Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:30:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesthe Wii U may get renamed
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: the Wii U may get renamed  (Read 10823 times)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »

What would a theoretical next-gen Wii do otherwise? There's not much incentive for a soccer mom to shell out 200-300 bucks for another console when she can still play on her Wii.

By making the new console next-gen it gives the not-casual gamers something to draw them in, and hopefully they once again help introduce the new console to their less game-savvy family.

Nintendo recognizes that, despite the massive success of marketing to the casual game market, what has kept them in the black for decades has been gamers who faithfully buy their console for the latest Mario, Zelda and Metroid games. If they can't at least draw in some decent third party titles, they risk losing even those faithful gamers.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »

What would a theoretical next-gen Wii do otherwise?

Well, that's the real question, isn't it? Nintendo has painted themselves into a bit of a corner. They can't release a system that is less powerful than their competitors. The price difference would prevent it from being competitive, even if it was a step up from the Wii. And they can't release a system that's more powerful than their competitors. The price difference would kill the momentum, developer's wouldn't even bother to utilize the extra horsepower, and it would have two entrenched competitors to contend with.

The fact that they are shooting for being in the same ballpark as their competitors is already a compromise. With the momentum of the current Wii hardware falling off so sharply, they probably do need some sort of change to regain public interest.

The Wii U is going to be what it is, and there's not much that Nintendo can do to change that. The real obstacles they are facing are not of their own creation, and are not under their control. The simple truth is that the competition they face is considerably stronger than ever before. Sony finally has a grip on this console design business, and they're getting their legs underneath them with the PS3. Microsoft has a pretty clear direction mapped out for their hardware, and they're sticking to it.

What Nintendo is currently doing with the Wii U is all they can be doing. What is really going to decide things is whether or not they can come up with the software they need. The Wii U is going to need games that make the hardware compulsory. It needs its version of Wii Sports.
rogerlevy
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »

you were getting me all hyped up and moist-eyed and then BAM. last sentence.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »

you were getting me all hyped up and moist-eyed and then BAM. last sentence.

Shrug Unfortunately, it's true. Wii Sports moved the Wii. Bundling that software with the system was a large reason for the Wii's early sales boom. The Wii didn't sell because of Nintendo's known properties. It sold because of the fun, simple mini game collection that came with the hardware.

The Wii U is going to have its own "hook." But that hook isn't going to draw anyone in without the necessary software to showcase it. That is why the Wii U is going to need its own version of Wii Sports. It doesn't actually have to be sports-related, but it does have to validate the unique features of the system.

Software sells hardware, not the other way around. Wii Sports sold the Wii. What is the Wii U going to have to sell it? While making it more appealing to 3rd-party developers and publishers is a good idea, it's no guarantee of success. The market they are entering is too competitive for parity between cross-platform releases to be a major selling point. The Wii U is going to have to have a focal piece of software that validates it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »

Unfortunately, it's true. Wii Sports moved the Wii. Bundling that software with the system was a large reason for the Wii's early sales boom.
i think the wiimote and the hype that surrounded it was the reason for the sales boom. wii sports is basically just a tech demo.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »

/ninja drop

mario 64 was equally a tech demo and yet ...

Wii sport have plenty polish that goes for it while competitor didn't and only got the superficial simplicity. But that's a problem in design when all designer came from a fanboy nurtured culture. Nintendo's design culture span toys, card games and many entertainment product (love hotel? duh!)

Killer app is not dead

/smoke bomb

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »

This is why the implication of a name change was interesting to me in the first place. All other aspects will remain effectively constant; they're sticking with the philosophical blueprint and the specs, and I wonder how strong an influence branding it a new name might have.

One of the reasons they've discussed the name-change was to avoid confusion with said soccer-moms, with recognition taken into consideration. Frankly, it's a boring name, and barely leaves a "semi-next-gen" impression on me. I'm not sure it would for them either. They wont stray far from the "Wii" name, I imagine, but lets just ASSUME there will be a change - how subtle would it be?

It is important not to make the same mistake that Sony did. After two successful generations of console dominance, they assumed their brand recognition would carry them through a third cycle. They were wrong.

The Wii U is going to be what it is, and there's not much that Nintendo can do to change that.

It's as if you just answered yourself. What assumption/mistake is there to make if the Wii U's path/strategy wont change?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:20:27 PM by Faust06 » Logged
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »

might change completely, the nintablet!

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »

One of the reasons they've discussed the name-change was to avoid confusion with said soccer-moms, with recognition taken into consideration.
they've learned from their recent mistakes. as stupid as it sounds, the name and design of the 3ds are probably major reasons for its low sales. even a lot of my "gamer" friends thought it was just another ds redesign.
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »

Yes, that was the case at launch and months following it. Now, however, the 3DS has recovered well and has been selling like hot-cakes. Perhaps the big N will have the same confidence with the Wii U name, but I'm not sure.
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »

Even if you know it's different, it feels more significant if the name is different, at least for me.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »

Yes, that was the case at launch and months following it. Now, however, the 3DS has recovered well and has been selling like hot-cakes. Perhaps the big N will have the same confidence with the Wii U name, but I'm not sure.
wii u is a bad name regardless
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »

wii was a bad name regardless

rogerlevy
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »

nostalgic videogame company tops itself in horrible console names

a neckbeard embraces his pikachu plush angrily, a single tear falls
rogerlevy
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »

U Wiin
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »

I propose:
Wii
Totally
Folish

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2012/02/the-musicrhythm-game-may-not-be-dead-nintendo-patents-idea-for-musical-keyboard.html

complete with atmospheric sensor
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2012/03/wii-u-patents-reveal-environment-sensor-unit.html#more

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »

I can't wait for games with secret areas which need raised room humidity to access or next Zelda where Link will suffer a heat exhaustion at the same time as you when playing in +45c.

Or perhaps a first console Pokemon game could involve pokemons which can be seen only when it thunders outside, or when temperature is lower.

But honestly, I still find those interesting though I don't know how many of these patents will make into final product.

Nix
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »

They should just cycle back and call it the NES
rogerlevy
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »

NES 2

one fucktillion units sold
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »

They can call it whatever they want. It's all gonna be Onlive in the future anyway. Giggle

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic