Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:46:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl - Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl - Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress  (Read 104984 times)
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:22:56 AM »

Stats

The dwarf is heavy and tough as nails. His attacks are powerful, but slow. He is not a very mobile character, and many of his attacks are stronger on the ground than in the air.

Sprites

Portrait - Rostiger, Yigguth
Idle - Too many to mention
Walking-
Jumping-
Hurt-
Throwing-
Hammer Pound-
Shield Charge-
Axe Slash (aimed upwards)-
Mining Pick-
Body Slam-
Wrestling-
Crossbow-
Spike Trap-
Catapult-

Move List

A- Wrestling- Edges forward a very short distance while reaching out with his hands. If he connects with an enemy, he will grab them, leap into the air, and slam them back into the ground. Unblockable.

>A- Hammer and Anvil- Pounds the enemy with a hammer. A very slow, but very powerful attack.

^A- Axe Slash- A powerful spinning axe attack.

vA- Mining Pick- An attack with a pick. If it hits the ground, a chunk of ore flies off in a random arc.

vA (air)- Body Slam- The dwarf plummets to the ground, dealing heavy damage to any enemy he contacts.

S- Crossbow- Fire a single, fast missile straight ahead. It can penetrate multiple enemies. Can only be used on the ground.

>S- Shield Charge- The dwarf runs forward with his shield in front of him for a set distance, plowing down those he contacts. While charging, he can reflect projectiles.

^S- Ballista- A ballista appears beneath the Dwarf and flings him into the air. The dwarf damages all he contacts, but can't control his movement until he lands.

vS- Spike Trap- The dwarf sets a trap on the ground. If an enemy touches it, he takes heavy damage. The trap is discharged after it hits, and if the dwarf creates another trap, the old one is replaced.

Original Move List:
Normal Attacks

A - Face Punch - He punches your face for mid damage. Low cooldown, simple attack, mainly for countering enemy specials.

>A - Side Haymaker - Dwarf lunges forward until he(she? Dwarfs have massive beards, it's a bit uncertain.) hits an enemy or has travelled 64 pixels(this number subject to change). If used in air, will lunge diagonally downwards until it hits the ground or an enemy. High cooldown, mid damage, used to launch enemies.

^A - Dwarf Dragon Punch - High cooldown, high damage. Like Side Haymaker, but straight up and more damage.  Used to attack enemies above you, could be used in mindgames invovling jumps to dodge specials ("if I jump to dodge that special I think he's going to pull, and he DDP's me instead, I'm going to be punched in the face.")

Also, it is a Dwarf Dragon Punching. Come on. That it worth it by itself.

vA (ground)- Low Boot - Kick to the nads. Like Face Punch but launched enemies straight up a little bit instead of to the side.

vA(air) - Boot Dive - High speed, Lunges straight downwards until it hits something. Low damage.

Special Attacks

Note that all Dwarf special attacks have a short startup wait time of a 1-2 frames during which he(she?) pulls the item out of his(her?) beard (you could just have some frame of a dwarf with his hand in his beard and use that for all of them)

S - Crossbow - Dwarf fires a single, fast missile straight ahead. Mid cooldown, mid damage. Used to keep pressure onto ranged enemies, and punish failed ranged enemy specials.

>S - Axe Slash - Dwarf uses an Axe to attack enemies in front of him for high damage. Hitbox should be large . Mid cooldown. Used to counter blocking and hit enemies who can just failed to attack you or are under cooldown.

^S - Barrel Toss - Dwarf throws a barrel that rolls across the ground. Any enemies it hits are tossed into air with high damage. Any projectiles (including crossbow) reflect the barrel and destroy the projectile. Cannot be used in air. Used to pressurise ranged attackers.

vS - Mining Pick - Dwarf hits ground with pick, producing a large rock that travels in an arc. The rock is destroyed when it hits the ground. Anyone that hits the rock takes mid damage, any projectiles that hit the rock are reflected. Cooldown is very high. Cannot be used in air. Used to defend against ranged attacks and to stop people chasing you.

The Dwarfs strengths are in close combat, and in forcing enemies into close combat. His specials can be used to lockdown a mainly ranged enemy, as although Dwarf can't really deal damage that well over a range, he can stop the enemy dealing damage to him, and a good Dwarf player should be able to force the enemy to fight on his(her?) terms.

Thoughts? Anything at all anyone is unclear about? I can make diagrams if you want.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:48:49 AM by Rostiger » Logged
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »

If you're not going to give him a double jump, I would recommend cranking his jump or his weight up. No double jump is a serious crutch, really.

Maybe you could make his up special really effective? That might help.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

If you're not going to give him a double jump, I would recommend cranking his jump or his weight up. No double jump is a serious crutch, really.

That depends on how the game is going to play. We have no idea if it's a serious crutch or not, at least yet. This is a nice general outline that can be subject to tweaking later on.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »

Jumping should be just as important as it is in SSB. Obviously, it will be needed as a recovery move if knocked off the arena. It may also be necessary to navigate a stage. If stage designers have to account for characters that can barely leave the ground, that will severely limit creativity.

Unless immobility is central to the character's design, most should be able to double jump, in addition to having an attack that moves them slightly upwards.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »

No doublejump is a pretty radical feature. In SSB, even the super heavyweights like Bowser and Ganondorf get two jumps and an upB. I wouldn't take away the double-jump unless it really fit the character, in terms of both gameplay and authenticity. I don't really see that for the Dwarf. Sure, they don't do much jumping but that's because they're in a roguelike.

Other than that, though, I like it. However, you'll need to be careful with those specials. Despite being a close-combat character, the Dwarf has three different projectiles. I like the idea of using projectiles to punish/lockdown other range attackers, but if it's done wrong you'll just turn him into a range attacker of his own. Make his projectiles low damage so he won't be tempted to use them as his main offensive force.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 07:50:03 PM »

Actually I sort of like the idea of a single-jumping character. But it could be an awesome-powerful jump that makes up for the distance not had by a double-jump. I mean, come on, their legs may be short but they're packed, just packed with those huge dwarven muscles. Also, maybe springs or another dwarven contraption could pop out. I do think a recovery move would be nice though. Maybe if he uses the pickaxe in midair he twirls it around for a little helicopter effect to gain some height?

Also, totally randomize the rocks that pop out by vS. Denser ore won't fly as far but will do heavy damage.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:55:01 PM »

You know, you may be onto something bigger there, Xion. Why not add a random element to most or all of the Dwarf's attacks, in the true style of a roguelike? Some might complain that this is cheap, but it works alright in SSB with characters like Peach and Game&Watch.

Hmm. Perhaps not ALL attacks, but some. You could have several different types of ore for the mining attack, and several different weapons to be produced when he uses his Axe Slash (S>). Strongest one is and axe, then a hammer, then a pick. This would be functionally identical to Peach's side smash.

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 06:59:12 AM »

Honestly it seems fine. His a-up, a-side combo sounds like an amazing recovery to me.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 07:13:31 AM »

At least as described, his ^A and >A attacks are mediocre recovery.

The problem with having a very powerful single jump at the expense of a double jump is the loss of control. With a double jump, a player has very precise control over how high or far he wants to go. With a single jump only, making short little hops would be impossible.

It would also make recovery much more difficult.

Frankly, unless it's absolutely central to a character's concept (which may be the case with Sexy Hiker), all characters should be able to double jump. I see no reason to give the player less control.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »

I think one or two very DF-specific attacks would be cool.  Like maybe "Kitten Ball" where he throws a ball of kittens!  Or perhaps an attack that does big damage to the other player but also does some damage to the dwarf.  That'd be an interesting mechanic that would also fit the character.

Death and kittens are such big parts of the DF universe, you see. Gentleman
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 12:33:57 PM »

Instead of normal damage, or percent hit points like SSB, or anything else, you could use the DF damage tracking! Just list "Organs" and "Appendages" at his health, and slowly turn them brown, yellow, and then red as he gets hit.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 08:55:45 AM »

I don't think that's a good idea. A different method of tracking damage doesn't really add much to the gameplay. It would, however, be very confusing for a new player who expects to see a health bar and instead sees a complicated chart of brown, yellow and red. Plus, with a fast-paced fighting game, it's important that you can read the HUD with a glance.

Corpus
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »

I think there should be a kitten sitting draped over his head at all times, with its legs dangling down on the sides, and when he runs it should bounce up and down.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »

We could make Arne's Cat-veil illustration into a character:

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Seth
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »

maybe he should just have a pet cat follow him around all the time, like in the game.  I dunno, go any farther and it seems kinda hokey to me
godsavant
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »

*first*  Beer!

Dunno if I got clothing colors right, I've never played Dwarf Fortress. I got his design from this screen:

Also, I had some trouble keeping space b/w his legs while still maintaining a thick outline, but it's a start, I guess.

And if anyone inquires about why his head is so big compared to other characters, it's b/c you need a big beard if you want to pull stuff out of it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:57:34 PM by godsavant » Logged
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »

Very good! I would change the clothing theme to light blue, though. That's what new peasant dwarves in DF are colored. Really quite good, though, and it goes along well with the other character sprites we have so far!

One more problem. The expression on his face is perplexed. Dwarf Fortress dwarves fear nothing, and will dive into battle bare-fisted just to deliver divine justice or die in a horrible mess trying.

In other words: not gritty enough.
godsavant
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 08:23:12 PM »

Grrr!! Dwarf is angry that you made him change into more appropriate clothes!

This better?
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »

Much. Significantly, actually. I think that would make a good in-game sprite. Nice work! Beer!
Corpus
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 07:12:31 AM »

Looks good, godsavant, but there are a few things I would point out, stylistically. Most other character sprites' eyes have been 2x3. They haven't used dithering, but have rather used a more cel-shaded, cartoony kind of look, with fairly bold contrasts between shades. Also, their outlines have been a more-or-less constant 2px wide.

It might also be worthwhile to change the sleeves to white, or a very light blue, so that there is more contrast in his clothing.

Nonetheless, it's a good start, and his stance looks pretty nice Beer!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic