Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:15:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInSilico [New Screens: 07/16/12]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: InSilico [New Screens: 07/16/12]  (Read 26878 times)
Kevin
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:45:08 AM »

InSilico: A branching sci-fi platformer

InSilico is a lo-fi, flick-screen action-platformer comprised of a single level with multiple, branching paths to the final area. As players progress through the various challenges and boss fights, they will occasionally come to rooms with multiple exists and be forced to choose one of two to progress to at each fork. Path decisions are permanent, and once a route has been selected back-tracking to previous areas will become impossible. Each area will lead to one of a number of types of upgrades, and feature unique enemies, bosses and environments. At this point in development it's still undecided, but various possible routes through the game will likely have an impact on the final boss encounter and ending cutscene.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:26:50 PM by Kevin » Logged
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:03:16 AM »

YAY YAY YAY YAY!!  Gomez
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:41:22 AM »

This is so awesome that it's ridiculous. I LOVE your game sir Gentleman

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:43:39 AM »

The video is great.. are you going to include more terrain interaction? I.e. moving platforms, destructable walls, switches, etc.. Smiley

The one thing I'm not sure about is the player's helmet. It looks a bit odd to me.  Sad
Kevin
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 04:08:04 AM »

Thanks guys.

happymonster: Yes sir. Likely all of those terrain types are going to be included in some form. As to the helmet, do you mean in the concept or the sprite? Or maybe both?
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:11:14 AM »

Remember seeing this in the mockups and nice to see a devlog for it now. Gameplay is looking great, really like the look you have and love the frog like guys death animations  Kiss

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:36:27 AM »

Cool! I meant in the sprite, it looks too hollow compared to the rest of his body (to me..)
Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:24:42 AM »

I like Sci-fi and I like games. Look forward to your FTS updates.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »

looks incredible Smiley

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:42 AM »

Haha! It's lovely! Like something that escaped from 1987. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »

That video is quite nice. Despite the lack of originality you've mentioned, I think this will be quite a gem if you finish it

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »

Looks nice. Smiley

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »

That video was 2:45 of pixelly goodness. This looks pretty sick, man. I think as for your sprite, perhaps you should add a single pixel to the top left corner of his helmet (where it ends in spikes on the concept art). By the way, awesome concept art!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »

I had a quick go.. this isn't so much of a helmet, but I think it has a bit more character:

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »

i really like the style. when i saw it in the mockup thread it inspired me to give it a try too. but mine was mired in artlessness. i hope you don't follow the metroid example too closely. you have the Superb Joe Seal Of Approval.
Ashkin
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »

"Because names are hard and originality is overrated."
I hear that! *high-five*
Looking forward to keeping tabs on this devlog.
Kevin
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 04:43:31 AM »

Progress has slowed a bit, but

is a new video showing a rough pass at a title screen as well as the newly implemented animated doors. The animation on the title screen is more of a proof of concept, and will be smoothed and cleaned up significantly. Also, my computer is shitty and captures video poorly, so the animation as it appears in the video is choppier than it should be (and is missing the muzzle flash when the gun fires).

Thanks again for all the kind words!

Cool! I meant in the sprite, it looks too hollow compared to the rest of his body (to me..)

I see what you're saying, but (maybe because I'm used to it/know how it's meant to read), I feel like the current sprite is closer to the concept. I'll play around with it, though, and see what I can come up with. Yours is definitely much cuter.

On the topic of graphics, I should note that my use of low-fi art goes beyond the obvious advantages with regards to ease of production (though that's part of it). What I'm hoping is that, given the abstractness and low-detail of the sprites, everyone who plays it will have a unique interpretation of what, exactly, everything is supposed to look like (if that makes any sense). The example that comes to mind is Yorgle, from Adventure. If someone showed you that sprite, said "it's a monster," and asked you to draw a detailed interpretation of what, exactly, he looked like, I think it's safe to say that no two people would come up with the same thing. I want people to have a similar experience with the sprites in this game.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 05:13:36 AM »

Game is looking awesome, Im loving the title screen! keep up the good work dude!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 05:28:08 AM »

Nice new video. Like the look you have going with the title screen.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic