Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:30:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMetagolf - www.metagolf.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Metagolf - www.metagolf.net  (Read 10005 times)
Armitage1982
Level 0

Press any key to continue...

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »

Consider it done ! Beer!

Of course, thanks for trying it !

First, a few video links :

Metagolf is a 2D game mixing platformer with Mini-Golf physics elements.

The idea is to score a golf ball of you color in a minimum number of par.
On regular games, goals can be holes or floating targets.
There is no penalties if you drag the golf ball with your feet, do headbutt or the moonwalk over it.

Approaching a golf ball will turn his color to the one of your team.
You can play alone or up to four in split screens mode.

Some levels will require you to solve puzzles, some others focus on timing and precision.

There is currently more than 40 objects to play with like conveyor belt, water, wind, chain, spikes, jumper, bumper, gravitational field, moving blocs, etc.

A few creatures also influence the course of the game like fishes pushing ball in or out of the water, birds doing the same in sky, snails reseting the color of the golf ball, rabbit that simply eat it.

Everything comes with a built-in level editor, game modes and options.

What's done :
  • The Meta-Engine like I call it Smiley - Not yet clean and optimized but already fast, stable and reliable.
  • A very stable and playable version of the game.
  • The WYSIWYG built-in Level Editor - Ressources editor, objects inspector, particles editor, tilemaps/layers/polygoal editor, physics modifications, skins support, customize audio, debug tools, real-time sandbox.
  • The ability of sharing Level easily - Most levels are only a few Ko in size and can be dropped in the map folder and played instantly.
  • Most basic game objects to throw at the built-in level editor and create elaborate courses.
  • Localisation - English and French version are up to date.
  • Single and Multiplayer mode with xbox 360 Controller support - Nearly as easy as keyboard + Mouse.
  • Basic artificial intelligence - Creatures with finite State Machine.
  • 18 Courses and 12 Arenas available.
  • 22 Quality soundtracks.
  • 7 types of Golf ball – (Normal, Bouncy, Sticky, Death, Cubic, Rugby, Hedgehog) to setup special rules for each new games.

What could be added :
  • Maybe More game modes- I'd like to hear suggestions through I have some ideas.
  • Update documentation for the level editor - Even if it's pretty much straightforward.
  • Maybe a few graphics/sounds revamp and improvements.
  • A few more free levels for Christmas or something like that Smiley

Thanks for reading this DevLog Wink

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:42:19 PM by Armitage1982 » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:53 PM »

hey dude, I saw this a couple of weeks back, looking good!  I think some of the tiles need some revamping, but other than that, the vids look great, and I want to play it. Smiley

Fark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:06:01 AM »

Pretty and colorful styles and actu.. hey, is that a "Jump'n'Bump"-rabbit?  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

http://www.farkaudio.no - SFX&Music for beautiful geeks

Current projects:
-Sound Design: "Secrets of Grindea"
http://hallvard.tumblr.com/post/15824407746/secretsofgrindea
Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:21:52 AM »

hey dude, I saw this a couple of weeks back, looking good!  I think some of the tiles need some revamping, but other than that, the vids look great, and I want to play it. Smiley

Thanks dude ! :D

I was visiting your website a few days ago. Actually, I am following you on twitter too.
There is some nice procedurally generated stuff in there. I will download Fugu and give it a go soon. I like this kind of demoish tools.

Like you, I think a few tiles and animations need a bit of polish. This is the next thing planned after the public beta.
Currently I concentrate myself on the level design.

By the way, totally unrelated but I was in Melbourne last year (call me a Queenslander Fruit picker mate Wink ). Pretty damn city in a pretty awesome country. I wish to go back there one day. But right now I'm "struggling" in Belgium Lips Sealed

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »

Pretty and colorful styles and actu.. hey, is that a "Jump'n'Bump"-rabbit?  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

I remember about that DOS freeware game. I really enjoy it back in the day !
Now that you say it, I take a look at a few old screenshots and it's true. Let's call them second cousins Grin

Of course many games inspire me like Mario, Sonic and probably half of the 80's-90's games look'n'feel. Wish to bring back these little gems. I try something colorful and pixelated for the first time. I will try more ambitious theme on next title if this one is working Smiley

Fark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:06:02 AM »

Yeah, I guess everything is kinda related one way or another if you look close enough, right?
And it's not a bad thing at all No No NO no no

Anyways, I looked at the gameplay videos on youtube, and I am even more intrigued, this totally looks like a game me and my friends would love to play sitting in the couch in the weekends Toast Right before heading out, you know?

(too bad the music is already set, as I would love to soundtrack/sound design this one, though Shrug butwhaddayagonnado'eh?

Current projects:
Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:30:17 AM »

Yeah, I guess everything is kinda related one way or another if you look close enough, right?
And it's not a bad thing at all No No NO no no

Anyways, I looked at the gameplay videos on youtube, and I am even more intrigued, this totally looks like a game me and my friends would love to play sitting in the couch in the weekends Toast Right before heading out, you know?

(too bad the music is already set, as I would love to soundtrack/sound design this one, though Shrug butwhaddayagonnado'eh?

Yes of course, I do not hide my inspirations because the only way of doing something fresh today is to mix ideas, gender and put a bit of luv-in Well, hello there!

This is totally more fun at 2, 3 or 4 players and actually it was modeled on the principe of old split screen games : the best way for having fun with a game IMO.

Hey !
I listen to your musics right now. It's like if I was on Amiga 2012  Shocked So great !!
Your style would perfectly match this one... Actually sound design and music is the area in which I feel the less comfortable with.
I'm tempted to ask you if you are currently on production?

Fark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 03:07:02 AM »

Thanks man! "Amiga 2012" wow.. I think finally know how to describe my music to others now!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Metal Right
The Amiga has absolutely been an inspiration for my style  Well, hello there!

Yeah, a good old couched splitscreening is always great fun.
Nowadays we play "Raskullz" on XBLA. ever played it?
In some way, in terms of the hectic racing element and colorful graphics, these two games could be somewhat related.
Again, that's a good thing  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Like my sig. says, I'm currently hired as a sound designer for a game,
but my schedule does definitely allow such a composer job  Well, hello there!
i do have to put food  Hand Fork Left on the table after all, right?  Roll Eyes Hand Point Right Hand Money Right

So give it a bit of thought, and give me a heads up if you would like some "Amiga'12" on that game of yours Wink

(and thanks for hooking up on my Twitter and 'tube, man  Gentleman )

Current projects:
screwtape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:50 AM »

This looks really pretty and polished, I'm looking forward to a public beta.
I'm assuming its going to be for PC? Any plans for XBLA or similar?
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 03:19:05 AM »

Just checked out the gameplay video and have to say it's looking great. Love the idea of a platformer golf game. Seems to be implemented and work really well, nice job  Smiley

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 03:22:11 AM »

This looks really pretty and polished, I'm looking forward to a public beta.
I'm assuming its going to be for PC? Any plans for XBLA or similar?

It's already crossing Windows / Mac Os / Linux and although I wish to support more platforms in the future, the plan is to stick to those 3 at first. I need a bit more knowledges and material for supporting others gaming platforms and I already badly crush my piggy bank for supporting Mac Os so I will have to wait a bit Smiley

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:27:37 AM »

Just checked out the gameplay video and have to say it's looking great. Love the idea of a platformer golf game. Seems to be implemented and work really well, nice job  Smiley

Thanks.
I really hope to include the public in the process to smooth things out Smiley
About the look it's always possible to fully skin each level out of the box without scripting stuff.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »

I've been keeping an eye on this over at the Blitz forums. You must have been working on it for 2-3 years by now. I admire your dedication. I think the multiplayer is what interests me the most. I'm imagining some anarchic gameplay resulting from four players running around the physics-y courses.

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:58:18 AM »

I've been keeping an eye on this over at the Blitz forums.
Hello David Smiley

Nice to see you there !
Quote from: Oddball
You must have been working on it for 2-3 years by now. I admire your dedication.
You right : Minus 1 year were I was abroad this is nearly that. It started as a spare time project and now it's a daily mission :D

Quote from: Oddball
I think the multiplayer is what interests me the most. I'm imagining some anarchic gameplay resulting from four players running around the physics-y courses.
In multiplayer it's definitely a battle to death ! Hand JoystickEvil:handanykey:
Sometimes emergent gameplay appears like temporary alliance to smoothly pass a puzzle phase, traps plot, using player body as a stepping-stone, ricochet, ...

Creatures also create their own emergent simple behavior. Example of scenario: a fish push the Golf Ball out of the water then a bird catch it and fly away with it for a few seconds.

Do you know that you are credited in the game because actually I'm using one of your library (odd2D.mod - so yummy !). Big Thanks of course Smiley

kz012
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »

Just checked out some of the gameplay footage and this looks really cool! Definitely going to be following this.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »

I look forward to the public beta then. I am always on the look out for new party games to play on games night.

Do you know that you are credited in the game because actually I'm using one of your library (odd2D.mod - so yummy !). Big Thanks of course Smiley
I hope it's behaving for you then. Glad I could help in some small way. Beer!

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »

The music/sfx in the HD trailer sounded really good.  Who did it?

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »

By the way, totally unrelated but I was in Melbourne last year (call me a Queenslander Fruit picker mate Wink ). Pretty damn city in a pretty awesome country. I wish to go back there one day. But right now I'm "struggling" in Belgium Lips Sealed

Ha, fruit picker! Nice way to spend a holiday. Tongue

Yeh Melbourne's alright, I want to go to Belgium though ... let's swap houses!

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »

The music/sfx in the HD trailer sounded really good.  Who did it?

I did the SFX myself and the musics is made by a Collectif called Undertones. Twenty soundtracks will be available at release normally Grin Music is the only thing I didn't end up making myself in fact.
Ha, fruit picker! Nice way to spend a holiday. Tongue

Yeh Melbourne's alright, I want to go to Belgium though ... let's swap houses!

9 months of work the rest is flawless memories Grin
Man if I could I would swap immediately ! Just need a house WTF

Fark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »

Good luck with this one man! I want to kick my friends asses with this!   Bro Fist LeftNinja Hand Metal Right
oh, BTW thats one sexy portfolio you got  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:30:08 AM by Fark » Logged

Current projects:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic