Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:55:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMetagolf - www.metagolf.net
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Metagolf - www.metagolf.net  (Read 10032 times)
Armitage1982
Level 0

Press any key to continue...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »

Hi again Smiley

I add a few things to Metagolf lately so I tough it would be nice to update this devlog a bit.

The most noticeable new features is the abilities to draw curvy or polygonal grounds like you can see here:

I also improve a few other things and prepare Metagolf for his first Public Beta.
I am aiming March if everything goes right Grin

• Polygon Edges Border - Inside and outside.
  • Improved Interpolation system for smooth rendering.
  • Camera can be smoothly zoomed and moved.
  • Now using Freeimage to support more image format.
  • Particles can now be drawn over a mask for good shiny effect.
  • Player can now pass under some platform while using down key twice.
  • Speed improvement to the Meta-Engine.
  • Upload a paper template to easily create new level in the Editor.
  • Update Level Editor Documentation.

Thanks for reading this DevLog Wink

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »

Oh wow, curves, thats awesome dude! I awesome the physics just acts on a linear approximation? Smiley

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »

It's a dynamic rigid body system so the edge of that ground objects actually is only having one side, allowing me to draw concave or convex forms with tessellation (except for the textured polygon rendering of course).

I fake a lot of things like one way platforms (by activating and deactivating contact point resolution), buoyancy forces (by adding upward force to a grid of submerged points), etc.
All of this already existing in the recent box2d library but It was a bit too late to use that more featured version.

I wish to learn a bit more Eularian math for doing real fluid simulation on next projects Addicted

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »

Look's like a Public Beta version is available at http://www.metagolf.net/ Grin

I also offer for a limited period of time Full Registered License at very discounted price (Pay What You Want with a minimum of 3$). The price will probably rise before the release date so grab it now while it's cheap  Durr...?

Of course, thanks for trying it !

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »

Aw man, I'm so busy atm, but I'll try this as soon as i can!

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 04:45:11 AM »

Aw man, I'm so busy atm, but I'll try this as soon as i can!

No worries Smiley
We have all the time to make it better. I still have enough money to pay the website for at least another full month Big Laff

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »

Managed to squeeze in a quick play while at work. Who, Me? I'm really impressed, it looks and sounds great. I'm looking forward to having an hour or so to really play through.

It really feels like an early 90's game in its design, whether this was intentional or not I don't know, but for me it makes it really stand out. Most of the games we see on tigforums arguably have the retro aesthetic, but they are typically of the nintendo-kind rather than the amiga-kind.

One thing I noticed (in the tutorial level at least) is that the English is a bit funny. I personally like it as it gives the game a European twist, but you might want to get it translated. Smiley

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments Smiley

I must admit, my English is a bit basic sometimes  Huh?
Another reasons why I think it's still a beta.

Indeed !
I have put a few references from good old games. I'm also very inspired by Amiga, C64 and Dos Sharewares games.
In this particular case, I try to recreate the fun you can have while playing with friends around one computer (not to mention the solo players "campaign" with unlockable levels I'm creating right now Grin).

I still need to improve the graphic a little more, add a few more animations, sound and particles too but it will definitely be one of those games where you can combine settings to create emergent gameplay.

One of my deepest dream would mix modern Technic (like physics simulation, fluid simulation, procedural generated content, etc.) with that specific feelings you had when playing a games from the Amiga Era. Not necessarily switching to a very retro look but reaching that depth of play. That feeling will be even more perceptible if I'm considering mixing different type of game.

I will probably need a bit more time and funds before starting such project but you can be sure it's the direction I want to take.

One funny fact is that I'm using a modern programming language originally created for the Amiga Platform :D

I'm pleased you like the game even in his current state Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »

> One of my deepest dream would mix modern Technic (like physics simulation, fluid simulation, procedural generated content, etc.) with that specific feelings you had when playing a games from the Amiga Era.

Yeh, that would be very cool. There are a lot of cool Amiga/Dos games that I'd like to see modernised (in the mechanics sense), such as Shadow of the Beast, that steel ball rugby game, Xenon, and even Lemmings ..

> One funny fact is that I'm using a modern programming language originally created for the Amiga Platform :D

Which is? :D

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »

BlitzMax Durr...?
Back in the day it was Blitz Basic an Australian published language under Amiga (now it's a kiwi language Big Laff).
I would have loved to learn dev. from that point Smiley

steel ball rugby game
You mean Speedball ? :D That game was so great !

There is so much good ideas in shareware titles that I'm very surprised there isn't that much specific successful revival/revamp. A lot to learn from those dudes too !
I never really match that feeling in modern games, even if there is some great new stuff on the indie scene.

Hey by the way... Thanks a lot for your donation, it's more than appreciated !! Wink
Expect a tiny update in a few days. I try to add a few users suggestions to make it better. Don't hesitate to give me yours if you have a cool ideas, I can always try to add them if possible.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »

Yeh, Speedball, that's it.. had a blast playing that ...

> There is so much good ideas in shareware titles that I'm very surprised there isn't that much specific successful revival/revamp. A lot to learn from those dudes too !

Yeh true, it's weird how 'indie' now seems different from the shareware/public domain dudes of 15-20 years ago ... maybe it's just the internet, IGF, etc ...

> Hey by the way... Thanks a lot for your donation, it's more than appreciated !!

No worries! I just hope you get enough in the end to make the years of work pay off. Smiley

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 04:35:03 AM »

Yeh true, it's weird how 'indie' now seems different from the shareware/public domain dudes of 15-20 years ago ... maybe it's just the internet, IGF, etc ...
Thinking the same here. It's not just a question of style and look.
The influences and freedom of the 80's has much to do with that too.

No worries! I just hope you get enough in the end to make the years of work pay off. Smiley
I hope too, it will only give a better game at the end I think. But I have all the time in the world to make it better if not Grin
By the way, time to go back to work Coffee

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »

Hey, I realised it was mac compatible, so I downloaded it onto my my home machine and played for about half an hour last night. I played through all but the last 2 levels. I really liked the first few levels, the chaos of "fish and chips" (all those fish bouncing on the springs!), and "dominos" was pretty clever. There were a few instances where I would hit the ball and it would land exactly on a spring that sent it back towards me ... these were great and really show tat you've spent time playing and designing the levels. Smiley

I didn't really like the bigger levels, but maybe in multiplayer they work well?

I liked the alternating long and short levels, they mixed up the action.

I liked the porcupine/echidna ball, very clever to mix up the style of golf ball you have.

Also at one stage a snail got my ball and took it into a little tunnel that I couldn't get too. I had to reload the level. Was there a command for retrieving your ball?

Finally: will there be gamepad support?  Hand Joystick

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »

Hi Eigenborn,

Thanks for your feedback !
It's great to get that kind of review and help me a lot. Gentleman

Will there be gamepad support?
Metagolf is already compatible with xBox 360 Controller, even on Mac since I included the Tattiebogle Mac OS X driver option, other analogic joystick should work too.

Theoretically, gamepad controller are also supported through it is harder to control the shooting cursor (but not impossible Smiley ). You should find the control options inside the keys buttons under each player selection. Select Joystick or even keyboard. I do not have a mac joypad to test yet.

I didn't really like the bigger levels, but maybe in multiplayer they work well?
Metagolf gets really hectic when playing in multiplayer, particularly with xBox Controller (no, it's not a microsoft ads lol). But as you well observed, you need bigger level for multiplayer.
Currently I must admit it's a bit messy, single tailored levels are mixed with more oriented multiplayer one. But I'm glad to tell you that I've just created 2 new objects to organize and create pack of courses. I call them "campaign" for the moment. Next update will include these 2 new objects as well as a few interface simplifications.

I'd like to create a bunch of levels available out of the box with all the options available + a first single player oriented (but never restricted) campaign where you can unlock levels and have a progression. You will be able to download new campaigns and simply put them under the maps folder. Each campaign, like any other courses, can have is own skin/audio mods.

Note also that most of the currently available levels are pretty old and probably won't make it to the final release. Now that most game objects are available, I can focus on a more intelligent level design.

I liked the porcupine/echidna ball, very clever to mix up the style of golf ball you have.
I also add a Rugby Ball and a Cubic Ball in the Full Version and I will certainly add a few more when everything reach the Final version Grin They can definitely change an easy level into a nightmare puzzle :D

Also at one stage a snail got my ball and took it into a little tunnel that I couldn't get too. I had to reload the level. Was there a command for retrieving your ball?
Indeed !
I add so much combination of Golf Balls, Game Modes, creatures and dynamic objects that you could potentially get stuck somewhere in complex map. Currently I'm allowing quick level restart by using the F10 key, but later I will probably have to find a solution to this.
Maybe a special command like you suggest to respawn the golf ball to the last checkpoint, or something different...
The thing is that solution will have to work in Multiplayer session without allowing opponent to abuse of it. Maybe only allowing this in Single Player game ?
Again I have to think about it since this situation can also happen with anti-gravity option enabled.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »

Lol, it's eigenbom, with an 'M', but close enough. Wink

> Metagolf is already compatible with xBox 360 Controller

Excellent. I'll get out my controllers and test it out soon. Smiley

> Maybe a special command like you suggest to respawn the golf ball to the last checkpoint, or something different...

Hmm, it could be like a drop in golf, where it takes 1 or 2 penalty shots in order to replace your ball.

> Note also that most of the currently available levels are pretty old and probably won't make it to the final release. Now that most game objects are available, I can focus on a more intelligent level design.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing more crazy mini-golf style levels too -- I loved the levels where you knock your ball into a tunnel and it goes on a crazy adventure.

> I also add a Rugby Ball and a Cubic Ball in the Full Version and I will certainly add a few more when everything reach the Final version.

Ooh, that's cool. It could be a chance to put a couple of homages for other games/cultural things. Like a steel ball for speedball, a sticky-ball for arkanoid, a dark-matter ball for futurama, a poke-ball for pokemon, etc ... Wink

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »

Hmm, it could be like a drop in golf, where it takes 1 or 2 penalty shots in order to replace your ball.
Excellent idea ! Well, hello there!
If I code this feature I will add this penalty too.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing more crazy mini-golf style levels too -- I loved the levels where you knock your ball into a tunnel and it goes on a crazy adventure.
Yeah, tunnels are my favorite obstacles in mini-golf game.
The tunnel capabilities of the level editor is very recent, that's why only a few courses use them currently. But you can be sure to see this more often in a near future Smiley

Ooh, that's cool. It could be a chance to put a couple of homages for other games/cultural things. Like a steel ball for speedball, a sticky-ball for arkanoid, a dark-matter ball for futurama, a poke-ball for pokemon, etc ...
That's a cool idea Smiley
I just need to be sure it's not badly considered because a few days ago, someone correctly spot an obvious references to sonic with the jumper-spring and while I totally redraw it, he misinterpret it as a rip (is not that hard to me to redraw a red bloc into something else so...). I may seriously drop any "tribute" of that kind but I personally think it would be damage.

I already think about a slime ball and a sticky ball and will probably adding them later.

Funny that you are talking about Futurama because I want my slime ball look like the Brain Slugs Grin I also have an idea for a Totoro Ghibli balls but I prefer to be sure not to infringe any copyright first.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »

Good points, I personally wouldn't worry about someone thinking you've ripped the spring sprite - they'll get over it. Smiley

Anyways, good luck, I'll check back in a month or two to see how you're going!

b

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »

Hey so I ended up playing co-op with my brother with controllers. It went pretty well, lots of laughs to be had.

The split-screen was too small on my PC monitor (20" or so i think). Split-screen is fine for bigger TVs, but I'm not sure it works on PCs. Maybe splitting just in half for 2 player mode (instead of one half and two quadrants) would be better. A sub window overlapping the split could show the ball?

I was expecting us to have a ball each, and it took a while to understand the game play mechanisms with a shared ball. I like the shared ball gameplay but I would like to see a mode where each player gets their own ball. You could prohibit someone from hitting a ball they don't own, unless they pick up some sort of power-up that allows them too.

Also on the quadrant split the player sprites were horribly scaled down/aliased.

And finally, the xbox controllers worked fine with the mac, but I'm not sure I like the control scheme. It should be right-stick to aim and then hold a button to fire.

Anyways, just my 2c. Smiley

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:57 PM »

Hi Benjamin,

Glad you could try in Multiplayer! It's way more fun with friends or family.
Try 3 or 4 players and a simple game becomes nearly endless Big Laff That's why you better need to team-up.

It's used to be like you suggested :
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Vm9Po-2sYGE/S_J8p_JKzNI/AAAAAAAAAj4/Fc5Ee_jMr0o/s640/metagolfEasyGoing.png

But as you can see, this give you another problem way more disturbing:
Not enough field of view, you would never know where to shoot and would extensively use the scrolling touch (which breaks the game "flow").

So, thanks to a zooming system, I choose to gives everybody the same exact screen space during multiplayer games. It's true that it's a bit small, but since it's pixel-perfect a higher screen resolution won't change much. Split-screen always get's tiny at the end.

I could try to downscale mipmap the player character but I think I remember when doing this I loose support for some older machine. Need to verify once more.

A multiball Game mode is a cool idea, I will implement it in a few updates and credit you for the idea Smiley

The current xBox controllers scheme try to adapt to both left-handed and right-handed with no configuration. First I thought like you, but then I realize that in multiplayer and on some levels it was important to be able to jump/move and shoot at the same time. So it's more effective, easy and faster to simply shoot while releasing the right stick.
I think there is a button that allow you to reproduce the gamepad behavior but it's harder really.

A small updates is ready since a few days now but I'm waiting for Desura to be ready...  Grin

Armitage1982
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 10:00:11 PM »

I have added a Filtered MipMap mask to players (smooth the players when scaled down in Multiplayer).
Will be ready for the next update.
We'll see how it goes in the wild Durr...?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic