Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:25:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe TIGSource Musical Challenge (Feb. 9 - Feb.21) - CALUM BOWEN WINS
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The TIGSource Musical Challenge (Feb. 9 - Feb.21) - CALUM BOWEN WINS  (Read 6186 times)
medieval
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »

damn. missed it.
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:21 PM »

I suggest Calum get ready to host the next challenge.  Just sayin

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
TheEnz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 01:57:44 AM »

TheEnz - I like the way you built up the melody around the bassline.

Kz012 - Thanks!  It means a lot just to receive a snippet of positive feedback! I'm just breaking in and totally self taught, so it's nice to hear kind words from such a talented composer!  I hope to be as skilled as all y'all someday...hopefully by like next week. Cheesy
pgil
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »

Sorry I'm late with this. I was busy with work, then I crashed my car, and then my dog took a shit on my floor... SO I didn't have much time to do a real critique of every song like I'd hoped. Still, I was super impressed with the work everyone did. I managed to write a few thoughts on each one:

Frantic Fight by Calum Bowen - Very cool. Lots of changes in mood and intensity.  Love the buildup around 1:35 to the loud horns, which transitions into this calm, dreamy section.

Passing Through by kz012 - Like the intensity of this.  Not much variation, but you make up for it in adreneline.  I could see this in a climactic scene in an action game.

Bassline Bombshell by Mat André - Welcome to the TIGS.  This is nice, really builds tension.  There's nothing that really makes it stand out, but I could see it working well in a game.

fetter by Noah! - This one's really got the Jan Hammer sound.  I was waiting for some synth guitar to come in.  Or, like, a sax solo. 

Grinding by 0rel - This one's fun.  I like the droning sound of the bass, and I like the not-quite-glitchy beat. 

Broken Message by KomradeJack - The slow buildup withe the radio ambience is great.  It gets to be pretty unsettling with the stomping drums, and the steady, unmoving bass really enhances it, I think.

Shoot on Sight by MoritzPGKatz - Nice use of resonant filters to add some variety to the bassline.  THe heavy guitars and Moog-ey lead work surprisingly well together..

I still need to choose a winner, and host for next week's challenge.  I think I'll have to go with Calum Bowen

His song had so much variation and changes in mood in just 3 minutes-- it really made the most of the challenge's limitations.  SO congrats, dude!  I can't wait to see how you decide to challenge us!   Beer!
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »

Congrats to Calum and thanks to pgil for being such a great host!  Beer!

Looking forward to the next competition!

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »

Congrats Calum. I missed this one but I am in for the next challenge.

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2012, 01:51:28 AM »

I won!  Tears of Joy

Thanks for making it an awesome competition everyone. OK, so shall I post the challenge (which is boggling my brain right now) here + change the title of the thread, if i can do that... or start a new thread?

medieval
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 03:52:00 AM »

starting a new thread would be best I think
kz012
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 05:19:18 AM »

Congratulations Calum!  Grin

Sam English
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »

Congrats, Cal! You deserve it, bud.
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »

Thanks morgan Smiley

Congrats, Cal! You deserve it, bud.

Thanks man! Will you be entering the current one?

Sam English
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »

If I can find the time, definitely. Even if I can't make the next one, I WILL be taking part in the TIGSource Musical Challenge someday!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic