Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:04:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesMacarena of the Missing [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Macarena of the Missing [FINISHED]  (Read 87005 times)
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 01:25:59 AM »

Great game so far. I'm glad to have helped out with it!

I think the music is one of the best parts of the game for me. I particularly like the Lucasarts tunes (especially what I think is a really poorly done Full Throttle theme), the Cave Story tunes and the Rhythm Tengoku tune.

Also, I'm fairly stuck... you should probably make a walkthrough.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 08:22:31 AM »

@sergiocornaga: Glad to work with you. Your backgrounds turned out great! And it's good to see I'm not the only one who has the clapping girl music from Rhythm Tengoku permanently stuck in my head.

Thank you all for your feedback. I'm glad to see you're enjoying the writing, and that I didn't screw up the music too much with last minute cheap Yamaha keyboard action. Grin

And, d'oh. I may have unintentionally made it too difficult with red herrings, since most of my beta testers solved the puzzles in a shell of the game without any of the conversations or background objects. (And reetva never got back to me Lips Sealed) Err... has anyone beat the game? Found a key? Solved a puzzle?

Going to be offline until tonight, so in the meantime, here are some hints. I guess if no one's solved it in a few days, I need to take a good long look at my life... and submit a walkthrough to indiefaqs.  Embarrassed

General Hints:
Talk to everybody. You'll usually get an item for your trouble.
All items are used in puzzles. If it is in your inventory, it has a use.
Characters that you can talk to but don't give you items are directly involved in puzzles in some way.
Right click on everything that looks important to look at it. You might get a clue.
You probably won't have the items you need the first time you run into a puzzle.
You can double-click an arrow to fast travel.
You can get a save/load menu by pressing Escape. If you're stuck, try saving and coming back another time.

Specific Hints (semi-spoilers, mostly for where the puzzles are, in small text):

Rings:
You can talk to Speedy to get your rings back if you lost them.

Zombie:
I probably should have established that he's guarding the door in more than just the look dialogue. -.-;

Seamus:
She's looking for something. What equivalent does that something have in the Metroid series?

Peek:
Touching him just results in you getting shocked. How can you get around that?

Pitfall:
Requires a bit of spatial thinking and a bizarre combination of multiple game mechanics.

Elevator Action:
"I'm pretty sure I can't fix it" means this isn't a puzzle. Move along.

HikariOblivion
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:43 PM »

And, d'oh. I may have unintentionally made it too difficult with red herrings, since most of my beta testers solved the puzzles in a shell of the game without any of the conversations or background objects. (And reetva never got back to me Lips Sealed) Err... has anyone beat the game? Found a key? Solved a puzzle?

Beat it, yes. Yesterday in fact, and I'm pretty damned inept at adventure games. I had a little trouble, but eventually managed to make my way through. The puzzles were nicely logical, though if anything, I'd say getting the hammer is the one that stands out as most of a sticking point. I got it without trying, but that's because I'm weird and like to torture adventure game characters (Nice touch with adding  another "ever" every time you try again after)

But yes, I have to agree that, this is really funny, and the ending was just absolutely spectacular.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 01:18:52 AM »

Haha, wow, I've only gotten as far as the conversation with the zombie but I can already see that this is special! :D I'll come back to it later when I have more time. Loving it so far though!

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2008, 01:38:59 AM »

I'm downloading now. This is one of the biggest freeware games I've ever downloaded  Shocked They weren't kidding when they said dialogues took up most of the space on Oblivion's disk... Can't wait to play it!

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 02:28:00 AM »

Actually, I managed to beat it a while after asking that with no help. Personally, I found that the puzzles were massively illogical most of the time, but I still would say that on average they made at least as much sense as certain notorious ones from Monkey Island 2.

The main issue I had was actually that I didn't realise you could go down on the Moon screen, but that was in a way a good thing because if I'd known earlier I probably wouldn't have done all the excessive clicking and repetition of actions with slight variations which turned out to actually be the best way of progressing through the game.

Though, I was left wondering a few things. Firstly, there's only one ending, right? And also, there's a certain character on the game over screen whose name begins with M who I never encountered in the game. Does this character actually feature at all? Perhaps feature... secretly?
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 08:57:44 AM »

Beat it, yes. Yesterday in fact, and I'm pretty damned inept at adventure games. I had a little trouble, but eventually managed to make my way through. The puzzles were nicely logical, though if anything, I'd say getting the hammer is the one that stands out as most of a sticking point.

But yes, I have to agree that, this is really funny, and the ending was just absolutely spectacular.
Phew. Thanks!

The main issue I had was actually that I didn't realise you could go down on the Moon screen, but that was in a way a good thing because if I'd known earlier I probably wouldn't have done all the excessive clicking and repetition of actions with slight variations which turned out to actually be the best way of progressing through the game.

Though, I was left wondering a few things. Firstly, there's only one ending, right? And also, there's a certain character on the game over screen whose name begins with M who I never encountered in the game. Does this character actually feature at all? Perhaps feature... secretly?
Well, what better place for moon logic then? Wink There is a hint to that  ("It might take you a few tries to work up the nerve, but they always come back"), although I can see how easy it is to treat that as a joke.

Do the puzzles make sense at least in retrospect? You can PM me if you don't want to spoil anything here.

There is a hidden ending. Not sure how difficult to find because it has a certain prerequisite to activate, and requires a certain action in the endgame that's difficult to notice unless you're looking for it, and you might not even know to do if you've fulfilled the prerequisite.

And that "M" character shows up in the save/load screen, but not in the game proper.

FoxBlitzz
Level 0

Watch out! Bad Klik & Play graphics!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »

I completed the game. Really, quite a stellar production. Most of the puzzles seemed fairly logical to me, except for the use of the Rubber Duck (I randomly chose inventory items until I picked the Duck, which worked), and the Power Pellet (What, he says it's too big to swallow and yet he does just that to get past a certain area?). I had assumed I needed to use the hammer on the Power Pellet to break it down to make it easier to swallow. But it was still fun.

Gonna do my second playthrough. This is great stuff.

Edit: Okay, here's a question. ROT-13 to read it (because of possible spoilers).

Ubj gur urpx qb lbh trg gur tbbq raqvat? V fjrne vg'f va gurer, nf V purpxrq gur ibvpr svyrf naq nppvqragnyyl qvfpbirerq cneg bs gur pbairefngvba. V gevrq gb nibvq hfvat GnyxGbGurUnaq gb frr vs vg jbhyq or gevttrerq, ohg vg jnfa'g. Fb jurer vf vg?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:02:53 PM by FoxBlitzz » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »

I completed the game. Really, quite a stellar production. Most of the puzzles seemed fairly logical to me, except for the use of the Rubber Duck (I randomly chose inventory items until I picked the Duck, which worked), and the Power Pellet (What, he says it's too big to swallow and yet he does just that to get past a certain area?). I had assumed I needed to use the hammer on the Power Pellet to break it down to make it easier to swallow. But it was still fun.

Gonna do my second playthrough. This is great stuff.
Thanks!
As for the rubber duck, it's because rubber is nonconductive.
And he says the pellet is too large to swallow on a whim, which means he needs a good reason to do so.

Ubj gur urpx qb lbh trg gur tbbq raqvat? V fjrne vg'f va gurer, nf V purpxrq gur ibvpr svyrf naq nppvqragnyyl qvfpbirerq cneg bs gur pbairefngvba. V gevrq gb nibvq hfvat GnyxGbGurUnaq gb frr vs vg jbhyq or gevttrerq, ohg vg jnfa'g. Fb jurer vf vg?
Lrc, gur cerpbaqvgvba vf abg fxvccvat nal qvnybthr. Lbh fubhyq unir gur novyvgl gb vagreehcg gur svany punenpgre (nf va, npghnyyl pyvpxvat) n tbbq jnlf vagb gur qvnybthr.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2008, 04:03:14 PM »

Finished it! Managed both endings thanks to the hints (I didn't actually realise that you *could* skip the dialogue Shocked ) - the pit puzzle in particular had me stumped for a while though...

This is fantastic Smiley You've totally got my vote! Beer!

cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:10 PM »

haha, the pit puzzle was such a smack in the head when I realized what I was suppose to do Tongue.

So I don't think skipped any dialog which is the precondition for the special ending right? (How do you skip dialog anyways?) And then they sung a song in the ending. Is this the special ending? If so I want to see the regular one >__> damn.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 04:35:36 AM »

I'm stuck. I got two of the keys by myself which I'm pretty damn proud of since normally I suck at adventure games. Can you give me a hint of what to do with Samus after I've 'created' Mother Brain?

Oh, and the dialogue is awesome. I figured it would be sort of indie-cheesy, but you really are a very good voice actor. I can't wait to see your version of the ending song.

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 08:54:20 AM »

Hey, this is pretty slick.  Works in Wine after I resampled all the 96KHz oggs to 44.1KHz (the 96ers would crash Wine).  I'm going to play this one through later.  Very nice voice work.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:26:38 PM by shrapnel » Logged

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 01:36:02 PM »

I'm massively enjoying this game, but desperate for a spoiler:

haha, the pit puzzle was such a smack in the head when I realized what I was suppose to do Tongue.

This is the smack in the head that I need I think. All I have is the duck, and the pit and Samus's room to think about.
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »

here's a hint for people stuck on the Saums room.

Assuming you already did the first part of that puzzle.

you need an item you get from the teeth....
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »

here's a hint for people stuck on the Saums room.

Assuming you already did the first part of that puzzle.

you need an item you get from the teeth....

Yay my hero!
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2008, 03:21:24 PM »

I just finally eventually actually realized that your odd title was a brilliant variation upon "Limbo of the lost". And I have to admit that the idea of rippin' some old NES stuff is as much brilliant !!!

Ahahah, Macarena of the Missing, ahahah  Beer!

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2008, 05:22:17 AM »

"THE END"

Awesome game! Vote++!  Kiss

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2008, 07:00:17 AM »

This definitely gets one of my votes. It's one of the only demakes I've played so far that I can say without a doubt is better than the original. I still haven't gotten the other ending though. I interrupted everyone I could interrupt, but the endgame didn't seem any different.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »

I played it just a bit, and I love it. I laughed  a lot with Dick Fallout, and the Pac-Man and Mario rip-offs, whose names I can't remember.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic