Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:57:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnvironmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Environmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]  (Read 206918 times)
Lain
Level 0

Lain Trzaska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: December 31, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »

This looks extremely well polished and put together, especially for a MMF game.
The trailer showcased some interesting platforming too but for me i find it very hollow and it doesnt bring anything new to the table design or concept wise.

Maybe it's hard to see the full picture from what you have shown so far but I hope there is an extra element in there that will bring you into the game and into the world.

It would be a shame if this ended up being just a pixelly metroidvania game with no soul.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: January 01, 2013, 03:58:05 AM »

Unfortunately it will be exactly that!

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: January 01, 2013, 05:30:31 AM »

I mean, a pixelated metroidvania game, what else could one ask? And it doesnt look soul-less at all to me btw  Gomez

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: January 01, 2013, 05:45:11 AM »

I'm totally happy with the gimmick-free direction this game seems to be headed in. I don't mind if it closely follows established conventions, I find the invented technical constraints, attention to design and cool biological stuff far more compelling!
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: January 01, 2013, 08:57:42 AM »

I mean, a pixelated metroidvania game, what else could one ask? And it doesnt look soul-less at all to me btw  Gomez

I agree.
Good controls, confortable mechanics and a great level/enemy design and you'll make the niche love it!

Working on HeliBrawl
Lain
Level 0

Lain Trzaska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »

Just that I though this game has a lot potential to go places, especially because its so well polished in all other areas.. There is nothing wrong with mindless fun and engaging gameplay though.

Ashkin
« Reply #506 on: January 01, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »

it doesnt bring anything new to the table design or concept wise
Why are all indies completely obsessed with innovation to the point that they forget to make games fun
Lain
Level 0

Lain Trzaska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: January 01, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »

Why are all indies completely obsessed with innovation to the point that they forget to make games fun

Yeah, because adding something new immediately means no fun.. Except it doesn't.
The game creator answered me by mentioning the game will just be a simple but fun metroidvania experience and that is just fine.

My opinion, although not all super positive in all aspects, there is no need to try to go mob mentality on me and put me in the wrong.
I can not wait to play this game, but I also expressed it would be great if it added something extra, which it apparently won't and that is just fine, although a shame.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: January 01, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »

Because if you do something already done , no one will play your game more than One second.

Ashkin
« Reply #509 on: January 01, 2013, 07:26:34 PM »

Yeah, because adding something new immediately means no fun.. Except it doesn't.
Perhaps I phrased that in an extreme way. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the whole thing, but basically I think that innovation should not be pursued as an absolute goal of gaming- I view it as more of a thing needed when something else becomes stale. I don't mean one should make clones of the same game mechanics again and again, but I think mixing tried and true components can achieve fun. I think people should focus on making games, what they believe to be fun- if that fun is found through innovation, I have nothing against that. However, if people want to perfect a formula instead, I also think they should do that. Whatever is fun for the game maker. As long as the innovators don't blaspheme the traditionalists and vice-versa.
tl;dr: Make games, in whatever way is fun for you.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:08 AM »

Any moderately ambitious game will almost inevitably ""Innovate"" regardless of how much the creator pursues it unless they're literally making a clone.
Hempuli is a good developer and I don't doubt that this will be a unique and fun game, especially for fans of metroid-likes. From the looks of it it has ten times the "soul" of any self-proclaimed "innovative/experimental" game.

I really thought we were past this shit.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 02, 2013, 07:01:07 AM »

The opposite is true as well: a game needn't be innovative to be fun, or have depth, or soul.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: January 02, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »

Personally I think the best indie games are often those which do something weird and new, because to me one of the defining things of the indie scene is that developers aren't restricted from experimenting.

Also I strongly criticize the whole concept of 'soul' in games because it's just a way of saying "I really like this game" while trying to make it less of a subjective and more of an objective thing.

Also also I think in the context of ESA this whole discussion is a bit useless, since I've at least tried to imply from the beginning that this game doesn't really have much of its own going on at any point. I appreciate and somewhat agree with the notion that this is a 'shame' and removes some of the game's potential, but I also do think that if the game's good enough in other areas, it can still be viewed as a 'good' game.

(I'm not really sure if the game's actually as fun to play as the gifs imply, but that's something left to be seen)

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: January 02, 2013, 07:44:53 AM »

(I'm not really sure if the game's actually as fun to play as the gifs imply, but that's something left to be seen)

I obviously don't want to add to the expectation, but gameplay seems pretty spot on by the look of it. Release a demo soon maybe? *hint* *hint*

Also, in addition to gameplay, what makes metroidvania games tick is the novelty of discovery and the sense of wonder when encountering new and interesting things. Looks to me ESA is promising in that department as well Smiley

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: January 02, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »

I obviously don't want to add to the expectation, but gameplay seems pretty spot on by the look of it. Release a demo soon maybe? *hint* *hint*

Also, in addition to gameplay, what makes metroidvania games tick is the novelty of discovery and the sense of wonder when encountering new and interesting things. Looks to me ESA is promising in that department as well Smiley

Why thanks! The latter is something I hope I've managed to create to the game, because it's definitely the reason why I've enjoyed many metroidvanias. I suppose I should get more playtesters.

Ashkin
« Reply #515 on: January 02, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »

I can assure you, it is.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: January 10, 2013, 08:15:34 AM »

Just a simple pic to imply that I'm not dead:

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:14 PM »

Just a simple pic to imply that I'm not dead:

With ESA, even simple screenshots make us happy! :-)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 10, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »

Will we ever get a build, pwease?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: January 10, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »

...To be honest, I highly doubt the possibility of that. You see, I'm quite sure (based on previous experiences) that there are several things that'll only get added when the development process is nearly over (little details, polish, effects, audio) and I don't think I'd be comfortable with releasing a demo/beta/whatever version the content of which wasn't at least nearly final.

Today the completion percent crawled up to 64%! Whee! The tenth boss is giving me some problems, but while waiting for ideas I'm doing some new areas and redesigning certain old ones.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic