Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:04:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesCorner's Shiny [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Corner's Shiny [FINISHED]  (Read 69418 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:05 AM »

WTF

It's amusing how broken this game is.  I can't get past the first wall jump.

I especially enjoy that the game simply exits on it's own when I run out of time, requiring that I restart the application.  It's as though it's trying to tell me something.

tweet tweet @j_younger
TheMeatyBall
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2008, 04:42:59 AM »

I don't want to be an asshole, but the controls suck.
But I guess it's intentional right?  Wink It's a demake after all.  Smiley
Anyways, I think the graphics are pretty stylish.
increpare
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2008, 04:48:57 AM »

Exteremely authentic bootleg feel: good work!

(couldn't get past first tall ledge where I had to jump twice)
Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2008, 09:03:47 AM »

Allllright, I know, the game is a metaphorical house build out of twigs and spit... but I insist on it being playable, and quite fun if you know what you're doing. Would it be against the compo's rules if I fixed some of the more annoying issues, such as the lack of checkpoints, the "persistent" velocity and the flimsy concrete?

Who knows, after this competition ends, maybe I'll spend a few weeks with de-glitchifying it (to a reasonable extend) and bothering BaronCid to draw more levels and do whatever he did to get these cutscene pictures.

For now, you're stuck with the glitchy semi-broken heap of code ruins, though.  Wink
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »

Everyone who makes a game "superior" to ours does not DESERVE to win.  Gentleman

We'd have made an easy, well balanced, fair and good game... but that's too easy and not part of the compo. There you go.  Undecided

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention but a friend of mine is working at DICE and is on the Mirror's Edge team, I sent him a link to this thread. A couple of times. Hope you don't mind =)
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

Haha, the bugs are great. Only problem with this game is it is too unforgiving or maybe i'm just impatient.

This is pretty cool. I can see the potential in the mechanics. If this were more polished, i'd probably like it better than a certain other game.
Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2008, 03:22:37 AM »

Soooo...

Following some advice from the AGS forums and a quick talk, Corner's Shiny is now officially back in production for (some) bug-smiting, (a bit of) rebalancing, (some) refining and (quite a deal of) polishing.

Saint: As long as you didn't send him E-Mail along the lines of "sue their sorry asses into oblivion", I don't mind for sure.  Smiley

In different (but still awesome news), Ben304, another dude from the AGS forums, has tried some pixel artistry and came up with this:

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »

Okay right now game has a good amount of flaws, but if all the bugs get fixed and keep up with what your doing, I could really start diggin' this game.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »

Okay right now game has a good amount of flaws, but if all the bugs get fixed and keep up with what your doing, I could really start diggin' this game.

Yeah, and then we'll add modern 3D graphics, Stereo, HiFi-Sound and realistic sound-effects. We'll remove all the flaws concerning the grammar and spelling. We'll give the game a new, more compelling story and also port it to the Xbox360 via XNA. We'll also remove all the glitches etc. and tidy up the code to improve the performance.

We didn't actually plan to make the game like that.
I mean, it was a rule of the compo to make the game kinda like that but hey... in the end it's still about how much the people can enjoy the game and how popular it can get. [/cynic]

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »

I google'd corner's shiny (which got some coverage. :D )

But the most amusing result was a russian indie gaming site writing about it (amongst other demake-titles):
http://igb.kirovnet.ru/rimeyki-demeyki/

I ran their description through babel-fish:

Corner's Of shiny - [demeyk] of that not still left Of mirrors Of edge. If we believe so that it wrote [Igromaniya] and other periodicals, then Corner's Of shiny has all properties of the original Of mirrors Of edge. It is possible to run, to jump, to make rough stocks. To the passage, is more precise, the running through of one level of [daetsya] the [opredelennoe] quantity of time, it had time - fine person, no - game it departs. On the level it is necessary not only to run, but also to gather the envelopes (we do not forget, that Shiny - messenger). To pass game is complicated - [glyukanutost] of program, complex control they can [podportit] impression. But, as the [fan]- beta version Of mirrors Of edge, game very, greatly impresses. To [parkurshchikam] it is worth trying. Like by all rest.

This totally made my day.

When russians finally come to fuck the western world up I'll say "I develop corner's shiny" and they will be like "you greatly!" and let me live.

They didn't mention "Little Girl in Underland" at all. Did they have a reason? Wink
Nyet.

VladErmakov
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2008, 09:44:41 AM »

Ahaha, i was look Google Analytics, and saw link on my blog from this forum Smiley Its really good - about my blog know peoples out-Russia. This totally made my day. :D
I was write this description about your game on my blog, if i offended you - sorry. If you have got some claim, i will correct this description.

When russians finally come to fuck the western world up I'll say "I develop corner's shiny" and they will be like "you greatly!" and let me live.
I do not understand your, sorry Sad Can you write this on "simple-english"? Google translate and babel-fish are evil (for me)

They didn't mention "Little Girl in Underland" at all. Did they have a reason? Wink
Nyet.
Mmm... I don`t know about "Little Girl In Underland"

Sorry for my English.. I`m study
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »

Donger

Wow, sounds like I should be careful!  Shocked
The Ivy
Level 1

Offices in Miragia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »

Nyet.

I've actually found two Russian reviews of my game. After I finished having a heart attack, I used Babelfish and realized both were reasonably positive.

In fact, this one mentioned "Flat black humor in of soviet of english," and this one called it an "Outstanding two-dimensional comedy." That's actually a bit kinder than some of the things I've read in English. Wink
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2008, 01:40:10 AM »

I made it past the wall-jump! The game is glitchy, but it has a certain something. Building up momentum for the first slide felt really good.

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2008, 06:35:06 AM »

Ahaha, i was look Google Analytics, and saw link on my blog from this forum Smiley Its really good - about my blog know peoples out-Russia. This totally made my day. :D
I was write this description about your game on my blog, if i offended you - sorry. If you have got some claim, i will correct this description.

I do not understand your, sorry Sad Can you write this on "simple-english"? Google translate and babel-fish are evil (for me)

Nyet.
Mmm... I don`t know about "Little Girl In Underland"

No, I found it really great that "Corners Shiny" got attention even in Russia.

Thanks a lot for having me on your blog! Smiley

BaronCid

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2008, 07:21:41 AM »

I keep getting stuck in walls, and lots of other glitches. But, the spriting is great and is a really good idea, I think you should try to implement the momentum system with a game that isn't a demake! I'd really be willing to play that for sure!
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »

Finally tried this out, and now I have sore fingers.  Smiley  I tried every mash of buttons I could think of to get by the wall jumps, but any success seemed to be pure luck.  Most of the time, the character would just stand next to the red mark on the wall and repeatedly double-jump straight up (but not high enough to reach the ledge).  I never figured out how to make him wall-jump left, but it wasn't by holding the left arrow and pressing the jump key.

The one time I made it to the double wall jump, it seemed way easier, like I could just hold the up arrow and jump and the character would figure out what to do.  Of course, that could've been luck, too.

Double jumping at full momentum after the first slide seemed to erase my forward speed, almost stopping me completely.  Not sure if that was intentional, since double-jumping at the end of the first level didn't seem to do that.

How many levels are there?  I didn't make it past the first.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2008, 06:34:56 AM »

Ok, PSU has been replaced and I've installed an additional fan to delay the next meltdown. I've finally, finally fixed the walljumps and collision detection. Next up are some bugs with the climbing and the addition of additional levels and cutscenes.

Also, hooray for being 22nd out of 68 (place 16) or something.
cosmic_cumshot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »

i was thinkin'....maybe a good way to do somethin' like this would be to have canabalt with a faith sprite edit to make white buildings and bright blue sky and some red railing on some things ou run on Shocked its got most of the things like jumping from roof to roof, running along crains, the only things that'd need to be done are sliding/climbing parts and maybe some enemies
does anyone else think that would be a good idea? Gentleman

take the universe when it hits you in the face and runs down your chin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic