Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:45:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Night In-Between [Stealth Action-Adventure game]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: A Night In-Between [Stealth Action-Adventure game]  (Read 19416 times)
beto
Level 0

Game Designer @ Aduge Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2012, 02:29:16 PM »

Hello,
This is a great game, where can I get help for it?
Thank you, dude! o/
You can always ask for help here with me!
I'll try to answer will less spoilers possible, so that you still might have something to figue out =]

I have found one vial (the one which is mentioned above in the thread), but I don't know where to look for the other ones. I have also found the third guardian, but of course not killed him. I think there's a room (somewhere in a magical passage) which I can't seem to enter. It is closed by a gate over which three blood drops are painted. There's also a room full of columns which seems to be infinite (or wrap around), and I don't know what to do inside it. I have opened both gates at the twin riddle, but it doesn't seem to do anything useful except give access to the corridor. I have gathered 27 secrets over 32.

Don't mind about the room with the blood drops, it's just another way to get to the center of that room (and then the puzzle related to the blood drops is meant to be solved if you're inside the room with the guards). You have found the three gateways to the other plane of the fortress. Through each passage you'll find your way to each vial. The forest of pillars (as we call it) is somewhat like Lost Woods from Zelda. A tip though, follow the sound to find your way. Check the twin riddle again, and mind it while you define what chord they will sing, otherwise you'll always get an empty corridor.

Aduge's first fully fledged game, A Night In-Between, has been released and needs your vote on Greenlight to get on Steam.
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »

Every time I make it to Fat Frida's room, I always join in the festivities myself.

No need to sneak around anymore. It's a party! I can party too. So I immediately put my arrow keys to the ultimate test. I dance! I dance like the morning will never come!

My dance moves are so great that the other dancers are overcome with awe - even if they still can't see me! The power of my dance is so magnificent, the others simply cower in the corner. My dance moves are simply too much for them! ... and if they can't dance, they are no friends of mine.

Even Fat Frida love my dancing. Right, Fat Frida? Yeah! High five, Fat Frida!
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »

Every time I make it to Fat Frida's room, I always join in the festivities myself.

No need to sneak around anymore. It's a party! I can party too. So I immediately put my arrow keys to the ultimate test. I dance! I dance like the morning will never come!

My dance moves are so great and overpowering, that the other dancers are overcome with awe - even if they still can't see me. The power of my dance is so magnificent, the others simply cower in the corner. My dance moves are simply too much for them! ... and if they can't dance, they are no friends of mine.

Even Fat Frida love my dancing. Right, Fat Frida? Yeah! High five, Fat Frida!
Hahahahahahahahahaha
That's great! =D

Record a video of the awesome dance!
I bet everyone will love it! =D

Aduge's first fully fledged game, A Night In-Between, has been released and needs your vote on Greenlight to get on Steam.
TigrouDuRouergue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »

Hello,
This is a great game, where can I get help for it?
Thank you, dude! o/
You can always ask for help here with me!
I'll try to answer will less spoilers possible, so that you still might have something to figue out =]

Ok, I've now finished the game! The gameplay and atmosphere are really great, sometimes tense and gripping. But the twins riddle I only solved by chance (I tried to interpret the riddle, for instance the starting letters of every sentence, but couldn't find any solution that way).

If you want the game to get known, perhaps you should submit it to the Humble Indie Bundle?
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »

Ok, I've now finished the game! The gameplay and atmosphere are really great, sometimes tense and gripping. But the twins riddle I only solved by chance (I tried to interpret the riddle, for instance the starting letters of every sentence, but couldn't find any solution that way).
Yay! I'm glad you liked it! =]

The important thing about the riddle is the information that they should sing the same thing. And by beautiful tune it means a good sounding chord, so if you try something dissonant it won't work. Either way, you should have them singing the same chord. Every tonic, third and fifth will do. There's also a combination of tonic, second and fifth that will do (and have a special effect on the lower room) because it's a arabic ethnic progression that also sounds good (and it's more on the mood of the game).

If you want the game to get known, perhaps you should submit it to the Humble Indie Bundle?
We just haven't tried any bundle yet because it might be harmful for the game image, considering we've just released it (it might seems like the game isn't good and then it's tring to get a ride on other games).
We plan on doing it, but we'll wait some time.

Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »

I sort of objected to how the game's manual names the protagonist outright. Taken at its purest form, Qasir is like Cave Story. I had to earn the right to know what is name was, darnit!

Some of the newer lines in the final version actually surprised me. It was nice to see some of the lines I thought were cut reappear in the passive narrative (like the memo to hisself in the room after the flooded patio), but the newer memo to himself in the Southern main corridor was a total shock. I didn't expect his own version of the Northerner's Syndrome was actually so deep-seated. He isn't wondering those things simply because he's some sort of inter-dimensional tourist. He's got serious identity issues wrapped up in it.

I wonder though... Ask Ingrid for me how many other places on Earth our dear Krathonos has appeared in throughout history. Given how communication media was at such a rudimentary state in that era of human history, most of the information on the Goetia localizes in select geographic areas during certain decades, and only spreads via gossip and rare codex exchange centuries later. This something Makhor even remarks on himself, given how outdated most of the information is.

I know for certain that he earned names in China and Sicily. If he was doing what he said he was doing, then ancient China would certainly provide a rich history of emperors, kingdoms, provincial wars, dynasties, and all sorts of political intrigue to be involved with. Sicily around these times would've limited interaction with the Greeks, then Romans, and during the era of this story, the Normans, though it wouldn't have been anything historically significant if it happened before the formation of the Norman Kingdom, but that might be too late in the timeline, since he says himself calls were growing rarer by then.

This makes me wonder how old Makhor is and the usual lifespan of his kind. My guess is that, even from the strong and hearty ones would be close to immortal if left entirely alone, but Baalam's employee retention probably isn't very good considering the type of work they do. Yet their reputations in both worlds persist for centuries, and even Makhor seems to remember times much earlier than we would think is feasible. (My preference here is that he would believe the history of the two worlds firsthand, as the Goetia don't strike me as the type of the society which would have an unbiased, objective history, passed on through some sort of educational system.) My conclusion given these issues is that the passage of time between the two worlds must flow at differing rates.

Even given this, Krathonos gives me the impression that even though he has been at work for some time, he is not considered by his own standards to be very old. In some ways he's still trying to grow up from being the runt of whatever litter he popped out of, even now.

Since the Northerners Syndrome is much more fleshed out now, I'm starting to see the subtext where if the Northerners are what we considered "angels", then the Goetia must logically be of a much more demonic origin.

Our dear protagonist embodies some of the very qualities so many cultures have assigned to a universally devilish quality; not just in his physical appearance, if it were artistically depicted, but also in his actions as an invisible thing, carrying a sudden and inexplicable disease and death with him as he floats soundlessly through the halls. Surely, he is not the work of the Gods - or at least any god we would care to worship. Like most practitioners of the dark arts, Al-Saahir wishes the plauge upon his own fortress.

And if Makhor carried the Lesser Key of Solomon back with him to the realm of the Goetia, I'd hate to imagine the consequences that would have. Yes, it is a victory for our protagonist, having freed himself of his crippling dependence on the human world, but what unseen horrors under the power of Baalam could now be unleashed, no longer just from the ambition of a dark artist, but simply at the whims and fancy of the horrible unseen itself? Our only underlying hope is that Makhor keeps the script to himself, using it as his own way to escape the endless war of the Goetia. ... But should his own fancy with the Northerners Syndrome ever wane, humanity's increasingly godless future at the end of Qasir's story is a grim one indeed.

Ingrid is a smart writer. She finishes the current story as neatly and satisfyingly as possible, but the grounds for the next story, or even the previous story, are still fertile as ever. ... granted, if you shit out a sequel with the number "2" on the end, I can't say I'll ever forgive you, ar?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:31:27 PM by Morroque » Logged
TigrouDuRouergue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 04:54:19 AM »

We just haven't tried any bundle yet because it might be harmful for the game image, considering we've just released it (it might seems like the game isn't good and then it's tring to get a ride on other games).

It's true that bundles are often a mixed bag, or downright mediocre, but there have been some very good games in some of them (e.g. Braid, Defcon). For the record, I actually played the game on Linux with Wine, it worked fine.

I'd like to wish you a very good luck, because that game was really out of the ordinary, and a great surprise (I learnt about it in Rock Paper Shotgun).
Omnicrone
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »

Gosh MW, you made me get out of my lurking spot to really reply to your awesome post.

Ahm, for clarification, I'm Bruno Bulhões, creative director of Qasir al-Wasat. I only lurked here for this entire time because, well, I'm a little too busy during regular dev time (I mean it). However, right now I'm not THAT busy, so here I am.

I feel like I kind of know everyone around here. I read and tried to address every issue all of you guys had while testing the game. Me, along with Beto and Ingrid formed the creative core for the Game Design for this game. The core of the lore is most from Ingrid, myself and Maperns (our art director), but the bulk of it is all Ingrid's work.

I'm replying because your post made me really, really happy for the work me and Ingrid put on the lore and script for Qasir. Your response to all of this is exactly the kind of response we wish for our players. We worked hard to build the lore of this setting  and it is extremely rewarding to see players actually care about it =]

That said, well, I'd like to point out some stuff about the lore, fun stuff. I will not, however drop a shitload of solid "this is canon" facts around, though, unless specifically asked. This is because me and Ingrid really like having our lore a little obscured/ambiguous for players to speculate and try to form their own conclusions.

So, anyway, first lore tidbit, the may names of Makhor. Knowing this will help puzzle together just how old Makhor is and where It has appeared on the human realm:
* Usemi Lalartu (meaning Changed/Changing Spirit, or Shapeshifter in Sumerian) - This is a forgotten name of Makhor (even Makhor itself forgot this one). It is here to show how old Makhor possibly is.
* Makhor (meaning Cold/Source in Hebrew) - This is the oldest recorded name of Makhor, but NOT its True Name (only Makhor itself and Balaam knows Makhor's current True Name). It is obviously very old. It is the name actually written on its invocation seal (read it up!).
* Effyís (meaning Witty/Subtle in Greek, also, a female name Grin) - This is the most famous name Makhor ever had, however, it is linked to its time as a Marbas' legionaire. There is not on Qasir about it though.
* Wu Xing (meaning Unseen/Invisible in Chinese) - Chinese sorcerers called Makhor this name because he could enact assassinations without a trace.
* Nosenbär (meaning Bear-nosed in German) - At the events of Qasir al-Wasat, Makhor was never called by this name, yet. *wink*
* Kratkonos (meaning Brief Beak in Russian) - At the events of Qasir al-Wasat, Makhor was never called by this name, yet. *wink*

There are other names, but they are not as important as those.

I was writing some more lore tidbits, but I think I will stop here and leave only this one. I do not wish to overload the topic with lore stuff. If people want to talk about lore more deeply, I can set up a Q&A or a FAQ for everyone later. For now, though, enjoy the game and see ya =D.

A lot of awesome stuff.
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »

* Usemi Lalartu (meaning Changed/Changing Spirit, or Shapeshifter in Sumerian) - This is a forgotten name of Makhor (even Makhor itself forgot this one). It is here to show how old Makhor possibly is.

Ancient Mesopotamia?! Seriously? I would've marked him around the Zhou dynasty at the earliest.

... then again, it never occurred to me what the etymology of his chosen name would be. If it is Hebrew in nature, and if I'm recalling my history of empire correctly, then that would've at least marked him as being around in the time of 970-910 BCE. That is the estimated time when King Solomon, if he existed, which the game presupposes, would've formed the to-be-divided land of Israel and Judeah and the magic of opening portals was in use and inscribed upon the lesser key.

This, in no way, detracts from the magic being possibly Mesopotamian in origin, since a lot early Jewish mythology was borrowed from Sumerian myth, albeit secularized and drained of a lot of mysticism. Some of the more complete analyses of that history I've read say this transfer of knowledge would've first happened at the Slaughter of the Canaanites, and thus the art of Goetian portals would've become available to both nations at that time.

I estimated that Krathonos would've just been born around that time, though. ... granted, Mesopotamia is still active at this time, and the fall of Babylon didn't happen until 500 years later. So theoretically, Usemi Lalartu and Makhor could've both happened in the same relative timespan, but it just depends on exactly how far you're willing to go back into that realm of history... (A lot of history that far back ain't that interesting, I think. The Zhou dynasty at the same time of Solomon was still trying to create bronzeworking and its ideographic script.)

Eatingburger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »

It would've been neat to see the guards slicing at test dummies in one early area, so you could get to know their timing/reach without actually having to find out via. (most likely) dying.
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »

It's true that bundles are often a mixed bag, or downright mediocre, but there have been some very good games in some of them (e.g. Braid, Defcon). For the record, I actually played the game on Linux with Wine, it worked fine.

I'd like to wish you a very good luck, because that game was really out of the ordinary, and a great surprise (I learnt about it in Rock Paper Shotgun).
Sure, there were a lot of nice bundles around! I've bought some three or four myself.
We'll try suggesting our game to Indie Royale when the timing feels right =]
(and Humble Bundle if Unity 4.0 be able to build for Linux)

Thanks, bro! o/

Ingrid is a smart writer. She finishes the current story as neatly and satisfyingly as possible, but the grounds for the next story, or even the previous story, are still fertile as ever. ... granted, if you shit out a sequel with the number "2" on the end, I can't say I'll ever forgive you, ar?
Bruno coverd the lore topics neatly! It's nice to see you around, dude! =]
As for the sequel I won't go much into it, but expect a future sequel (after a couple of other games we'll develop first) to be something unusual again. Perhaps something involving a medieval Moskva Kreml and the misterious death of Ivan Groznyi...
(and we liked the idea of titles being the name of the place and a poser slogan hahah, just like Castlevanias)

It would've been neat to see the guards slicing at test dummies in one early area, so you could get to know their timing/reach without actually having to find out via. (most likely) dying.
But isn't it better to learn by failure? I think failing on games isn't something that should be marked as a bad thing... And this was also something we tried to evoke from old games, in which dying was considered part of the process of learning and (sometimes even) enjoying the game.
=]

Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »

As for the sequel I won't go much into it, but expect a future sequel (after a couple of other games we'll develop first) to be something unusual again. Perhaps something involving a medieval Moskva Kreml and the misterious death of Ivan Groznyi...

... he certainly fits your art style, that's for sure.

I don't know how indepth it is, but if you're still planning, consider what a very small "battle style" version of multiplayer Qasir would be like. I've always wondered how multiplayer stealth would end up working out with one player as the infiltrator and all the others as the guardsmen. In your case, my guess would be there would need to be 1) an objective for the infiltrator on a time limit, and 2) the ability of the other players to reprogram the patrol paths of normal AI guards within single rooms, maybe with a grid-based system or drawing a path with the mouse. Since the infiltrator is actually invisible, it would be interesting to observe how the guards would actually sniff out such a thing if they were human controlled. (If you could collect metrics on 'em, it might help inform some of the single-player guard AI.)

But if you do consider it, keep it as just a fun extra, like the the "

" in the SNES version of Super Mario Brothers 3. Qasir is still a game where the single player mode comes at the utmost importance.

Oh yeah! Consider new guard types, like guard dogs who will try to hone in on the player's scent until the player hides in a pool of water or goes in an area with a stronger smell. It would be interesting to see how nonhuman characters would sense/react to his presence and how human guards react to the confusion of the animal.

Or rather smart guards that throw smoke bombs or pigment bombs in areas they think is suspicious? That would be a devilish trick.

... or maybe drunk/highly paranoid guards that think they see something and act unpredictably while swinging their swords wildly? (Since Islam won't be a running theme Russia, you can liqueur a few people up without being haraam anymore.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:05:59 AM by Morroque » Logged
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2012, 09:06:08 AM »

... he certainly fits your art style, that's for sure.
This is what originated Qasir! hahaha
The "sequel" was actually our first concepts (and insanely larger in scope) of this game.
But we had to stop and do something within our limitations of knowledge and experience at the time, so Qasir was born out of this (such as its first project codename was Й, that is a "short i" in cyrillic).

I don't know how indepth it is, but if you're still planning, consider what a very small "battle style" version of multiplayer Qasir would be like. I've always wondered how multiplayer stealth would end up working out with one player as the infiltrator and all the others as the guardsmen. In your case, my guess would be there would need to be 1) an objective for the infiltrator on a time limit, and 2) the ability of the other players to reprogram the patrol paths of normal AI guards within single rooms, maybe with a grid-based system or drawing a path with the mouse. Since the infiltrator is actually invisible, it would be interesting to observe how the guards would actually sniff out such a thing if they were human controlled.

But if you do consider it, keep it as just a fun extra, like the the "

" in the SNES version of Super Mario Brothers 3. Qasir is still a game where the single player mode comes at the utmost importance.
This is something that never came up to us (even though someone recently asked on a review post if it's possible to play as the "General Aladdin" hahah). But I'm afraid even as an extra it would be so misfit to the aloneness tone of the game (and definetly would be a hell of work for an extra).
But something we considered having as an extra was a dungeon editor. So that you could build your own Kremlin, set up patrols, behaviors, puzzles, etc.

Oh yeah! Consider new guard types, like guard dogs who will try to hone in on the player's scent until the player hides in a pool of water or goes in an area with a stronger smell. It would be interesting to see how nonhuman characters would sense/react to his presence and how human guards react to the confusion of the animal.

Or rather smart guards that throw smoke bombs or pigment bombs in areas they think is suspicious? That would be a devilish trick.

... or maybe drunk/highly paranoid guards that think they see something and act unpredictably while swinging their swords wildly? (Since Islam won't be a running theme Russia, you can liqueur a few people up without being haraam anymore.)
You're predicting the (past) future, right? hahaha
We have animals planned and the guard dogs would be just like this. They would scent you, so even invisible they'd show a threat. There would be cats, that would treat you tender, caressing you with the head (just like cats do) and sometimes show hidden things if you follow them. We planned on have chickens that could make noise and raise suspicion, swimming ducks that would also be friendly and heavy draft horses that upon scared released might cause some havoc.

The npcs would have eight distinct behaviors that would tell a chance of reacting properly to each situation. And the smart guards could set traps to you. Along with a miriad of npcs there would also be lots of different enemies, a commoner worker (like a butcher, blacksmith), three kinds of melee guards (the regular one, a fast one and a bulky one), two ranged (one with a crossbow and a sniper with a rifle), a special guard (with a pistol and a torch, that's capable of creating environment deformities), a special squad (Golova Team) scattered through the palace on some hotspots, and three elite guards that are Ivan's personal henchmen.

And this is only a brief explanation of everything we'd like to do hahaha

hogfather2012
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »

I registered here just to get an answer to this issue:

I'm stuck at 27/32 secrets. I have given water to the northern pool (and the southern pool), killed 2 guardians, and (I think) explored all there is to explore in the blue palace. There is a door with 3 red waterdrops above them that I can't find a way to access. This is the only location that I have any reason to believe will help me to proceed.

I don't know any more items I could use to proceed. I've found the way through the wrapping-around maze, placed the mechanism that unlocks part of the blue palace, melted the glass with acid. I solved the twin puzzles (which is the way I gained access to the blue palace). I found (and used) both a "milk" item and a "water" item, the latter of which filled the northern pool. I've discovered a lot of alchemical formulae that don't seem to be useful (other than to flesh out the world) like invisibility.

Here is a screenshot of my current in-game map.

Could I get a few hints as to how to proceed from here? I honestly have no clue where there are unexplored doors left.

edit: since I'm here, I might as well ask: so far, I've managed not to kill any npcs(barring the two targets, obviously. A contract is a contract after all). With one sad exception: the guard who stands in front of the secure room with the mechanism(?) that closes the door if you take the item (you solve it by swapping the item with a useless ruby). Was there any way to avoid killing him?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:26:08 AM by hogfather2012 » Logged
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »

I registered here just to get an answer to this issue:

I'm stuck at 27/32 secrets. I have given water to the northern pool (and the southern pool), killed 2 guardians, and (I think) explored all there is to explore in the blue palace. There is a door with 3 red waterdrops above them that I can't find a way to access. This is the only location that I have any reason to believe will help me to proceed.

I don't know any more items I could use to proceed. I've found the way through the wrapping-around maze, placed the mechanism that unlocks part of the blue palace, melted the glass with acid. I solved the twin puzzles (which is the way I gained access to the blue palace). I found (and used) both a "milk" item and a "water" item, the latter of which filled the northern pool. I've discovered a lot of alchemical formulae that don't seem to be useful (other than to flesh out the world) like invisibility.

Here is a screenshot of my current in-game map.

Could I get a few hints as to how to proceed from here? I honestly have no clue where there are unexplored doors left.
Hahah, I wonder if someone will make a walkthrough of the game someday...
Anyways, welcome! =]

You haven't filled two of the three pools (the southern one was already full before tour coming). This means you haven't explored all of the blue palace. Either way there are five remarks there, acquired through investigation, and by your numbers and map at least four of them you've collected. Have you seen the "spell cutscene" on the northern corridor? This is an easy remark to lose and it can be lost forever if enter the northeastern portion of the map (and there is a quite logic reason for this happening). Have you got every riddle remark? There are four of them.

Don't worry about the room with the blood drops. Just like melting the glass door, it's just another way to get to the center of that warp zone (and there is no remark up there).

Where have you put the milk vial? Seems like you've put it on the wrong place, as you've put the water vial on the right place (thus filling the northern pool as you said).

Also there is the third target's weapon remark and more three on places you haven't explored yet.

hogfather2012
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »

I had placed the milk in the blue palace statue you reach if you go through the southern portal in the room with the murals. I was able to remove it again and placed it in the central chamber.

Does placing key items in the central chamber of blue palace change things in the blue palace, or in the normal palace? Or both? (Don't say specifics).

I made my own map to navigate the blue palace, that's why. If portals change destinations or if rooms change in layout I need to go through the whole thing again...

I have seen the following "memories":
the djinn "dies"/leaves.
the sorcerer arrives at the palace
the djinn and sorcerer have dinner

I've found a "corpse" (the previous servant to the sorcerer) and I've found the frescoes.

I have noticed a locked door in the blue palace you reach if you go through the northeastern portal (from central) first, go through the northernmost portal next and on the western wall while navigating traps I see the door.

I've found the fire riddle, star riddle and twin riddles.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:39:37 AM by hogfather2012 » Logged
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »

I had placed the milk in the blue palace statue you reach if you go through the southern portal in the room with the murals. I was able to remove it again and placed it in the central chamber.

Does placing key items in the central chamber of blue palace change things in the blue palace, or in the normal palace? Or both? (Don't say specifics).

I made my own map to navigate the blue palace, that's why. If portals change destinations or if rooms change in layout I need to go through the whole thing again...

You're really supposed to put the vials on the central chamber, hat statue once held the honey vial. And the changes are perceived on the normal palace, on the blue palace you can only see the vials used up on their right places in the central chamber.

It makes me glad to know that you took your time to do it =]
Did it help you go through that part of the game?
That area navigation was inspired on Giruvegan Great Crystal from Final Fantasy XII where the game provides no relevant map and you warp from various locations that aren't connected on a linear pattern on space (I mean in game, because you can actually draw a linear map of connected nodes).

I have noticed a locked door in the blue palace you reach if you go through the northeastern portal (from central) first, go through the northernmost portal next and on the western wall while navigating traps I see the door.
I didn't figure out well which room you're meaning but I think I might know...
Is it the room with the spike and bolt traps?
If that's the case, pay attention to the walls that fire the bolts, there will be one out of the pattern that might be connected to the opening of that gate.

I've found the fire riddle, star riddle and twin riddles.

Then perhaps you might be missing the smoke riddle to reach 28 before going to the other four I told?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:40:43 AM by beto » Logged

hogfather2012
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »

Well. I just finished the game.

And now I wish I hadn't asked for help, because I'd seen that visual cue in the corridor in the old palace, yet I chalked it up to a graphical oddity. This because I usually noticed it when dying, and I ignored it as a weird artifact.

One thing though: I had in fact found the smoke riddle, but died trying to carry it out, thus ignoring it upon respawn. That's where the confusion set in. It doesn't help that you can only add it to your "journal" if the guards have finished their dialogue, leading me to conclude I already had it and there was nothing to activate.

Final tally was 31 out of 32 secrets. Not a bad score, and yet I really want the last part. I think I know whére it is, but I can't get to it. I assume it's beyond the door guarded by a "special" guard, in a corridor with 6 censers, one of which lights up red if you kill a guard. I don't understand this puzzle.

About the map: it definitely helped to make my own, but more to create order in the chaos that is the portals than anything else, to make clear where I'd been and where I hadn't. I also started to create one when I already had most of the central portals unlocked, but without it it would have taken me a lot longer to discover the pillar/follow the music puzzle room.

I'd like to congratulate you on the art style, especially the journal items and the smoke animations. Those were great. I also liked how the identity of the protagonist was only slowly unveiled, and the somewhat different interpretation of Arabian (?) myths. I'm a sucker for intriguing world building mixed with unrevealed mystery, and this scratched that itch. One remark: there were a few locations where the protagonist would have internal dialogue about his nature and/or that of the different characters or factions. I think I missed several of these because the cue isn't clear whether he'll describe the room/something in the room or have these interesting monologues.

Lastly, and this is probably a small thing, but whoever designed the reflexions in the (filled) pools, with the moon and stars and whatnot, those were gorgeous.

And I still don't know how to get into the 3 bloody tears room!

Hand Thumbs Up Left
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »

Say Beto, were there any actual flags or secrets put in for pacifist runs?

I know DB and some of these newer players decided to try a no-kills-other-than-the-targets playstyle, but having played through it myself so much, there are basically a few rooms I can think of in the Northwestern end of the palace that are just so obviously begging for a slaughter. I haven't been able to figure out a route through them. Notably, the westernmost Warp Zone you need to carry a key through, the flooded patio, and the one guarded room with a really short timed gate. These specific areas strike me as preventing pacifist playthroughs from continuing - especially that one warp zone. You need at least one kill in there. (I know you have a video of yourself doing the flooded patio, but I swear that is just good luck.)

If only I could still powershuffle my way silently through the palace, ar?
beto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »

One thing though: I had in fact found the smoke riddle, but died trying to carry it out, thus ignoring it upon respawn. That's where the confusion set in. It doesn't help that you can only add it to your "journal" if the guards have finished their dialogue, leading me to conclude I already had it and there was nothing to activate.
There's an area on which you trigger that conversation, and then you can't trigger another text while a conversation is active. That's why you can't get the popup if the conversation is running, since you need to investigate it.
I've changed a little the size and position of the collision to start that conversation, now it shouldn't get so much in the way of the riddle and it still has a fair size so that if you roam a little to the back and bottom of the room you can trigger it.

Final tally was 31 out of 32 secrets. Not a bad score, and yet I really want the last part. I think I know whére it is, but I can't get to it. I assume it's beyond the door guarded by a "special" guard, in a corridor with 6 censers, one of which lights up red if you kill a guard. I don't understand this puzzle.
Look carefully into every special guard. You might be missing their details...

I'd like to congratulate you on the art style, especially the journal items and the smoke animations. Those were great. I also liked how the identity of the protagonist was only slowly unveiled, and the somewhat different interpretation of Arabian (?) myths. I'm a sucker for intriguing world building mixed with unrevealed mystery, and this scratched that itch. One remark: there were a few locations where the protagonist would have internal dialogue about his nature and/or that of the different characters or factions. I think I missed several of these because the cue isn't clear whether he'll describe the room/something in the room or have these interesting monologues.

Lastly, and this is probably a small thing, but whoever designed the reflexions in the (filled) pools, with the moon and stars and whatnot, those were gorgeous.
Thanks, dude! Our visual artist and our content designer will be very happy to hear it =]
Actually there is no particular rule for it, as it's meant to be "what it's thinking about the situation". What I can tell is that the pool corridors are a place it's more likely to think about itself and wonder about things.

And I still don't know how to get into the 3 bloody tears room!
I think you'll figure it out soon! =]
As for the remaining remark that's still missing, I don't know which one it could be.
Send me a PM with the the names of the remarks you managed to collect and I'll try giving a hint (less revealing as possible) of the one that's left.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic