Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:24:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessThe Humble Store
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Humble Store  (Read 15325 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:56:40 AM »

http://www.indiegamemag.com/jeff-rosen-the-humble-store-is-something-we-are-working-on/

A widget that provides an easy way for developers to sell their game -- and a full-fledged store coming? Sounds interesting.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »

I've been using it. The widget is a massive improvement over Fastspring, which I was using before - no expiring links, no asking for useless details like address or phone number (which they don't need if you're paying by paypal), just a hell of a lot less hassle all around. I hope they roll it out more publically soon!

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:53:24 AM »

Can you tell what the fees are? Or at least is it comparable to BMT or FastSpring?

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »

Can you tell what the fees are?

I'm probably not supposed to say Sad. I'm sure they'll announce it before too long anyway. It's still very much in beta.

Uykered
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:37:48 PM »

Sounds good Terry.
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »

Wow, sounds amazing! I was annoyed by Fastspring's insistence on address/phone number. I imagine that submissions to get into the system are clogged by hundreds of desperate indies like myself, as usual? Smiley

Sounds cool at any rate. I'll knock on their door once I release my upcoming mac/win/linux game, maybe I'll get lucky...

Nostrils!
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 03:45:39 AM »

It's worth noting that BMT Micro is okay with removing all the unnecessary data boxes when the customer opts to use PayPal. I also asked them to set PayPal as the default payment method, so that the store page looks as clear as possible when the customer clicks "Buy it". Entering additional data is only necessary if you want to use your credit card.

They also integrate the store too look like a part of your website, free of charge. This is how they did it for us.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:13:59 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 04:04:06 AM »

Looks great! Smiley

FastSpring
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »

FastSpring currently requires customers to enter their full address information for PayPal orders, however, we will be rolling a out new order flow (currently in beta, expected to be launched in the next 1-2 months for everyone) that will only require a PayPal username and password to complete the order.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »

good to hear, thanks. i use fastspring, and occasionally i get people emailing me wondering why they are forced to enter their phone number and address if they're just buying a $2 game online and paying by paypal, so this would alleviate their worries a little. it's only a minority of customers who even care, but that minority does sort of have a point and perhaps it prevents some people from buying games (since they fear their personal info is being harvested or something)

larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »

FastSpring already will remove the phone number field if you ask them and you have some orders under your belt, but I'm glad to hear they're streamlining the entire purchase process, I've been getting messages from customers asking about this, too.

Nostrils!
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 06:57:49 AM »

I WANT TO KNOW MOOAAARRR  Crazy

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »

I wonder what fees they have.

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »

I'll start to use fastspring very soon, I hope it turns out fine. But this humble store seems very promissing!

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »

I'm wondering why so many new indies seem to pick FastSpring these days. It seems like a weaker BMT with no affiliates to me. Does it have some hidden advantages (like the already mentioned ability to do pay-what-you-want) or is it just the effect of their good marketing on indie forums?

Tom Grochowiak
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »

I confess that I'm into it because I don't know any other payment processor so easy/cheap. I discovered it in the Pixel Prospector lists.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »

Prices are almost the same across all these e-commerce providers -- BMT, FastSpring, Plimus, eSellerate etc. Simplicity is similar between BMT and FastSpring (BMT even makes your store fit the rest of your website, dunno about FastSpring). So it really comes down to support and affiliate networks, and FastSprings sucks majorly in the later. I really advise anyone who picks their processor to consider if they are going to need affiliates in the future. I've made that mistake before, picking eSellerate, and it costed me a few nice opportunities.

Tom Grochowiak
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »

This is te first time I try to sell a game, so, I'm kinda testing it, but it's good to know about this BMT, I might give it a try if Fastspring disapoint me!

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »

Some indie veterans around here have recommanded FastSpring & BMT mostly, plus some other selling systems that they say are far better than having to deal with Plimus & Paypal to cite the most frustrating and bad service.

One of those veterans was cliffski, you can still find his recommandations on his blog and in a thread around here. Some other veterans did confirm this.

Maybe the quality of FastSpring have change since then (middle of last year I think), but I'm not qualified to know about it.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »

What about hosting your own store? You know, dealing with transactions? I guess it only worth the hassle(and risk, security is an issue) if you have like a huge amount of sales where any penny counts.

Master of all trades.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic