Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:18:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDoes Pokemon Suck Now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Does Pokemon Suck Now?  (Read 14699 times)
UP_Kevin
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »

I used to be so into Pokemon. The cards were so much fun to collect, the games were as addictive as crack, the TV show was great, the monsters were amazing, etc.

Now it feels like the creators are just grasping at straws. They started at 150 Pokemon and it felt like each had been molded for weeks. Then they doubled the count, and while they weren't as great as the original, they still had some nice ones like Feraligatr and such. Past there, and especially now, it just feel like they're grasping at straws. Just compare the two cards below.

The new ones feel like new reiterations of old classics, with no thought put into them at all. The cards feel cheaper now, the holographic effect ont he cards isn't as cool as it used to be, I just wish they'd either work harder to make Pokemon good again, or quit before they dig the franchise into the ground.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »

The show petered out after the first season, when the creator left and everything became more "normal".

As for the games, I would be more interested in different twists on the formula then the same game with more 'mons. I'm not opposed to the idea, but they are basically using it as a crutch now. There is no sign that they won't dig the franchise into the ground.

blufgar
Level 0

SMARJGNZYVRN FOR ALL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:30:35 PM »

BLUFGAR CLUB OSHAWOTT AND EAT FOR DINNER.

GENERATION FIVE IS MORE SUCK THAN IN PAST.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »

WoTC doesn't run the cards any more, so I can't assure the quality of those. But Nintendo still makes okay Pokemon games (I really liked B/W myself), though I'll agree that they definitely need some innovation. And the Pokemon's actual design is fine, there are always a few copycat Pokemon in each set but for the most part they manage to achieve variation (this shows moreso when looking at base stats and movesets).

ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »

I take an active dislike to the designs of the new Pokemon.
blufgar
Level 0

SMARJGNZYVRN FOR ALL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »

BLUFGAR FOUND BROTHER. MAYBE BLUFGAR LAST NAME SANDOVAL?
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »

I like the new designs.

Honestly for me the first and second generations still feel the best, but I think that's because those generations' corresponding games are what held the original "wow" factor for me when playing Pokemon, so those designs really stuck in my head and I came to love them.

I think it's more of a problem with the series not really going anywhere, and being continually disappointed with the lack of the game designers' effort in pushing forward the franchise.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »

I like the new designs.

There's a friggin' Frigidaire you can use to fight Egyptian sarcophagi. If that fails, said Frigidaire can turn into a flailing fan and blow away the competition.

The R/S/E generation was the best one I played since it didn't have too much of the "Scribble blindfolded, add some eyes, slam a keyboard and add some vowels for some names."
Kramlack
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 09:25:53 PM »

I felt like the first generation made the most sense for monster design. A Lizard with a fire tail, okay, that's fine.

The second generation had some hiccups but still made sense, like, a dancing pedophile tree, alright, I can believe it.

Third gen started going off the deep end with their designs and oh god, what the fuck is this?

I still pretend generation four doesn't even exist...

I'll give credit to generation five for trying to go back a bit, but some of the designs were still pretty eh, I'd rank it in between generation two and three, in terms of how good the designs are.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:53 PM »

I HONESTLY THINK GEN 1 HAD REALLY BORING DESIGNS

a lizard with a flaming tail
a rat
a bigger rat
an electric rat
A BIGGER ELECTRIC RAT
a snake
a different snake
a dragon
a fart cloud
a pile of puke

future generations dont exactly make any sense but it bothers me when people say gen 1 had ORIGINAL AND UNIQUE DESIGNS because no they didnt it was literally just "okay lets take this animal and do a thing"
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »

I gotta say, I tried to get back into the games and stuck with Soul Silver for a while, but honestly I think it's me that's really changed. I just don't have the patience to grind and train for the next gym, especially when there's such a disparity between the gym leaders and the lower-leveled Pokemon in the surrounding areas. I never battled against real people as a kid, and doing it now I get my ass handed to me by people who know all of the ins and outs of EV training (which seems to this outsider even more tedious than straight-up grinding). I made it all the way to fight Red, and I've more or less lost all motivation to go on. The game's just no fun anymore.

Quitting Soul Silver made me realize I never liked the Pokemon games, I just liked the idea of it. I love the world, and the creatures (screw the haters, I like a lot of the Generation V designs) and the insanity of the early TV episodes and manga spinoffs. My favorite Pokemon game is Pokemon Snap, which I swear to God needs at the very least some form of sequel if not outright franchise of its own. I'd love to see Nintendo branch out more with the franchise with different ways to enjoy and explore the Pokemon universe, but so far it's been limited to the Ranger series and modifications of existing games (Tetris, Mystery Dungeon, etc.).
PaleFox
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »

they are making a pokemon nobunagas ambition crossover

i cant wait for nobunagas ambition to suddenly be either (awful) or (incredibly popular)

either way, what the fuck? (i love nobunaga's ambition woo woo)
Kramlack
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:48:49 PM »

@Swarms: Wasn't sure if this was at me. I agree, generation one was really generic and I'm not saying it was original by any means, but that was a lot of what I liked about it.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »

NOPE!!!! your post reminded me that i wanted to Say Those Words is all
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 10:18:27 PM »

I don't think the kids at the daycare I work at even know what a Pokemon is anymore.

Kramlack
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »

I don't think the kids at the daycare I work at even know what a Pokemon is anymore.

Anymore? So they knew what it was but now they forgot?
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

I noticed that a lot of people stopped after Johto, which to me makes sense because Kanto was this crazy rocket and badge-centric world with basic (read: boring) designs of animal+elements, Johto went feudal japan which everyone loves with mythological creatures+elements.

In Hoenn or whatever they tried to do modern Kanto, which sucks because modernity is about convenience and science and Aqua and Magma were just unrealistic, a lot of the designs weren't based on animals at all but weird concepts... it was just an unpleasant world to be in. Modern stuff is boring because it doesn't have the same myths and histories that Lavender Town and Ecruteak City did.

I don't think it's just a nostalgia thing, the designs have less culture.

Also Theo is right and the games are awful, it should have been a 3D MMO like everyone knows they should.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:56:45 PM by unsilentwill » Logged

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »

Anymore? So they knew what it was but now they forgot?

No, I meant that there was a time when every kindergartner was fighting over which starter was superior.

radioact1ve
Level 0

What?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

I was thinking about this same thing the other day. Something about red/blue and gold/silver that anything after doesn't come close. And I've given them all a try and the only one that I played past the 3rd badge more or less was Black. I still had to put it down.

I really believe it's the pokemon design. The "coolness" of training my monsters is gone. Nothing can top the original six starters!  Cool

Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »

I used to play competitively at a local retro game store, was fun, but I got sick of the same meta-game and same commonly used competitive pokemon. I'd always kick ass and take names when I wasn't trying something weird or gimmicky.

EV training is fun, but also tedious. Getting good IVs is SUPER tedious.

Good luck if you lose track of what EVs/IVs your 'mons have. I don't even know anymore. I just know I could get a rough estimate of what my 'mons IVS are from a calculator and a NPC in-game. For EVs, I'm pretty sure I got whatever was best for whatever pokes I had.

What TRUCKING pissed me off is that Black and White are missing two-three move tutors from SoulSilver/HeartGold. I needed them for certain moves on my Honchkrow and other pokemons. I have HeartGold, but I'd have to get a really good Murkrow IN THAT GAME AND grind the tutor credits/points to teach it what I want because you can't trade backwards through generations. To grind the 'training points' or whatever they are, I'd need a good team of poke'mon just INSIDE HeartGold alone to take on the Battle Tower. For Chris-sakes WTF would Nintendo/GameFreak do this?  Facepalm

All they needed to do was release a special version with said tutors and I'd be back on track, but NO. Fine, don't take my money.

As for the best generation, number one beats all.
I remember playing a Japanese ROM of Silver before silver came out and I saw the UnOwn pokemon and thought it was the stupidest thing in the world and those stupid trees that block your path.

What happened with the Poke'mon designs- supposedly...
-Was at first, they had all the Pokemon designs from Ken Sagatori or whatever his name is. OK, that's great.

-2nd gen they let only a few more people in the company do monster designs. They also had to make requisite shitty/crappy filler pokemon. But, Still pretty good overall.

-3rd gen they let even more people in the company make designs. They also ran out of ideas so they started making parity copies of the common pokemon like birds/plants/bats/rats etc. So many filler pokemons. Erghh.

4th Gen- running out of ideas FAST. Carbon copy 1st/2nd/3rd gen pokemon AND just make more evolutions for the past Pokemons. Also stupid dumb baby versions of 1st gen pokemon just to make it harder to fill up your poke'dex and train your poke'mon. Totally gross.

5th gen- Still letting the wrong people design Pokemon, and too many. Ever heard the phrase, "too many cooks spoil the broth"...yeah. But at least some of the designs are cool. Execadrill is my favorite, and this thing is a beast.

Pokemon does suck now.
We need a NEW GAME that ditches EVERYTHING and starts over with designs ONLY FROM Ken Sagatori. New battle system, get rid of IVS/EVS (or make them visible), make new everything. Get rid of stupid grindy stuff like Battle Points from the Battle subway/tower or make it way way less grindy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:20:33 AM by Trevor Dunbar » Logged

Toucantastic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic