Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:47:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Work[Profit Share] Programmer looking for a Game designer / Level designer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Profit Share] Programmer looking for a Game designer / Level designer  (Read 1757 times)
test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »

Hi,

I'm developing a action platformer for 7 months now in Flash and it's at a good stage.

It's a standard paltformer with several game mechanics already implemented such as double jump, 3 weapons with reaload system, a good editor for the level designer, several enemy types (stationary, running, following and flying), Door system to navigate between levels, a system to handle 100+ levels, chiptune playback, environment hazzards, blood and other particles and I need a game designer who can shape it and make it into a good game with some edits and design levels for it.

Work is currently unpaid but if we make any money out of it, I'll cut the person a share but it's mostly for educational purposes or for your CV/resume.

Send me a PM of your previous work/resume/whatever shows your work and I'll give you an example of the game.

-test84
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:03:33 PM by test84 » Logged

test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »

Position is still open, thought I list features that I got to tempt designers:

Player:
Run
Jump
Double Jump
Pistol
Shotgun
Machinegun
Loot pickup
Reload

Enemies:
Patrol
Follower
Hanging
Flying
Environment Hazzard
Spawner

Level:
100+
Scrolling
Collidable Particles
Door

Good Editor
Blood + GIbs

RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »

I think you should post more details about the project to get people interested. What's the overall style, what USPs do you have, what art style do you do, what's the story, how and when will you publish, etc. Or is this project at an engine level only and you still need all that decided? Good luck anyway.

test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »

I think you should post more details about the project to get people interested. What's the overall style, what USPs do you have, what art style do you do, what's the story, how and when will you publish, etc. Or is this project at an engine level only and you still need all that decided? Good luck anyway.

Thanks but since I have an original idea, I wanted to share it with potential candidates. I'm even happy to propose a demo version, as said in the first post.

test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »

But let me talk a little more about it.

It's a pixellated retro-style platformer which has solid controls and focuses on combat, rather than exploration. It has features that I just posted in 2 posts before and I integrated a good editor so the level designs are visually identical to what we will see in the game.

Since I've been developing it for 7.5 months now, I put a lot of efforts to make it as easy as possible for game designers to work with, for example if you want a door to go to some specific level, you just select it in the editor and type the level number into it, done!

And if you want to spawn an specific horde, you just write the numbers that describes each wave of horde and you see it in the game.

On the other hand, we have a great LIVE editor, for example if you want to solidify some variables, you don't need to change them in the code, you just fire up the game, the custom debugger and edit the values while the game is running and you can see it's effect in the game, no need to restart the game. That's how I managed to get solid controls for my character so far.

Enemy types are general now and are open to more advances, for example the flying enemy can be a side kick for the player and like shoot here and there or enemies can have shooting ability with just a few lines of code.

As I'm trying to describe, it has great potential for a great game and I'm more than happy to develop features that requires it to reach that state.

Let me know if you need to know anything more.

test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:58:34 AM »

A friend of mine told me that this topic might be frightening to some people with not much experience so I thought adding some more info.

Let me add this that I'm mostly interested to wrap up the game using current feature that you have in your arsenal with level design and one or two features that you may need. So it's mostly a level design task with some design on themes and boss fights.

It's a very good exercise for a level designer.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »

What is your target audience? Hardcore gamer or someone more casual? I am good with designing levels that enforce the player to maximize the skills the game teaches them. But I am bad at design for very casual players.

test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »

Game is not Super Meat Boy but is not targeted to Cooking Mama players either.

Since it is a flash game, we try to target the average player with elements that would appeal to more hardcore players. Something like classic mario games, normal players can finish the game but hardcore players can get secrets or wrap to the final boss in a few minutes.

And don't worry, if you want to participate, I'll play your levels and give you inputs. I have bunch of friends that are platformer players and we can get their input.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »

Try this:

http://nayon7.livejournal.com/1507.html

It's "I Wanna Be The Guy" hard

Also this, which is pretty hard:

http://nayon7.livejournal.com/1058.html

By the way, I don't really care about profit, so I can work unpaid. I just want to have some (finished, for once) work under my name.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:09:16 AM by nayon » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic