Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:10:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRamBros [All American Co-Op Shooter] - Demo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: RamBros [All American Co-Op Shooter] - Demo  (Read 74759 times)
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »

Looks real fast.

It's all good.
Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »

Shocked Impressed! 

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
Theophilus
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »

This is nice. I like it.

COMMANDO BROS
ignaciobalbuena
Level 0

Score!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »

I Just found this in the music forum and came back to this thread. looks freaking Amazing!  Hand Any Key

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »

Sorry you wasted your time yesterday but it was defietely worth it, looks great! Grin

Cheers guys, maybe im getting to tied down in the details, I think i figured out what I dont like, theres not enough movement in the posing thing at the start where the bullets are scattering around them, im going to try putting a extra frame with there heads down and then all cheesy like looking up.  Apart from that today is finalizing town scenes, onward!

This is nice. I like it.

COMMANDO BROS

Haha the voice over is temp, if anyone wants to do a better voice over for the title that would be awesome  Grin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:34:52 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Theophilus
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »

This is nice. I like it.

COMMANDO BROS

Haha the voice over is temp, if anyone wants to do a better voice over for the title that would be awesome  Grin

I might actually give this a try... I've never tried voice acting, but many people tell me i have a deep throaty voice. I'm not sure if my microphone can handle it, but i might be able to cut out some of the noise post-processing.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »

This is nice. I like it.

COMMANDO BROS

I might actually give this a try... I've never tried voice acting, but many people tell me i have a deep throaty voice. I'm not sure if my microphone can handle it, but i might be able to cut out some of the noise post-processing.

Awesome man I hope you do, look forward to hearing it if you can get a good recording.  News today is I spent a lot of it fucking around building a game cabinet for another project, tidied up a bit of the project code, and overhauled some of the button input and ingame menu stuff, nothing really show worthy but since its the last day before I disappear for a week ill put a youtube video up tonight with any luck.  Lets do this.

Oh and I finally got the intro good... Atleast to a level where I don't want to change it too much anymore.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »

So back from the break/holiday, tonight im going to be adding new enemy types to the mix, over the next few days expect the following to appear:

-Dog enemies, mostly for gameplay reasons to create some charging type enemies that can take a few hits.

-Flying enemies/bombers/etc, something that has some sort of erratic movement that either slows or stops the players progress for short periods.

-Prisoners of war, they will be scattered in mobs of enemies to ensure the players use a little more tactics than sweeping the enemies up with bullets, shooting them will major kill the players score.

All of these will hopefully create a bit more challenge as the gameplay is quite short/easy currently, video to follow!

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »

Lots of changes tonight, new 2 player UI, new time frame, added lives ingame to see how it plays, added Prisoners of War, dogs and flying enemies also, and the stock enemy's also now throw grenades which should be somewhere in the video also.  I think I want to add a barrel throwing type enemy straight from bionic commando and that should be enough enemies for 20 or so levels roughly.  tomorrow ill probably add some sort of destroyable wall type enemy that has bits that can/cant shoot, see how it plays I guess.

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 08:37:07 PM »

This sadly got buried before I got on... luckily I went to some older posts. Awesome stuff!

The new details are great and the presence of challenge which previously lacked in some of the older videos is good to see.

- Laxwolf

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 10:37:24 PM »

Finding it amazing how quickly you seem to add features for this game and how fast it's coming along. Really inspirational  Gentleman

Liking the look of the new cute dogs. Like there jumping around. Also the prisoners are a great addition but feel like the NO when they die could be worked on a bit...

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »

Cheers bro, its not all quick though, just to break the speed I think ill spend today toying with adding some more complexity to the gameplay, considering mixing in some elements of a metroidvania to see how it plays, I think it will add a lot of time to the development but I have a perfectly good code from another half finished project which has a editor and Lua scripting and such which could work pretty good, though it totally rules out porting it to flash quickly.... I guess its better to have a good game on pc, than a half good game on flash and pc... more to come.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »

It is indeed looking sick. I like the style and everything - I could only suggest that the character slows down a bit while walking. Maybe his current speed could be a dash, but it feels almost too fast to me.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »

It is indeed looking sick. I like the style and everything - I could only suggest that the character slows down a bit while walking. Maybe his current speed could be a dash, but it feels almost too fast to me.

Good idea, I think ill slow it down a bit, I think ive been playing it a bit too long that Ive kinda lost focus on the stuff like that.  Just tinkering with gearing the gameplay toward a more metroidvania type deal, I think the best way to decide the path to progress ahead with is to just throw it down to what everyone thinks, so ill post some side by side videos/and or demos pretty soon (ideally within a week) and anyone who cares can help me pick a direction for the game.  If it does lean towards a more story heavy exploration shooter, I may have to make it a little more serious, time will tell.

sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »

In complete agreement with most people here about the style and look. Love the dogfighting too, seems like a nice change of pace from the standard levels. I love that a lot of the inspiration is from Bionic Commando.

The empty shells being ejected from the guns is a great choice and a nice touch. Adds to the chaotic feel of the combat. As for player speed, I think its a matter of taste...but having the choice to walk or dash would be nice. It's like what happens after playing mega man X after a while: when you're learning you walk through most levels, but after awhile you just memorize all of them and dash through the entire thing because you know enemy and item placement, etc.

As for level design, I say go with the bionic commando style setup. Metroidvanias are cool and all, but you could definitely encapsulate that experience into the level-by-level design of bionic commando (like it did in the original anyway), making backtracking both possible and less cumbersome, depending on how big you intend the game to be (judging from screens, decently big!)

Anyway, great style, looks fun, and hope to get to play it soon!
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »

In complete agreement with most people here about the style and look. Love the dogfighting too, seems like a nice change of pace from the standard levels. I love that a lot of the inspiration is from Bionic Commando.

The empty shells being ejected from the guns is a great choice and a nice touch. Adds to the chaotic feel of the combat. As for player speed, I think its a matter of taste...but having the choice to walk or dash would be nice. It's like what happens after playing mega man X after a while: when you're learning you walk through most levels, but after awhile you just memorize all of them and dash through the entire thing because you know enemy and item placement, etc.

As for level design, I say go with the bionic commando style setup. Metroidvanias are cool and all, but you could definitely encapsulate that experience into the level-by-level design of bionic commando (like it did in the original anyway), making backtracking both possible and less cumbersome, depending on how big you intend the game to be (judging from screens, decently big!)

Anyway, great style, looks fun, and hope to get to play it soon!

I think ill definitely add a dash at some point, but for now just stock running should be fine.  Hmmmm I guess the initial thing is I started this and thought, I might just knock out a small little freeware game, but ambitions a bitch, and complexity is kind of getting thrown in the mix.  I think ill just try it all the different ways, metroidvania/level to level/mini-levels, and toss up if I want to sink a few months into a more complex game, I think the core run n gun mechanics are at the point where they are solid now, pretty decent fun, but the thing the game lacks is kind of depth and a bit of character, and id rather not release anything than put out another crappy game...

As for making it more serious ive been putting notes down all arvo about a alternate reality Vietnam era war, kind of riffing of what bionic commando laid down but a little more light hearted, we shall see how it turns out.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »

Another update, working on adding level progression, saving, and putting a lua scripting layer in the game, thanks to Zephni from the MMF forums.  So another thing thats slightly changed is the resolution, long story short I had to change the game resolution due to the way the backdrop objects are pasted in mmf2, its probably minor to people who haven't been looking at it on repeat.  Ive also added (as you can see) shit loads of particle effects, there is no way this is going to be running in flash anymore though. Up next is all things Lua, getting NPCS talking from scripts and other assorted things that I will need to script, I will probably ship this with a editor of some sort with some basic modability, more to come.

Oh also im working on adding cash into the game (the light green paper things that fall from enemies, its very wip atm)

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 05:52:18 AM »

Tonights progress has been a massive sidetrack, added lots of grass, dripping water, god rays, glows and all that, the first of many graphical passes, it now runs 20 percent slower, woot. (grass is temp)

sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »

god rays are cool, but seem oddly hyperrealistic. Clashes a bit with the style. Maybe roughen them up a bit/flatten them out? Maybe that would help with the cpu load too. I was hoping for a video!

Haha jk
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »

I like them - I think they add some cool color to the scene. Maybe sonic's right about flattening them out - I think that might help make it a bit more interesting.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic