform adventure that pits a ridiculously fast dragon girl and her friends against an alien invasion force. There's trouble around every turn, from insects to giant robots to sheer explosive destruction, but you'll have a variety of special fighting abilities to blast your way through each stage.

:: Story ::
The ruthless warlord known as Lord Brevon has crash landed on the world of Avalice. His surviving crew learns of three nearby kingdoms - the water city of Shuigang, the forest metropolis of Shang Mu, and the sky nation of Shang Tu - that are powered by an artifact known as the Kingdom Stone. Brevon sets in motion a sinister plan to manipulate the three kingdoms into attacking each other, knowing that when they are weakened, he can take the stone and use it to repair his dreadnought.

Meanwhile, two young girls, Lilac and Carol, are on their way to the annual pilgrimage to the Kingdom Stone - not to pay tribute, but to steal money from the rich so that they can continue to live by themselves in their treehouse. Along the way, they notice an airplane falling from the sky! They race across the valley to rescue the pilot, Torque the Shellduck. Little do they know that Torque is the only one who knows about Brevon's plan, and he cannot stop him alone...

:: Features ::
* An engaging Story Mode with fully voiced cutscenes
* A streamlined Classic Mode for players who just want to focus on the action
* 6 distinct stages that are rich in obstacles and secrets
* At least four boss enemies per stage: two end-of-act bosses and two sub-bosses
* Five elemental shields, each with their own benefits
* Collectable cards that unlock bonus features
* Smooth 360-degree physics with slopes, curves and loops

:: Follow Us! ::

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:16:06 PM by Strife » Logged

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »

Hey everyone! While I'm no stranger to these forums, this is my first DevLog here. My original "blog" for the game is in a thread on the Sonic Fangames HQ forums, but since the project is becoming more and more original by the day, I figured I might as well expand it outside the Sonic fangaming community. This is my most ambitious project to date, and I hope to see it through to its rightful end.

To kick things off, I've been working on replacing all of the remaining gameplay objects that are directly ripped from Sonic the Hedgehog. The game no longer has rings, but bright red flower petals that have the same effect. I've changed the HUD to reflect this:

Basically, I'm taking the same route that Epic Megagames did with Jazz Jackrabbit - Paying homage to Sonic while still offering a different style of gameplay.

On an unrelated note, I hope to get a web page up in the near future. I just gotta motivate myself to draw the graphic layout.

Conker534
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:25:19 PM »

The characters  Kiss

hehe will be watching for more.
Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:37:16 AM »

Thanks! ^_^

Seeing how I live in the Nordic region, I may just submit Freedom Planet for the 2012 Nordic Game Indie Night. The deadline is March 12, and I'll need to figure out if I have enough free time to get ready for it. I'd have to make some additional content and get everything in show condition, which means I would need a few bug testers to ensure that nothing goes wrong during the event (as people will be able to play each of the entries).

I'll post another update when I've made a decision.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:31:59 AM »

This looks awesome, I love the graphics and those characters are incredible. From the screen shots im sure this is going to be a great game.

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:43:00 AM »

Thanks!

I've got the title page and Game Over screens finished now. ^_^

I'm currently working on adding joypad compatibility, since only the keyboard can be used at the moment. Since this is MMF2 I'm working with, I'll need third-party extensions to make this possible, which would kill the game's compatibility with flash/iOS/etc. I could, however, make another copy of the runtime with the extensions removed if I ever plan to port the game to those other systems.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 03:15:34 AM »

I use MMF2 aswell and have to say that its only real draw back is its lack of proper joypad support, Ive done it in the past but find its alot of work for something that shouldnt be.

good luck with it. I was going to do the same for my game but it would change the entire game mechnics just for joy pad so im not sure if im going to bother with it.

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:42:42 AM »

Good news folks! I got permission to use an input mapping engine for MMF2 that was crafted by someone else. It includes support for keyboards, joypads, and mouse buttons and even allows you to save your control schemes into separate profiles.

I've been working on one of the hub areas as well: Lilac's Treehouse.

Inside the treehouse, players will be able to, among other things, save their game and look through all of the special items they've collected. Several of the game's cutscenes will also take place here, of course.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:01:14 AM by Strife » Logged

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:33:30 AM »

And all of the sudden, these screenshots make me think, "Did I accidentally stumble into DeviantArt?"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:23:17 AM by Player 3 » Logged
Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »

Hey, it could be worse. xD At least the sound effects are the only blatantly Sonic thing left in the game. Otherwise it's pretty much on par with Jazz Jackrabbit.

Woofle and I have been making excellent progress with the soundtrack. I've been composing the base songs while she does tweaking and remastering. She should have some demo clips uploaded once we've finished a few more tracks. :D

Anyway, screenshots ahoy:

Stage select screen for Time Attack mode. I'll probably use a different method of selection for Adventure mode.

I don't think this miniboss's weakness is intuitive enough... I'll probably make it vulnerable to normal attacks as well, with the weakness being more a of a time-saver.

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »

New video up!

This shows about half of Relic Maze Act 1, along with some of the changes that have taken place since the last video. Shields have also been implemented; Collecting 5 of the keystones that robots drop will reward you with a specific type of shield, depending on the color keystone you have the most of.

Also, today I was contacted by one of the guys who's running this year's NGIN, and they're interested in trying out the game for themselves. This means that there's a remote possibility that it could make it to NGIN! Until I'm absolutely sure, though, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Conker534
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »

Very cool. :D
spolvid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »

Looking good, but I think it needs more blast processing.
Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »

Blast processing for MMF2 games would be the best thing ever. :D

This is what I've drawn so far for Relic Maze Act 2's background. It's going to feel almost like a completely different stage, but it has just enough in common with Act 1 to tie them together.

Uykered
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »

Game looks great!

I got permission to use an input mapping engine for MMF2 that was crafted by someone else. It includes support for keyboards, joypads, and mouse buttons and even allows you to save your control schemes into separate profiles.

Which engine is that? I read that initially as a new input extension Sad
Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »

Game looks great!

I got permission to use an input mapping engine for MMF2 that was crafted by someone else. It includes support for keyboards, joypads, and mouse buttons and even allows you to save your control schemes into separate profiles.

Which engine is that? I read that initially as a new input extension Sad

Thanks!

It's an engine that's only being used for Sonic Zero. The author doesn't want to release the current version publicly, but I really hope he does make it available in the future, because it'd be really useful for people who need force feedback in their game (i.e. detecting how hard the player is pushing a button or how slightly they're tilting the control stick). I removed FF from my version to make things simple.

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 02:06:27 AM »

I've decided to open up auditions for anyone who might be interested in voicing one of the characters in Story Mode. You can find out more here:

http://voiceacting.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=22873

I'll accept auditions until June 1st May 20th for the six characters listed, and I'll likely add the rest later on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:14:22 AM by Strife » Logged

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 02:17:01 AM »

Wow, I'm quite surprised at the number of auditions I've received! 62 and counting (which includes multiple auditions by the same person). Suffice to say, I should be in no shortage of voice acting talent.

Things are coming along well in the music department as well. My lead composer uploaded a sample of the game's soundtrack yesterday:

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7933872/

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:08:40 AM »

Character dump. Some of them are important; Others are just practice.

Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »

So, it wasn't easy, but I managed to pick my voice actors for the main characters out of 57 people who auditioned. And I'm still not sure who to pick for Dr. Brevon, so I just picked 4 of the best ones to do some extra audition lines. So, with that said, I should be all set for voiceclips for now. ^_^

If anyone is still interested in trying out auditions, I've added 3 new characters to the casting list. The deadline for this batch is June 3rd.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic