Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:32:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDoes Pokemon Suck Now?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Does Pokemon Suck Now?  (Read 14645 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »

i played pokemon a couple of times on no$gb and then went outside to climb trees and play with my friends

when did you give up the outdoors for forums and twitter
i wish dearly that my adult life could revolve around the discovery of new trees to climb, and the act of climbing them, and then making the several mile long trek home early so that i'm back by 8pm (this is known to parents as "not going too far")
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

Oh man

Original GB Golbat was creepy as hell. Those eyes. Way better than the official Golbat art they use now.

Also, Swift can actually miss despite its claim of perfect accuracy. TAS runs have proven this to me.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:27 PM »

Ooh, can this topic be about the amazing iconic Pokemon designs that were found in the original Pokemon Red/Blue versions?

#003 - Venusaur
Hey that's a nice forest drawing. Wait, what that's thing squished up at the bottom of it? That's a frog, right? The artist just drew half of a frog jumping and put a forest on top?

#006 - Charizard
Extremely threatening fire breathing dragon. You can tell he is threatening because he has both paws clenched like fists, one resting on his knee and the other resting on...nothing. Badass.

#034 - Nidoking
In a stunning reversal of gender roles, Nidoking's boobs are noticeably bigger than his wife's. Also, he has a bunch of random scales and features that make it harder to make out distinct body parts, which adds to his character and makes him seem more iconic as an iconic character.

#037 - Vulpix
Vulpix blushes in embarassment as he realizes that his artist forgot to shade his sprite.

#042 - Golbat
Golbat's tormented eyes reflect his hatred of his miserable existence. Between battles he writes LiveJournal entries while listening to noise music.

#045 - Vileplume
Artist draws huge flower, realizes that the perspective doesn't match and he only has 2 8x8 tile rows left, just says "fuck it" and draws a completely incongruous black smiley face cylinder with arms and feet.

#065 - Alakazam
Alakazam is holding spoons as large as his feet next to his head, which is larger than the entire rest of his body.

#062 - Poliwrath
Artist is short on time and can't shade his sprite, because he spent too much time on the last one.

#068 - Machamp
Before Machamp became a cynical smirking adult, he was a happy baby who just wanted to give everyone a great big hug.

#083 - Farfetch'd
Yeah.

#092 - Gastly
Take a Microsoft Paint spraycan tool, add eyes and a smile. Now you have an iconic monster design for a children's videogame series, hooray!

#107 - Hitmonchan
Artist didn't like spending that much time to make Hitmonlee's pose look cool, so he just chooses the most awkward perspective possible to showcase the character design and hopes that kids won't notice because omg cool fists. Except they aren't even fists, they're boxing gloves. Except they aren't even boxing gloves, they're just brown spheres. How is his body bending that way so that his legs are in that position relative to his head, if his sprite directly facing the camera? Is that arm just floating in midair? What the hell is this sprite?

#149 - Dragonite
Man, what a cool looking dragon. Look how cool he looks, it's like he's depressed and having a mid-life crisis, just like the fathers of the kids who are playing this game. Subtle social commentary on Japanese culture.

#151 - Mew
Mew is shocked and confused to discover that he has a terminal brain tumor.

The artists who made these sprites are probably millionaires today. This is what the Pokemon franchise has done.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:27:34 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »

These were the best.

Unbound by official character art they transcended traditional artistry to forge their own personalities.
PaleFox
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »

jesus

pokemon? really?

really?

pokemon is like my little pony

popular amongst people with pastel scarves and no taste

i have played pokemon also
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »

but no one outside of the pokemon fandom knows these (except mudkips maybe but even THAT is limited to internet nerds). ive never heard of snivy and only know lucario via brawl.
You might not know about Snivy as Snivy, but it was a major internet phenomenon before the revelation of its official English name. At that time, it was called Smugleaf.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »

the original 151 had the highest number of memorable designs. that's what matters here.

if turtwig (turtle with a tree on its back) had been made before bulbasaur, then you'd say the same, see my point about being a hipster

though bulbasaur is arguably cooler, in the end you just know and prefer them because they were the first and the new ones kinda try to be the same like i said earlier.

Most of the older designs are simpler though and that might play in their favor, but there's some cool stuff from later gens like mamoswine he/she is awesome

and then dugtrio is 3 digletts and JYNX IS OMG BEAUTIFUL SO MEMORABLE
which is just as bad as gardevoir, here is your homework: type gardevoir in google image with safesearch off

if no one outside the pokémon fandom knows them thats because they still grew with the old ones when they were young, when the kids of today grow up they will know pikachu and whatever the fuck they have in the cartoons and games they played
PaleFox
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2012, 04:13:29 AM »

when the kids today grow up they will know the cold burning stare of their robotic overlords

which may be shaped like pokemon i guess who knows
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:03 AM »

if turtwig (turtle with a tree on its back) had been made before bulbasaur, then you'd say the same, see my point about being a hipster
wouldnt liking the new pokemans be more hipsterish because theyre less well known and therefore more "underground" (my favorite pokorman is really obscure you probably never heard of it)  
Noir Cool Gomez
Kramlack
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2012, 05:02:10 AM »

@DavidCaruso: I'm glad I'm not the only one who think Pokemon Green Mew has a brain tumor. I fucking love the old sprites though. They're like The Room of game sprites.
AshfordPride
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2012, 06:27:27 AM »

10/10 Pokemon design.  Bad ass motherfuckers are so cool.  The only thing that could be cooler than this would be a crocodile wearing sunglasses but not seeing any of those around guess I'm going to have to give these two the award for best fucking Pokemon ever.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:56 AM »

There's nothing particularly terrible about the Green sprites (it's not hard to find much worse game art from high budget games). It's only when you look at them now with the more, eh, solidified designs in your head that they look weird.

I mean, people who are used to this guy probably think this looks weird. (Even though the latter is clearly way cooler!)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:57:07 AM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:03 AM »

jesus

pokemon? really?

really?

pokemon is like my little pony

popular amongst people with pastel scarves and no taste

haha
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »

DavidCaruso, you used wrong Golbat sprite. This is the one and only real Golbat:

I mean, people who are used to this guy probably think this looks weird. (Even though the latter is clearly way cooler!)

I agree that the old Pikachu was somehow cooler, even though the new design is probably more "dynamic" or whatever buzzword one wants to use. Might just be nostalgia but whatever.

Yeah. This is cute.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »

which version where those sprites from?  My memory is possibly way way off but I don't remember the red or blue sprites looking like that...
These are the ones I remember...
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »

Those were the original JP sprites (Green/OG Red versions.) The US ones look a lot better but still seem off with some of them (like Psyduck, Golbat, or Kabuto.) I don't think they really got the sprites down until Yellow, though by that time they had the TV show inspiration to help too.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »

The only thing that could be cooler than this would be a crocodile wearing sunglasses but not seeing any of those around guess I'm going to have to give these two the award for best fucking Pokemon ever.

Q.E.D.?

Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »

blah blah blah only girls play pokemon

only REAL MEN can HANDLE the POKEMONZ  Cool

(and you seem to know it)

Toucantastic.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »

calling all grimer / muk defenders how memorable is a sludge pile

also jynx why do you keep avoiding jynx

SHE LOVES YOU
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2012, 04:23:14 AM »

as the king of monsters why did you allow pocket monster jynx to come into being

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic