Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:53:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDoes Pokemon Suck Now?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Does Pokemon Suck Now?  (Read 14648 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 12:45:54 AM »

Small nitpick for posterity:

Ken Sugimori.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »

I don't think Pokemon has ever been "getting worse". Improvements have been made to the underlying system of the games since the series started. For example: Passive abilities were introduced in Ruby & Sapphire, moves were split to physical/special in Diamond & Pearl, TMs were made unlimited use in Black & White, and so on. However, the core idea of the games (trainer catches pokemon, fights a villainous team, gets badges, becomes champion) remains the same.

And let's be honest, as Swarms said, a lot of the Gen 1 designs are actually pretty terrible. Every game has been a mixed bag of designs, with some good ones and some bad ones. For example, I think Luxray and Floatzel look pretty badass, but Bidoof looks stupid.

I think that the opinion that Pokemon is getting worse may be caused by other factors:
  • Growing up, and finding that you don't like the same games as you did when you were a kid
  • Expressing a dislike of something that is popular because it makes you more "indie" (this is kind of silly, admittedly)
  • Growing tired of the games because they are similar to each other. This doesn't mean that the new games are worse than the old games, just that they're similar and playing one of them could make you grow tired of the other ones.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 03:34:28 AM »

I used to be a huge pokemans fan when it first got big in the late 90s but stopped paying attention to it around the time gold/silver came out. in retrospect i think the games were mainly fun to me because of the social aspect, taking your gameboy to school and playing with your friends, that stuff. and because it was so huge, you'd almost always find someone to play or talk about pokemon with. it was the feeling of being "part" of something. i bought pokermen black when it came because i kept hearing it was supposedly "a breath of fresh air" (it wasnt but w/e) and playing it made me realize i actually find the games themselves kinda boring.
UP_Kevin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »

I just think the #1 thing that ruined Pokemon was the monsters that just went into a decline. Hearing that Ken was only on for the first round comes as no surprise. I just think they had a great idea at first. They had unlimited potential and whipped out fantastic monsters like Blastoise, Gyarados, Poliwhirl (water pokemon are my faves, if you didn't already realize) but past there, they went for new renditions of old favorites.

The show really shouldn't have gone past a few seasons. When it was just Ash, Misty, and Brock, it was cool. All the new characters are just blah. It really didn't even seem like anime at the start, but now it just reeks of it (not to offend anime lovers, lol)

I don't have a DS yet (wahh) so I haven't played Black/White, but I'd say based on every Gameboy Color/Advance game, nothing beats Blue. It's just insane.

And the card materials just feel cheap now. They changed the design and ruined it.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »

I gotta say, I tried to get back into the games and stuck with Soul Silver for a while, but honestly I think it's me that's really changed.

This. I feel that the game is just "honest to good" now. I'm sure that' it's me that changed as Silver used to be my favourite... and I dropped Soul Silver because it was too boring.
Too much grinding, too little strategy in battles comparing to brute force use, the pace is really slow and the story is inane.
And those all were strong points back when I were a kid.

So uhm, they can try to have a decent battlesystem and some tactics more complicated than try to grind a pokemon for each strong type, but I don't think they will.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »

Blastoise, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
I don't really like any of those. I think they're kind of ugly.

Out of curiosity, what is the first Pokemon game that you played? I'll hazard a guess that the favorite of most people is likely to be the first game they owned, basically because of the nostalgia and similarity factors mentioned above. I owned Ruby as a real cartridge, and only played RBY and GSC on emulators much later, and guess what - Ruby is my favorite game.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »

I'm an adult.
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 08:58:24 AM »

Ken Sugimori wasn't the only pokemon designer even on the 1st gen. He did the final artwork for the games (and he possibly still did on Black and White?), but there was at least Atsuko Nishida also doing designs, such as Pikachu.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 09:25:36 AM »

I'm an adult.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »

Judging by my avatar I think I know that guy. Maybe he's the new manager from the fixie store? One thing is for sure, he ain't mainstream and he's an adult.  Noir

(nice lonely island reference btw!)

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »

I have played all the pokemon games (not the remakes).  Not catching all the pokemon or doing everything but just beating the game.  I think people go a bit crazy about pokemon designs.  I can't really see how 1 generation is worse then the others in design terms.  It seems like just nostalgia to me that people somehow think generation 1 and 2's monsters weren't ridiculous.  Each generation has some I like and some I don't.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »

Ken Sugimori wasn't the only pokemon designer even on the 1st gen. He did the final artwork for the games (and he possibly still did on Black and White?), but there was at least Atsuko Nishida also doing designs, such as Pikachu.
one japanese guy drew rats on fire, water rats, wind rats, stone rats, and plant rats, while another japanese guy was chiefly in charge of drawing cyber rats, ghost rats, clock rats, rats that looked like keys, or door mats, or coffee cups and mouse rats. the "rat trilogy" is hailed for its fine art, complex mechanics, grand story, and innovative designs, whereas consensus has been reached amongst 35 year old pokemon fans about the pejoratively named "continuing rat adventures" series, which is derided for derivative designs by yet another japanese guy, such as a rat with a bull whip and a little hat, and a rat that is actually just a normal rat, not on fire or anything.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »

Strictly speaking within the main single player campaigns, I think it's actually gotten a little bit better. Battles seem a lot faster than they used to be, for example, and 2v2/3v3 is great (if way too underused.) But then there are still the issues of massive bloat within the total Pokemon monster set/moveset, the game making it way too simple (and also less boring than the alternative, which would involve hours of grinding) to steamroll through everything by just leveling 1 or 2 mons and having everyone else be Revive slaves, the entire IV/EV dice roll system, boring towns and areas, etc. Regarding designs, the originals weren't exactly anything special, half the evolutions were either "ok make it bigger" or "ok stick three of them together and call it a day"; I actually like how a lot of the ones in B/W looked. Either way, I think I'd enjoy the games more if they just put mandatory level caps, worked on more strategic battles (preferably more than 1v1 most of the time), had training Pokemon take far less time, and maybe gave it a more interesting scenario.

it should have been a 3D MMO like everyone knows they should.

Everyone says this, but imagine how this would actually work out in reality. Do you really want to be subjected to even more grinding, chat spam asking for items, endless tedious quests and busywork just inserted to keep you playing, useless cruft by the bucketload, probably an extremely fake and copypasted world, etc.? No thanks, I'd rather have an HD Stadium 3 with proper console online.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »

I grew up with Ruby/Sapphire, so I love them. I never got anywhere past that. Eventually I bought Pokemon Black, but I wasn't able to get into it; it just seemed so bloated and the designs so uninteresting.

But that's just because I didn't grow up with them. Pokemon Ruby started off by hitting you with raccoons, little wolves, and weird bugs. Pokemon Black started off with, uh, I can't really remember, I think some dumb cat and a puppy. They're both yanked wholesale, without alteration, from real-world animals, but the difference is I was little when I was fighting the former group.

Anyway, Pokemon does suck now, but just to us. When we're at the seventh generation of remakes and random scribbles turned into monsters, the kids who grew up on Black/White probably won't be very impressed.

it should have been a 3D MMO like everyone knows they should.

Please no.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »

steamroll through everything by just leveling 1 or 2 mons and having everyone else be Revive slaves..
I know exactly what you mean. Tongue That's how I always played Ruby. 1 (insert pokemon here) and 5 zigzagoons, or 4 zigzagoons and a flying pokemon. They'd keep picking up rare candies that I used to make my first pokemon even more overpowered, so there was no need to level up anything else.

They've actually tried to mitigate this in later generations. Consider the following changes:
-From Emerald and onwards, the chance of picking up a Rare Candy is relative to the Pokemon's level. This means abusing Rare Candy is more difficult in newer games, since you also have to level up your Pickup Pokemon to 41+ to have a decent chance of finding them.
-In Black & White, the experience formula was changed to be affected by how high the level of the Pokemon is relative to the enemy, so a lower-leveled Pokemon gained more experience by fighting a high-level foe and the other way around.

I think it's pretty clear that we're moving in the direction of needing to use more Pokemon in battle. Maybe they're still not successful in preventing the "steamrolling" strategy, but you can't say that they aren't trying.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 01:06:15 PM »

Yeah, I do really hate MMOs. But also I'm sick of turn-based, one against the world games in the exact same 2d art style.

Screw stats, guys.

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »

So in your Pokemon MMO you don't want it to have a Pokemon art style, a Pokemon plot, or a turn-based or stat-based battle system.

What do you want it to maintain from the games? A stylish accent over an e?
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »

As a few have said, I don't think its gotten any worse, I'm just less tolerant of it now. I picked up White and I just stopped playing after 5 or so gyms. Pokemon hasn't really changed much at its core, and the idea of grinding Pokemon to level 99 seems insane now. I probably would have never bought it if not for my friend having it too, even though we only played together once. There are plenty more games out there that are more deserving of my time, and even with nothing else to play, I doubt I would ever pick it up again.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »

too much grind, still not enough work on balance. too much random element.

playing the game is also boring after a few generations. its the same thing every time except with different pokémon, except not at all because they feel obligated to put in the same archetypes every time.

a rodent! a bird! both normal and normal flying YAWN

fire/fighting, water/random, or grass?Huh? WHAT WILL YOU CHOOSE THIS TIME (THE CHOICES ARE THE SAME EVERY TIME)

there were a few cool additions in B/W and everyone that complains that only first gen are good are hipsters. There's some shit in every pokémon generation and there's some pretty cool ones too. why dont you fucking tattoo jynx on your ass

but yeah, 5% crits and moves that can miss isn't actually fun. pokémon is in many ways outdated.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »

Everything Monster King said plus,

The addition of Steel and Dark and the Special Defense stat in Gold/Silver was good balancing, as was the stealth reduction of maximum EVs when we went from Gold/Silver to Ruby/Emerald. Pokemon has made efforts to introduce new attacks and new balance.

I think if Black and White's pokemon were the first generation and Red and Blue where this generation, pokemon would still be popular. The problem with pokemon has been and will continue to be its refusal to eliminate randomness and opacity that make it uninteresting to anyone other than children.

I have always felt the next logical evolution for pokemon is to make a game where you get points and get to build your pokemon by buying stats and skills. Make the "Campaign" mode where you collect new techniques and skills so you gradually get to be stronger, and make the battles a little more difficult. Leveling up pokemon is tedious and passe, so now you can emphasize the combat system and let players tear into that instead.

The downside is that would take a lot more effort to make, since balance will become critical to the final product.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic