Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:15:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesthe Wii U may get renamed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: the Wii U may get renamed  (Read 10822 times)
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 03:24:41 AM »

The Nintendotm Home-Entertainment Extravaganza in full technicolor, stereophonic and hyper-reality touch-sensitive display*

*batteries not included, may caused anal prolapse and rage-induncing internet outbursts
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 04:01:23 AM »

Just go retro. "Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System".
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 04:27:22 AM »

The Wiiamoto.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 05:10:01 AM »

Drop the Wii... make it

Uykered
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 05:13:07 AM »

I hope they drop the whole "wii" thing.

They're making it compatible with Wii games and accessory stuff, so they'll probably stick with the Wii in the name. Just like how they started with the DS, they can't stop having DS in the handhelds now!
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:14 AM »

a "Nintend-U"! that way they can later have a "Super Nintend-U" - "Nintend-U 1024" etc etc

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »

I hope they drop the whole "wii" thing.

They're making it compatible with Wii games and accessory stuff, so they'll probably stick with the Wii in the name. Just like how they started with the DS, they can't stop having DS in the handhelds now!
They dropped the "Gameboy" name when they released the DS, even though the previous Gameboys were massive successes and the DS runs GBA games.

One of the 3DS's initial problems was that a lot of people thought it was a DS redesign and not a new system. The Wii U could suffer from the same issues (though I guess it's less likely, what with the new controller and all). They'd have to call it "Wii 2" or something to make it clear that it's "next gen."
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 09:41:54 AM »

Wii Too?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »

Wii On U! Screamy

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 10:28:13 AM »

"Nintendo lol"

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »

"Nintendo lol"

"Nintendo \o/"

Comes with free disco lights and methamphetamines. They've been bringing the party to YOUR house since 1889, and they have no plans of stopping, gosh darn it.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »

Nintendo Wii Ur Mom
Wii u mad?

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »

Wii U NO PLAY XBAWKS INSTEAD?
Super FamiWii.

And they should make own version for each demographic.
WiiU 4 Kids
WiiU 4 Adults
WiiU 4 Dummies
WiiU 4 Evil Dictators
And so on

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »

Nintendo WOOOOAAAAHHHH
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »

Not directly related to the Wii U's name getting changed, but related to the Wii U, and I didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Wii U's NFC tech, and its potential effect on the market

In short, the same technology that Activision employed in its "Skylanders" line of products last year is going to be incorporated into the Wii U, most likely into the "tablet" controller. This has been confirmed by Nintendo. Several analysts are convinced that this is a major development for the upcoming Wii U, and could go a long way toward making it a more viable contender in the current console market.

The rather obvious example used is Pokemon. That is a no-brainer for anyone familiar with Nintendo's products. Producing and selling little plastic Pokemon figurines that work directly with a Pokemon-themed Wii U title would be an incredibly obvious and lucrative proposition.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »

Don't those figures in Spyro actually store save data on the figure? I don't know much about that Skylanders game other than it unlocks new characters.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »

Don't those figures in Spyro actually store save data on the figure?

Yes, that's actually what's a "big deal" with this development. The use of NFC technology is a means for video game developers to directly tie physical products to digital video games.

Once upon a time, this was par for the course. When the game industry operated on cartridges, game progress and data was always tied to the physical media that the games were distributed on. With the Playstation, all that changed thanks to the success of optical media. Disc-based media separated games from save data, and lead to an industry were physical media became increasingly less important. The modern success of GameStop is largely dependent on this development.

The recent success of Skylanders is opening a new opportunity that is very attractive to traditional retailers. Making video games dependent on separate physical objects would be a boon to brick-and-mortar stores. Even digitally distributed games could be combined with physical merchandise.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »

dlc scam bullshit: the next generation
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:14 PM »

dlc scam bullshit: the next generation

That is a cynical way of looking at it. A potentially accurate way of looking at it as well, but very much glass-half-empty.

I'm thinking collectible card game, with a little chip embedded in each card. A game like that would not need much data stored on each card, and most of the data would be basic numeric data. There are a lot of attractive opportunities for developers in this sort of technology.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »

Combining toys and games will certainly be the sort of things children and collectors will eat up. I'm not sure about the others.

As a gamer who isn't into owning physical stuff, I'm not sure what I might gain from this. It might be fun for a while to play a game where I have to manage my inventory (perhaps Legend of Zelda where I have to physically swap out my tools to play) but I could see that quickly turning into a tedious thing especially if it's horribly mismanaged. And that's assuming that anyone other than me actually likes the idea of a physically demanding game.

Then again, if it pushes Nintendo ahead and they follow up by making some cool traditional games in addition to the DLC figurines maybe it'll be pretty good. Nintendo still makes my favorite games, I just wish they'd make more of the good ones.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic