Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:15:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Turner (Lugaru)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Turner (Lugaru)  (Read 53345 times)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »

I think this is design process is all really too specific, but I'll oblige.
Pretty much I envision Turner as basic, fast, and strong at close range.

Stats
Turner is pretty large, and his attacks can be a bit slow, although they are powerful. Despite this, he is a skilled runner and jumper, and he can jump off walls.

Portrait
Portrait - ArdentSideburn, Kaikimi, rdein, Goodbye

Animations
Idle -Oracle, ArdentSideburn
Walking- Rostiger, Bremze, Goodbye, ArdentSideburn
Jumping- Rostiger, JMickle, ArdentSideburn
Hurt -
Throwing -
Wall Grabbing -
Staff Jab -
Upwards Staff Swing - ArdentSideburn
Roundhouse Kick - ArdentSideburn
Downwards Staff Swing (should be chargable) -
Aerial Downwards Kick -
Knife Throw -
Staff Spin (like a whirlwind) -
Two Footed Kick -
Defensive Staff Position

Move List
A - Staff Jab
Turner quickly jabs with his staff. It's a weak attack, but fairly quick, with good reach.

←A / →A - Power Kick
A powerful roundhouse kick that sends the foe flying away.

↑A - Staff Swing
Turner swings up with his staff.

↓A - Staff Spin
Turner twirls his staff, hitting enemies on both sides.

↓A(aerial) - Falling Kick
Turner plummets quickly with his foot stretched out. If he lands on an enemy, he hits them for mid-low damage and bounds back into the air, all aerial abilities recovered.

S - Throw Knife
Turner throws a low damage knife directly to the right.

←S / →S - Rabbit Kick
Turner jumps feet first at the enemy, doing very high damage and knockback if it hits and the enemy isn't blocking, else Turner suffers a large recovery time.

↑S - Aerial Slam
Turner jumps upwards. If he grabs an enemy, he slams them into the ground.

↓S - Counter
Any hits on turner do no damage and are returned with 150% power.

Original Move List
A - Punch - A quick punch that stuns the enemy; does very little damage.
>A - Staff swing - A very powerful attack with a sizable charge time.
^A - Sword swing - Turner swings up with his sword.
vA - Staff smash - Turner swings down doing huge damage; long charge time.
No A aerial attacks.
S - Counter - Any hits on turner do small amounts of damage to the attacker for a brief period of time.
>S - Right throw - Turner throws a low damage knife directly to the right.
^S - Up throw - Turner throws a knife at a 80º angle.
vS - Diagonal throw - Turner throws a knife at a 45º angle.
^S(air) - High throw - Turner throws a knife at a 60º angle
vS(air) - Low throw - Turner throws a knife at a -30º angle
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:36:58 AM by Clemens » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

Kickass sprite, there.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 03:38:50 PM »

As I posted in the Dwarf's thread, double-jumping will be pretty central to the game. Unless you have a really good reason, every character should be able to double-jump. I don't see why Turner, a rabbit, would be a poor jumper (a jump speed of 12 is pretty low, especially with no double jump).

I had a few other ideas for attacks which we may want to work in:
Rabbit Kick - Turner lunges forward, dealing huge damage. However, it has a long recovery time if it misses.

Grab - Turner grabs an enemy. Until the enemy escapes, he can either punch it for low damage or throw it a good distance.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 04:08:13 PM »

(a jump speed of 12 is pretty low, especially with no double jump).

What!
I thought I put that as 20 WTF

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »

He should totally have some A aerial attacks. I imagine him jumping around just assaulting the heck out of slower characters with kicks and flips and stuff. May I suggest?:

Air - Triple Kick - Three quick, low damage kicks.

>Air - Power Kick - A powerful roundhouse kick that sends the foe twirling away, deprived of control until he/she hits the ground.

^Air - Staff Jab - Turner thrusts a staff straight up into the air. Long range, mid damage.

vAir - Falling kick - Turner plummets quickly with his foot stretched out. If he lands on an enemy, he hits them for mid-low damage and bounds back into the air, all aerial abilities recovered.

S - Counter - Any hits on turner do no damage and are returned with 75-150% power.

>S - Right throw - Turner throws a low damage knife directly to the right.

^S - Flip - Turner flips forward in an arc quickly. If the foe is hit, does high damage. If not...well, you end up behind your foe. Like dodging but without the pause at the end.

vS - Pounce - Turner does a quick backflip, landing on all fours, then pounces forward doing high damage.

^S(air) - Chopper - Turner spins around with sword extended, rising slightly, but maintaining great horizontal mobility. High damage if it hits multiple times.

vS(air) - Pounce - Pounces downwards at an angle without the backflip, doing high damage.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »

I like the knives for S better, personally. Axl is my favorite Guilty Gear character for his versatile 'projectiles' Tongue

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »

I like Xion's suggestions, actually. I envisioned Turner as being a very melee-oriented character, not a knife-throwing ranged attacker.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »

But the knives would be really weak compared to his melee attacks...
Ah well.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:30:55 AM »

How about this: one of the buttons is used for throwing knives. When you press the button, Turner prepares a knife, and then the next direction you press determines the direction of the throw. That way you could have one button handle all knife throwing directions.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »

I agree with Gen. Valter

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 01:31:01 PM »

How about this: one of the buttons is used for throwing knives. When you press the button, Turner prepares a knife, and then the next direction you press determines the direction of the throw. That way you could have one button handle all knife throwing directions.

Or you may opt for a relatively accurate representation of what happens in the real game. The knife is shot towards the nearest enemy after pressing the button to do throw it. It's usually predictable and easy to dodge, but when it actually does hit, whether the enemy is laying down, not expecting it, or just not being able to move out of the way, it hits for some pretty nice damage. This would get rid of the problem of being able to throw it only in 45 degree increments using the keyboard controls.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 03:22:47 PM »

But the knives would be really weak compared to his melee attacks...
Ah well.
If throwing knives are only supposed to be a minor part of the character, then they shouldn't be used for nearly half his attacks.

This is not a bad suggestion. It does make the attack a little slower and more difficult to use, however.

The knife is shot towards the nearest enemy after pressing the button to do throw it.
Auto-targeting promotes button-mashing and spamming, since players don't even need to aim their attacks.

Frankly, I think the best solution to the knife-throwing dilemma is also the simplest- just have him throw the knife straight forwards. It's quick, it works, and for a simple fighting game, 360 degree aiming is not necessary.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »

Sorry, allow me to explain. The S move would "prepare" instantly.

Example: I want to throw a knife to the right. Instead of pressing right and then S, I would instead press S and then right. It should take exactly as much time as other S moves.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 05:19:33 PM »

It would still take slightly more time, since it wouldn't string together smoothly with other attacks.

Also, the change would make it slightly more difficult to perform a Counter, since that would need to change to a vS attack.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »

vS is the counter move for many SSB characters. I don't think it would be that huge a problem. It's your call in the end, though. I haven't tried the battle system, so you know how well things will work better than I do.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 10:44:44 PM »

Frankly, I think the best solution to the knife-throwing dilemma is also the simplest- just have him throw the knife straight forwards. It's quick, it works, and for a simple fighting game, 360 degree aiming is not necessary.

Horrible idea.

Auto-direction would cause spamming, eh? Did you ever learn how to use alarms or whatever?

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 10:49:31 PM »

If we wanna be closer to the source, we could make it so he has to pick up the knife again before he can use it.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »

Another try at a skill list Beer!.

Air(no button, just landing on foe) - Stomp - Does moderate damage to anyone Turner lands and he bounces up a little.

^Air - Staff Jab - Turner thrusts a staff straight up into the air. Long range, mid damage.

S - Right throw - Turner throws a knife at nearest enemy to the right, and the attack cannot be used again until the knife is either picked up by Turner or it falls off the map.

>S - Rabbit Kick - Turner jumps feet first at the enemy, doing very high damage and knockback if it hits and the enemy isn't blocking, else Turner suffers a large recovery time.

^S - Flip - Turner flips forward in an arc quickly. If the foe is hit, does high damage. If not...well, you end up behind your foe. Like dodging but without the pause at the end.

vS - Counter - Any hits on turner do no damage and are returned with 75-150% power.

^S(air) - Aerial spin - Slightly increases horizontal movement speed during jump and is immune to projectiles during the spin.

vS(air) - Pounce - Pounces downwards at an angle without the backflip, doing high damage.
[/quote]

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 11:59:46 PM »

Horrible idea.

Auto-direction would cause spamming, eh? Did you ever learn how to use alarms or whatever?
Even if you gave it horrible lag to stop people spamming, or used inane's idea of dropping, it would still be an annoying attack. It means you can threaten your opponent across the entire map, and if the whole RPS thing ends up in the final build, the knife will be unblockable since it's a special attack.

Have you ever played Chaos Faction? I mean, that's just one huge pit of spam, but the absolute worst was the auto-aiming weapons like the ninja stars and tasers. Sure, they both had minimal lag, but I think the principle remains here. It makes the victim feel gypped and it makes the user feel like he doesn't have full control of the character.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 06:22:39 PM »

What Chutup said. Auto-aiming attacks don't require you to move into position first, so they promote sitting in one place and button mashing. You could make the daggers really weak/slow to reduce the effectiveness of this tactic, but then the attack won't be used at all.

By the way, that skill list looks pretty much perfect.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic