Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:58:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnvironmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Environmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]  (Read 205781 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1040 on: December 30, 2014, 04:33:40 AM »

Looks really awesome and really simple. May I know what software did you use to make the pixelart?

Unfortunately the information might not be very useful; I use the pixel editor that comes with the program I use called Multimedia Fusion 2. It's not all that good but I've gotten used to it, and since it's "embedded" into the program it's easier to use it instead of importing assets.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 30, 2014, 04:39:04 AM »

Congrats on the deserved greenlighting... greenlittance.. how do you verb that? Anyway, congratulations!
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1042 on: December 30, 2014, 12:17:22 PM »

Congrats on the greenlight!  Really looking forward to this being on steam Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1043 on: December 30, 2014, 09:30:11 PM »

Congrats, man! You've earned it.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 31, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »

Can I make a suggestion?  Allow the player to use the POV switch (which is the D-pad on gamepads) to control movement.  Personally, I find the stick frustrating for side-scroller movement.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1045 on: January 01, 2015, 10:19:43 PM »

Congrats on Greenlight! Now I hope the game will be ready to buy very soon Smiley

TinyKeep is now on Steam!
@phi6
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1046 on: January 02, 2015, 05:28:35 AM »

Can I make a suggestion?  Allow the player to use the POV switch (which is the D-pad on gamepads) to control movement.  Personally, I find the stick frustrating for side-scroller movement.

D-pad has been something that has been requested several times, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to get it to work Sad the controller extension code doesn't seem to be able to recognize the D-pad buttons Sad

Congrats on Greenlight! Now I hope the game will be ready to buy very soon Smiley

Thanks! Hopefully the paperwork will be done soon enough Smiley

phi6
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1047 on: January 02, 2015, 06:21:43 AM »

Great news! I really enjoyed the demo, and for the record, thought the difficulty level was perfect!

TinyKeep is now on Steam!
@phi6
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 02, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »

I suppose it's not too big of a deal.  If it comes down to it I'm fine using something like Joy2Key.

What kind of gamepad/joystick are you using?  For my DS3 (which I have mapped to an Xbox 360 controller) the D-pad registers as 4 regular buttons, but IIRC I've seen some things map the D-pad to axes.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1049 on: January 03, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »

I suppose it's not too big of a deal.  If it comes down to it I'm fine using something like Joy2Key.

What kind of gamepad/joystick are you using?  For my DS3 (which I have mapped to an Xbox 360 controller) the D-pad registers as 4 regular buttons, but IIRC I've seen some things map the D-pad to axes.

I've tested it with an Xbox 360 controller and a SNES-like controller that has no analog sticks. I think the idea is that the d-pad should be recognized as separate buttons, but this far the only data I've been able to retrieve from them has been the "direction" the player is pressing, which doesn't help much if I can't know if they're held down or not. With the SNES controller the d-pad is recognized as the analog stick, which makes sense.

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1050 on: January 03, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »

Congrats on the Greenlight

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1051 on: January 04, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »

Inspired by the Greenlight, I started learing digital painting Smiley I think I'll try to make images like this out of the bosses in the game.

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: January 04, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »

Awesome game! Been playing the demo. Love it. Great music too! :D

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 04, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »

Nice drawing, although I have to admit that I've gotten so used to the minimal pixel look that it feels weird to see an upscaled version now Tongue
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1054 on: January 05, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »

Just had a shot at the demo, I love the ambience and creatures and everything Smiley I feel like you could make the game run a little faster, but despite that I think it's pretty darn awesome.

I noticed that the 'W' in the intro text looks a lot like the 'H', which makes words like here and were a little funny to parse. If you don't want to go past 4 pixels wide then I would make the W something like this:

Or if it's 3 pixels wide then a U with a solid base could work better as a W:

Also all the tutorial stuff needs to be mapped to the buttons on a controller, but I'm sure you're on that already.

Good luck with the Steam release, I've been waiting for this game for years! :D

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1055 on: January 05, 2015, 04:32:09 PM »

Just had a shot at the demo, I love the ambience and creatures and everything Smiley I feel like you could make the game run a little faster, but despite that I think it's pretty darn awesome.

I noticed that the 'W' in the intro text looks a lot like the 'H', which makes words like here and were a little funny to parse. If you don't want to go past 4 pixels wide then I would make the W something like this:

Or if it's 3 pixels wide then a U with a solid base could work better as a W:

Also all the tutorial stuff needs to be mapped to the buttons on a controller, but I'm sure you're on that already.

Good luck with the Steam release, I've been waiting for this game for years! :D

Thanks! Yeah, I need to work on the sprite fonts a bit, V, W and U are really hard to do properly in 3-pixels-wide sprites!!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: January 05, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »

Yeh I've played around with tiny fonts before, they are a bit of a pain, but fun. I recall yours are more than 1-bit though? If so, that makes things a little easier. Anyway, good luck Smiley

█ █  █ █  █ █ █ █ █ █ ██
█ █  █ █  ███  █   █   █
███   █   ███ █ █  █   ██

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 05, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »

I think that tiny fonts to that extent are a terrible idea is you want readability. If it's possible it would be good to have the font be able to be wider for some characters that need it. You do get readability from the context of the letters around the ones that don't read well but it's a bit hard on the brain to deal with that.

I've done that stuff a few times and I decided to conform to a base of 3x3, allowing for extensions when it was needed, for letters like b or j, like this;

It's decently readable, but the most readable, lowest resolution font I ever got to was this one:

I realize that you don't have a lot of screen space to work with though. I just wanted to add some thoughts to this little conversation.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1058 on: January 06, 2015, 01:19:21 AM »

European Space Agency
Environmental Station Alpha

Coincidence? I think not.

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1059 on: January 06, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »

re: fonts. Silkscreen is a very readable and free font designed specifically for ultra low resolution. it's what flickr used for years.

real size:

5x5 pixels per char

@doomlaser, mark johns
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic