Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:59:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesCorner's Shiny [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Corner's Shiny [FINISHED]  (Read 69435 times)
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 09:42:04 AM »

Sorry but the NES can only have sprites of 3 colors. The 4th color is the transparent pixels.
Megaman somehow cheated this.

Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »

Sorry but the NES can only have sprites of 3 colors. The 4th color is the transparent pixels.
Megaman somehow got away with 4 colours and transparency.

Yeah a lot of games appeared to use two sprites for characters, perhaps top and bottom half to get more colors.

I think, but my memory is a bit fuzzy, that I saw Mega Man's face as an overlay to his body sprite someplace.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 09:46:32 AM »

Well, there is that, yes, but I bet that limited the number of sprites they could use for anything else.

But since Mirror's Edge seems to usually have very few characters on screen at any one time (deducing from the footage of it seen so far) that might not be an issue.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 09:49:38 AM »

Well, there is that, yes, but I bet that limited the number of sprites they could use for anything else.

Could be a reason why Mega Man games were often more flickery than a lot of others.  If the face and body were seperate that was already two sprites on the same horizontal plane before including enemies and objects.

But anyways yeah shouldn't be a problem here.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »

Yeah but there's also the limitation in pixel size if you want to go that way  Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 01:19:15 PM »

Yeah but there's also the limitation in pixel size if you want to go that way

Please explain. Smiley

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »

well sprites have to be 8x16 pixels maximum. You can stack several sprites (thus increasing pixel and color limitations) but you generally have only 64 sprites to work with for the whole screen.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

I don't know if you have to be so legalistic about the color rules.  I think you should try to follow them as closely as possible but if you have to bend some of the rules a bit to make it look better I say go for it..but thats just me.  I think its looking great so far, can't wait to see an update.

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 06:29:46 AM »

We decided to make the game more NESy.
And I wanted to make the sprite look more NESy too. Aswell as the animation.
(Of course she has too many colours in the sprite but I don't think that's a reason not to do it. I think it still looks retro this way...)

We decided to let Ninja Gaiden (NES) guide us to build up basic game mechanisms and how they work (like running and jumping). The game really felt good and since the FF7-bootleg used many ripped-off aspects from FF1/2/3 I think it's a good idea to add a bit of Ninja-Gaiden-flair here. Not too much, though.
We are definately including changes: The graphics will always be pretty original so we don't use any direct ripoffs, the momentum-based-gameplay I promised will also find into the game.
The actual running speed of the character doesn't change as he picks up momentum, but there is a "momentum-gauge" which fills up whenever the character runs or grinds down a wire. When this gauge reaches certain points it adds a stronger jump or special abilities like sliding or walljumps. As the character stops running (or jumps/grabs/climbs) his gauge falls again.
So a constant pace has to be there if the player wants to make the harder levels in time.

hope we can pull this off...
BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 08:02:45 AM »

looks nice Beer!

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 05:51:22 AM »

Mockup of our interface.

Background of the first stage. No (level) foreground yet. :/

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »

Hope this is still being made. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »

This looks really good! Seems you have thought it through (with the momentum gauge) and everything. And the sprites do look NESy, reminds me of the soldiers in Rush 'n' Attack Smiley

Good luck with this
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 01:11:18 PM »

We decided to make the game more NESy.
And I wanted to make the sprite look more NESy too. Aswell as the animation.
(Of course she has too many colours in the sprite but I don't think that's a reason not to do it. I think it still looks retro this way...)

she has not too much colors at all, just check the Contra soldier sprite and you will see, it's really good!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 06:10:18 AM »

Hope this is still being made. Grin

Yeah, it is. A coding-per-time graph would probably resemble a sinus curve, but in the end, there's still work happening, so don't worry.  Wink
Bojangles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 06:23:57 AM »

One quick note on the sprites I've seen so far. They will not look like they are running once you animate them. They look like they're putting one foot forward infinitely. Both legs have to move to the front (Unless the legs are one pixel wide, then you can cheat and make it look like the character is running). Just some advice.
Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 01:53:23 AM »

Just a heads up: I was struck by disease (well... the common cold, but still), but nevertheless, the game engine is nearing completion and levels are being created as we speak. Expect the release soon(ish).
Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 07:00:32 AM »

Alright, we're drawing closer and closer, so maybe it's time to finally give a short summary of what the game will exactly be like. You'll probably know some of it already, but still. It also has actual ingame screenshots Gentleman!

(The green stuff is our version of Runner's Vision, in case you were confused  Wink)

An entry for TIGSource's bootleg demake competition, this game is a 2D-platformer-adaption of Mirror's Edge. It's rather straightforward: Using a wide array of moves, including running, sliding, (wall-)jumping, climbing and more, you have to travel through the levels as fast as possible in your unrelenting quest to deliver some mail and, much more important, gather a high score. Controls and gameplay are semi-realistic: You have to run a little to get to maximum speed and you can't stop dead in your tracks, but controls still are a lot more precise than in, say, the original Prince of Persia. Another unique feature is the "momentum gauge" at the top of the screen. While you're running, it starts to fill up. The further it gets to the right end, the more moves you'll be able to execute - for example, you can't slide while in the blue region of the gauge.

That's pretty much all there is to it. It's a small, non-pretentious, but hopefully fun game. If you care, please also visit the thread over in the AGS forums (which also has a post like this).

Expected date of release is September 7th, because that's when the competition ends, and I guess we'll need the time. The game is in a playable state right now, but... it's a total glitchfest.
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 07:08:47 PM »

Hopefully this will play like a faster Ninja Gaiden from the NES.
PjongJang
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 04:00:37 AM »

Hello.

My name PjongJang I from great China and like to present game Mr BaronCid and Mr. Akatosh made me make.

It became good game. I think there are sometimes little insects and glitches in it but Mr BaronCid said to me: "DUUUUUUUDE AWESOME DUUUUUUUUUDE Glitches and shit totally tighten up the experience. Players gotta USE the glitches to get even better times. It's like life you know, like... A HIGHER LEVEL OF CONSCIOUSNESS DUDE. Dude."
That what mister said. He pay me 8$ then. Mr BaronCid very generous and kind person because he promised 5$ but gave 8$. Thank you! I happy.

You can download game here:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/f8745efc-aa22-49b8-8ffd-8872778bec7a/CornersShiny

Please be a sure person to open "winsetup.exe" before open game to change size of window (or play fullsize screen).
I also recommend to enter "Help" in the game first, read, then play game in "start".
I also recommend to you: use good gamepad to play. It makes game lot enjoyable and convenience! Mr BaronCid said "Tell them to use the Xbox360-pad, man. I like use the left stick as arrow-keys, A for jumping, and X for climbing and grabbing. Works perfectly. You just have to be careful when jumping off ladders, if you don't concentrate on really pushing the the stick to the upper-left or upper-right diagonal directions, the jumping off ledges won't work that well. Watch it, dude!"
That what Mr. BaronCid said.

Thank you.

Have Fun with game.

Bye bye!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic