Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:37:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[GGJ] MIRRORMOON v.1.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [GGJ] MIRRORMOON v.1.0  (Read 4858 times)
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »

Hello Hello Hello everyone, it's been a while, but here we are! BACK!  Hand Any Key  Addicted

Anyhow, we wanted to share with you the small game we (Nicolò / Pietro) and our friend Paolo ( http://www.bloodymonkey.com/ ) made during the 48hrs of the Global Game Jam in Genova (IT). Would love to get any kind of feedback from you guys, keep in mind the game was obviously made in a short period of time, so it might not be "that" polished! Tongue (ex: don't use a joypad, that screen is quite misleading...)

MIRRORMOON

Mini Trailer:

GGJ page: http://globalgamejam.org/2012/mirror-moon
Game Download links:  WIN - MAC - MIRROR WIN - MIRROR MAC

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

other in-game images: MM1 MM2 MM3 MM4

MirrorMoon is a first-person puzzle-adventure game set on a uninhabited planet that is experiencing a full solar eclipse.
The game is about mystery, solitude and feeling lost.

DISCLAIMER: If you wish to experience the game as a player, I suggest to download it before reading further: it will only take a few minutes to complete.

As the game begins, it is possible to see a few indicators on the moon's surface and one of those will be moving in sync with the player's movements.
This observation is the first sign that there is a spatial relation between the moon's surface and the surface of the explorable planet
Through the game, it is shown that the planet and the moon are actually the same celestial body, as if the planet became it's own moon through space distortion.

The player eventually collects a gizmo that enables three kinds of action:

Rotating the "moon"
This ability rotates the moon around its axis and it enables using the moon as a map for the planet.
Depending on whether the eclipse is occurring, different things are shown on the moon. Landmarks, or even the player position, may disappear accordingly.
Rotating is also used to aim precisely on the moon surface before shooting a beacon.

Shooting beacons
After collecting the second gizmo, it's possible to shoot beacons on the moon's surface: when they land, they appear on both planets at the same coordinates.
They can be used to create path to follow in an otherwise flat world devoid of landmarks.
Aim is automatic provided that the moon is visible, the player can adjust the point of impact of beacons by rotating the moon.

Moving the moon
The player can "lock onto" the moon and move it across the sky according to his or her movements.
This enables for stopping/starting the eclipse and keeping the moon in-sight while exploring the planet.

I'll post here 3 links to some older "inbrowser" prototypes we made during those 2 days, before coming to a final version:

(controls: WASD - arrows - SPACE - C ).

PROTOYPE 1
PROTOYPE 2
PROTOYPE 3

And some pictures of the game during the development process:

Early Results

The navigation is a challenge to the visual-spatial of the player: so far, we have only experimented with moving from point A to point B
We saw players face this challenge in different ways:

- someone picked the right direction (using the moon as a map) and followed it in a straight line
- someone else built a thick path of beacons, and followed it along the planet
- few people chose to use a single beacon, to mark the middle point of the path

It's interesting that the system allows for different approaches to a real-world problem (orientation)
Much more could be done with moving objects between the planets and on the planets according to the player position.

The system itself could be made recursive by adding moons of moons and allowing the player to modify the environment in first person to affect the moon's representation.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope you'll like it, let us know what you think!!

Cheers!  Beer!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:37:03 PM by santaragione » Logged

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »

I played it when it was first posted up.

A neat idea, and one hell of a eureka moment when I got the connection. And another once I realized it was an eclipse.

Very cool, although I wouldn't know where to go with it

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »

I played it when it was first posted up.

A neat idea, and one hell of a eureka moment when I got the connection. And another once I realized it was an eclipse.

Very cool, although I wouldn't know where to go with it

We are a bit lost too.
We've shown it at GDC's Experimental Gameplay Sessions and we are giving the game some rest now and see if working on other things can inspire us to come back to it later this year.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

I liked the atmosphere of the game. It was a nice and spacey 10 minutes of play.

The puzzles were pretty easy to figure out. Although, I didn't understand I could rotate the mirrormoon at first. I only noticed the pyramid on the gun rotating until the moon happened to be in view.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic