Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

997945 Posts in 39129 Topics- by 30533 Members - Latest Member: KellyStark

April 16, 2014, 11:21:02 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtMyPaint [tool]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MyPaint [tool]  (Read 1400 times)
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:44:16 PM »

Awsome drawing tool discovered! (open source and cross-platform)

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

Great brushes, simple interface, unlimited canvas (Oo) etc.. Trying it out at the moment. Looks very useful...
namragog
Level 10

Humans are La La La~♪

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

Following. I'ma download tomorrow.  Who, Me?

Scut Fabulous
Level 3

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »

This looks like an ideal tool for a mobile setup.  Makes me want to convert my laptop to Ubuntu, seeing as I can do just about every art task under Linux now (Ink Scape, Gimp, and now MyPaint).

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »

Wanted to post about it myself, but did search first.
It's amazing. I started to learn digital painting recently, and tried all software I could find - Painter, Art Rage, Artweawer, Deep Paint, Photoshop, and this one looks rather good. Great UI. Some unique features - it can pick brushes! Not just color, but brushes! Like, you hover over your picture, press W, and it changes brush to one that you used on a piece you are hovering over. And when you edit brush settings you can update last stroke, to see preview.
Canvas rotation a la Painter. And cool brushes too.

OH AND YOU CAN CREATE SHORTCUTS BY HOVERING OVER ITEM IN MENU AND PRESSING KEYS!!!!!
I'm sorry for caps but I'm astonished by this feature.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:11:27 PM by tequibo » Logged

wccrawford
Level 2

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:43:16 AM »

OH AND YOU CAN CREATE SHORTCUTS BY HOVERING OVER ITEM IN MENU AND PRESSING KEYS!!!!!
I'm sorry for caps but I'm astonished by this feature.

No, you're right.  That's an amazing feature.  Once that makes you say, "Why didn't someone think of that before?"  Going into a special config dialog to set up keys is crazy.  It's *so* much better to do it right there, in the main interface, where you can think about everything else that's going on at the same time.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

xionight@live.com Chimera+Gryphon
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »

I like this a lot. I'm only missing selection and transform tools. Unless I overlooked them?

surt
Level 4

Meat by-product.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:06:24 PM »

I like this a lot. I'm only missing selection and transform tools. Unless I overlooked them?
That's a core principal of MyPaint. The developers are focused on pure painting.

Personally I'd like to see some painterly selection introduced, such as mask painting promoting to a new layer and independent transform of layers as with the canvas as a whole.

You can do some simple stuff such as duplicating a layer, erasing all the unwanted parts and panning the layer.

Krita uses the same brush engine as MyPaint but also has all the standard selection tools. Video of sweet new transform work here.

Cheap second-hand tablet PC + linux + MyPaint = sweet portable sketching.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:36:28 AM by surt » Logged

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
alastair
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:49:44 PM »

This sounds fantastic, however not being able to select and move things is silly.
Manuel Magalh„es
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »

I also like MyPaint, the work environment is super pleasing.

(Also, for OSX users that want MyPaint with pressure support: http://blender3dartist.netii.net/?p=80 (see the comment section). I tried it and it works well, even if the interface lacks the trademark OSX interface eyecandy.)

---
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »

i've been using this for quite a while and it's great. don't use it much, however.

one thing i really like is the scratchpad. really handy to make your own little palette there.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

xionight@live.com Chimera+Gryphon
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »

my tablet pen suddenly stopped working with this :\ I can still navigate the menus and stuff with the pen, and drawing works with my mouse, but drawing with the pen makes nothing happen. Anyone have any idea what's up? I think I may have accidentally a setting or something but I dunno which, and I tried reinstalling it to no avail. Sucks cuz I really like this program.

Player Ʒ
Level 10

...hasn't made a game.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »

Some form of scissors would be nice to cut and paste if this is supposed to emulate traditional methods.
suggo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 01:19:27 AM »

Started using this a while ago too, all my art starts in MyPaint, it's great for sketching. first saw it being used by David Revoy for the Sintel blender concept art. Been hooked ever since.

I had no idea about the shortcut hover thing!! Shocked
Thanks for pointing it out!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic