Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:45:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesMacarena of the Missing [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Macarena of the Missing [FINISHED]  (Read 87000 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »

Thank you all very much! You've made me so happy. Grin

I still haven't gotten the other ending though. I interrupted everyone I could interrupt, but the endgame didn't seem any different.

The hidden ending involves not interrupting anyone while collecting keys, then performing a certain action in the final room which is randomly deactivated if you had interrupted someone. I know, I know, it's fairly arbitrary, only hinted thematically in the game itself, and only justified *after* you've done it. I posted a full spoiler of it earlier in the thread in ROT13 if you're still stumped.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2008, 12:11:42 AM »

Ah, shit, now I'm going to have to play through the whole thing again without interrupting  Lips Sealed Lucky for me it doesn't freeze when it loses window focus  :D

Arctor
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »

I love your game, but I'm stuck. I only have the red key left, but beyond those I am stumped

Right now I have the hammer, rings, and duck.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 05:52:48 PM »

I love your game, but I'm stuck. I only have the red key left, but beyond those I am stumped

Thanks. :D

The last obstacle in your way is the pit. You have what you need, although figuring out what to do may take a little spatial reasoning and the obligatory bastardization of one or more classic game mechanics.

Moosader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2008, 07:19:09 PM »

I've probably had the most fun playing this game.  I was hooked as soon as I saw Manny in the prison cell. Tongue
The voice acting is awesome, too.
Hope you do really well in the compo. :3

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2008, 03:39:34 PM »

I finally got back to this and finished it with both endings.  The King and Tranny are my favorite characters.  I love it when the King rattles off the ways he's been killed.  Makes me realize how much "death" content I left on the table when I played those games.

I think my favorite moment was the sequence leading up to the hammer and nails.  Grin

Excellent job.  Gentleman

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »

The last obstacle in your way is the pit. You have what you need, although figuring out what to do may take a little spatial reasoning and the obligatory bastardization of one or more classic game mechanics.

I'm stuck on that part too. I could swear I've tried every possible combination of items, but to no avail. Another hint maybe?
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2008, 09:39:40 AM »

I'm stuck on that part too. I could swear I've tried every possible combination of items, but to no avail. Another hint maybe?

BIG HINT!

Think about where that pipe comes from.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »

BIG HINT!

Think about where that pipe comes from.

I did, but I don't know what to do with that either Sad

God I hate it when games make me feel stupid.

EDIT: Okay, I finally got it. But whoever calls that puzzle logical must live in a parallel dimension where, uh, this puzzle is logical! :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:56:37 AM by muku » Logged
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »

EDIT: Okay, I finally got it. But whoever calls that puzzle logical must live in a parallel dimension where, uh, this puzzle is logical! :D

It's logical from the POV of an adventure game player.  Adventure game player logic is just outside the realm of normal logic.  It's something like:

{I} is the item effect triggered by player effect {P}
Actions from the set {S} trigger {P}, and therefore trigger {I}
Each action in {S} also has a location {L}
At which {L} might effect {I} cause some sort of undetermined effect {X}?

And then, most of the time, it takes a couple of tries before you figure out at which location you should be triggering the effect.

That puzzle took me 3 tries, I think.  The first time I triggered the item effect, I didn't even see it, so I spent a bunch of time going back and talking to everyone again.  I think it took me two more tries before I figured out the location, and even then it didn't do exactly what I expected.

Great moments in adventure games!

(I never figured out how to use the hairbrush in KQ6; had to look that up)

EDIT: I give up!  How the hell do you turn off tag interpretation?  [nocode] appears to be a [noop].
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:43:17 PM by shrapnel » Logged

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »

It's logical from the POV of an adventure game player.  Adventure game player logic is just outside the realm of normal logic.

Heh. Yeah, I guess. I loved (and still love) the classic LucasArts adventures (who doesn't), but I guess I never was too good at them. Rare is the game I finished without consulting a walkthrough every once in a while.

But back to this game here. Even if I found the puzzles not too appealing, the writing and voice acting was hilarious enough to keep me motivated to finish it anyway. So, good job, I liked it a lot; this has some truly classic lines. I think Puck and that green soup freak (should I get what game he is from?) were among my favorite characters. Plus, Monkey Island theme Kiss

Also, can anyone tell me what game The King was a reference to? I mean, the Elvis connection was obvious, but what about all that dying?
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2008, 03:46:40 PM »

Also, can anyone tell me what game The King was a reference to? I mean, the Elvis connection was obvious, but what about all that dying?

King's Quest!  Grin

The typical setting for the KQ games was the kingdom of Daventry.  I'd never thought of the name "Dave" embedded in there--Noyb did a nice job on the pun, there.

The King's bit about drowning made me laugh out loud.  By far my favorite character.  I drowned more times than I can count in those games.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »

Puck is a masterpiece.  Shocked

PaleFox
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2008, 02:55:11 PM »

I think we need a copy of
the music from the ending
in order to preserve it for posterity Smiley
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »

If somebody doesn't explicitly tell me how to get past the pit soon, I will kill a puppy.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »

If somebody doesn't explicitly tell me how to get past the pit soon, I will kill a puppy.
You have to do a sacrifice.
Think about your items.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2008, 04:25:42 PM »

Just adding a blank post so the next one will have a white background...  Cool

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »

Ok, I'm just going to spoil it. Progressively less vague hints follow (highlight to view)...

The pipe is the important element in solving this puzzle. Think about where it leads.

What happens when you take damage?

The grue can inflict damage if you walk into it without the torch.

If you take damage over the drainpipe while holding the rings, you'll drop them down the pipe.

You should be able to do the rest from there!

FoxBlitzz
Level 0

Watch out! Bad Klik & Play graphics!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2008, 06:34:08 PM »

Okay, yet another question (in ROT-13 form once again due to spoilers):

Vs Znpneran naq vgf erfvqragf ner nyy snxr perngvbaf bs Fngna qhr gb gurz univat gur fnzr ibvpr, gura fubhyqa'g Fngna grpuavpnyyl nyfb abg rkvfg? Orpnhfr, lbh xabj, lbh pynvz gb unir qbar gur ibvpr-npgvat sbe rirel punenpgre.

And I found that 49.ogg was missing. So I listened to the surrounding voice-clips and... XD

Good job.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:50:37 PM by FoxBlitzz » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »

You're all too kind. Gentleman

that green soup freak (should I get what game he is from?
He's a bizarre combination of the unfortunately named Cranny Faggot from Limbo of the Lost, Kirby in a chef's hat, Ol' Greg from Mighty Boosh, and a random Scottish accent.

Vs Znpneran naq vgf erfvqragf ner nyy snxr perngvbaf bs Fngna qhr gb gurz univat gur fnzr ibvpr, gura fubhyqa'g Fngna grpuavpnyyl nyfb abg rkvfg? Orpnhfr, lbh xabj, lbh pynvz gb unir qbar gur ibvpr-npgvat sbe rirel punenpgre.

And I found that 49.ogg was missing. So I listened to the surrounding voice-clips and... XD
V yrsg gur vagrecergngvba n ovg inthr, fb ernq nf zhpu nf lbh jnag vagb Qvnoyb'f pbzzrag bs "Abg rknpgyl, ohg cerggl qnza pybfr." Naq qba'g sbetrg Aryfba funerf gur fnzr ibvpr, gbb, vs lbh jnag gb ivrj gung raqvat nf n cflpubybtvpny gbegher.

The 49th one missing was an accident in naming, but that is a great place for a gap. :D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic