Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:53:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSTASIS -An Isometric SciFi Adventure Game
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: STASIS -An Isometric SciFi Adventure Game  (Read 54815 times)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2013, 12:59:18 AM »

This looks very, very polished already.
Very intrigued

Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2013, 05:00:08 AM »

Your thoughts and ideas of game design are quite intriguing. I like the idea of a serial killer, would be cool to find out that in the end you are the serial killer, like the main character of  Fight Club , and you was chasing yourself.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:28:49 AM by Satori4 » Logged

@satori4
Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2013, 07:20:48 AM »

Thanks jO! Im really trying to make a title that looks as AAA as an indie 'one man show' can. :D

Satori4, I love the idea of self fulfilling prophesies, and Fight Club'esque twists in stories, so I would definitely have some sort of cleverness to the serial killer motif.

It would be a little difficult to have the 'you did it' twist in a game like the one I have in mind, but you can certainly play it up with lots of turns in the story.
Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »

I sometimes take a break from vivisections, rotting corpses, and the cold hard floors of The Groomlake to indulge either my artistic, or game designer side. Here are a few examples of previous side projects I’ve done. My general rule is to not allow them more than 3 days, with the exception of 1KL, which was a 2 week process (but involved actually making a fully playable tech demo…so it was time well spent!).

http://www.stasisgame.com/stasis-infinite/

These side projects are honestly some of my favorite things to do, and things that I think many people really appreciate. It, in a strange way, actually focuses me MORE on STASIS by letting me step back for a few nights and just let my imagination run wild.
Of course, with BIOSHOCK being a massive influence on STASIS, I could not ignore the awesome world that Irrational Games has created with BIOSHOCK: Infinite.
Although I have not played the game (seriously, I’m HORRIBLE at finishing games. I haven’t even gotten to the planet yet in Dead Space 3), I delved into the story by watching Lets Plays, and reading up on all of the theories that went into it. Although, the thing that interested me most was the city of Collumbia! And naturally, it needed some ‘Isometricing’, because all games would look better in 2D Isometric.
So, I present to you: STASIS – INFINITE!

-Chris
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2013, 11:35:17 PM »

BEST
EVER
Addicted

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:57 AM »

OH WOW, that's stunning Crazy

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2013, 05:46:08 AM »

I gets kinda boring just constantly posting that it looks amazing, but...

Looks amazing!

EDIT: And now I just found your Blade Runner homage. Please make this game after Stasis!

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2013, 05:12:28 AM »

Looks amazing!

EDIT: And now I just found your Blade Runner homage. Please make this game after Stasis!

After Stasis Im going to take a break and play a shit-ton of games that I have bought and haven't had a chance to play!
But after that....hmmm...
Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2013, 07:23:55 AM »

http://www.stasisgame.com/stasis-and-kickstarter/

This post has been a long time coming, but I figured it was finally time to throw it into the wild…
One of the questions I get asked most often (ok, second most-the first being ‘When is Stasis going to finished), is:
WHY ISN’T STASIS ON KICKSTARTER?
I think that Kickstarter is a wonderful platform, and I avidly follow quite a few of the projects that have gone up. Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment, and Broken Age are my staples, along with a few smaller ones.
But even these projects seem to be running into issues-and these are projects with multitudes of experience behind them.
ISSUE 1
One of the big issues, and one that I think is one of the most important ones, its keeping the community updated on your progress. A big selling point in these projects, and any project on Kickstarter, is that you get to see the project emerging-see how the sausage is made. Now while thats a really cool idea for the gamer who loves these things, its a very difficult thing for the developer.
I personally feel that I announced STASIS way too early. The truth is that I never thought it would be a large project, so didnt see the harm in showing it off in its early states. If I look back at this blog, a TON of time has gone into the blog posts, talking about various aspects of the game, whats happening in the background, why I do what I do. Now this has been beinifial in some way, I think that I can be hurtful in others.
For a game that relies on STORY as one of its major selling points, to have 2 years of stuff talking about the game, without mentioning the story, is VERY difficult. But see-because I view this blog as my personal thing, Im not bound to talk about the game. There are quite a few posts here about…well..other things. Articles I like, other games, and other random ideas. These other projects have to have a media communication plan that’s SPECIFICALLY TAILORED TO THE PROJECT, WITHOUT GIVING AWAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION. And they have to update OFTEN, because this is part of what the backers pay for. This adds in an extra layer of complexity to an already complex situation, and one that I wouldnt want to find myself in.
If you go dark, and have a media blackout, your backers will (rightfully) complain. If you update too often, you are going to start to dilute the games content in the minds of the players. Now with the RPG’s mentioned, this is a little easier, because the idea with an RPG is to create enough tools and rules in the game to let the player craft the story-but in a much more linear game (like STASIS, or Broken Age), its almost impossible. Im surprised that Double Fine actually managed to go for almost a year before even announcing the name of the game, and a screenshot. And people were starting to notice it, and getting agitated with them for being so scant on aspects of the game. Which brings me to issue 2….
ISSUE 2
People are mean, and artists are sensitive! Ask ANY artist if they enjoy showing people unfinished work, and they will say NO. Unless they are sadists.
Reading the comments and discussions of things like the first WASTELAND 2 screen, or the Torment locations, or the PE level prototype makes me shiver. Complaints about there not being dust on the footsteps, too much blur in the back grounds, ladders not being properly scaled….these are things that can be a bit of a crushing experience for artists, specifically when they KNOW that its not something that’s complete.
Ive been quite lucky, in that the reactions to the screenshots and videos of STASIS has been pretty good-but that’s because everything I release, I release on MY schedule. I release them because they are complete. I’ve done my internal QA, external QA, double and triple checked everything, and when things aren’t correct, thrown them out and started over. There are actually about 3 game play videos that I haven’t released, because I just didn’t like 1 or 2 things with them. Thats the power of NO EXTERNAL PRESSURE.
ISSUE 3
Lets say STASIS goes on Kickstarter, and I raise $100 000,00. That means, that, before I even release the game, I’m $100 000.00 in debt. I have to give away $100 000.00 of product ON THE DAY I LAUNCH. Now, I know that people have the ‘but without the money you wouldn’t have a product’, and that’s a very fair, and true argument. But the problem with an Adventure Game, is that the market IS small.
The RPG projects have a much wider appeal, and I have NO doubt that they will double, triple, or even make 10 fold what they have put into it. But a smaller Adventure Game like STASIS? I have high hopes for the sales, and concrete plans for what the money I make from STASIS will go into-but I would hate to, at the end of a grueling few years of work, come out with giving away all of the product that I would have ever sold, and starting from square 1. I know thats its a worst case scenario-but the truth is that its a possibility-and on that I need to be very mindful of.
Thats why I don’t think that Stretch Goals are a very good idea. I understand WHY they are there, but I think that the feature bloat they cause, and spending money that you don’t have, isn’t the best way of getting out an ALREADY incredibly complex product.
Looking at Broken Age, the initial budget for that was $400 000,00, with the final funding coming in at almost 8 times that. It would have been better for them to stick with the original goal, and had enough money from that game alone to create another 8 games! Or 4 larger games. or 1 big game and a sequel! Instead, the entire budget, again of money they technically dont have, has been put into ONE SINGLE PRODUCT.
ISSUE 4.
I’m not employed. If I got a large influx of cash, I couldn’t really quite my job and work on STASIS full time, because I own the company. Its a company that my brother an I built from the ground up over a decade. I have many other lives that are dependent on me to be here every day. Because of the worries of ISSUE 3, I couldn’t go at this full time. Not yet at least.
ISSUE 5,
STASIS IS MY KICKSTARTER. I have a goal in mind for how many sales STASIS has to make for me to go into full time Game Development. Make no mistake, that is the end goal. I want STASIS to be the beginning of that journey. I want to create an awesome game, that people will love-and use that foundation to do the same again and again and again. I don’t want people to buy into the promise of future things-because those are fleeting at best, and gut wrenching when they fail.
IN CLOSING…
I think that Kickstarter is a wonderful idea, and I know without it we wouldn’t have some truly incredible projects coming up in the next 48 months…but its not for me, or STASIS.
-Chris
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »

sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders bro. Tiger

Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2013, 12:22:20 AM »

http://www.stasisgame.com/screenshots-engineering-deck/

Hey my loyal cryogenically frozen fans!
I know I've been quite lately, but rest assured I have been toiling away below decks. I recently finished a large chapter in the game, so wanted to show off an area (or 2).  The still screenshots don’t do these scenes justice…the shadows move as the lights swing, particles float through the air, and the sounds of the empty bowels of the ship echo through the engineering decks.
Its pretty darned cool!

-Chris
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2013, 03:29:37 AM »

Amazing!  Addicted
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2013, 05:04:57 AM »

Beautiful! Keep going!  Hand Clap

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »

Thanks guys! I actually just spent the other night playing the game.
Not to brag, but its really coming along nicely. Better than I hoped. Wink
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »

All these screenshots are incredible!  Kiss
Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2013, 11:12:46 PM »

This isn’t going to be a major post, but just a small piece of advice to all developers out there. I know it seems simple and obvious, but take time out of development to just play your game.

Set up what you think would be the ideal environment to play the game. If its a PC Game, turn off the lights, put in some headphones, and play it. If you see a bug, don’t mark it down, or make a note of it. Just play through. Enjoy your game-enjoy your work.

Its a very surreal experience to have your game be at a point where you can see what others will get out of it…feel what other people will feel when they first load it up. Of course, its never going to be a pure experience, because all you can see are the flaws-but try to get it as close as possible.

Creating games is such a huge amalgamation of talent and skill-its an art form that involves the technical and the artistic coming together in a way that no other product does. And if you are involved in it, its something to be proud of .

Be proud of it.

GENERAL UPDATE

I’ve been slaving away at getting a fully playable portion of the game done for testing and display purposes. Who will actually GET to test the game, or WHERE it will be displayed are entirely different things!
REZZED.
I was invited to REZZED, and set a deadline for a playable demo of the game-but due to VISA and financial limitations, I’ve had to skip this year-but I will definitely try for next year-if not to display anything, just to experience it. But I decided to stick with the deadline of a fully playable, very large chunk of the game to be complete by that date.

EXPERIENCES.

I’ve also been going through the game, and adding what I’ve come to internally call ‘experiences’. I know…very buzz-wordy. These are small snippets of action elements in the game that are in to break up the slower periods of pure puzzle-solving-exploration-goodness.
Now these aren’t things that require quick reflexes, and sort of ‘run and gun’ elements, and you can literally pass them just by clicking on the correct areas, but I’ve found that they really add a ton to the pacing of the game. To have these small bursts of energy really makes the slower, tenser parts of the game feel much…well, tenser.
They also look pretty bad-ass in action, and while they take a LONG time to set up, for a relatively ‘small’ (in game time) reward, they really do push the game up a level in awesome. I think that these are the parts that you will really remember when thinking about the game after you finish.

CINEMATICS.

I’ve been working hard on the cinematics of the game as well, and using them to join sections of the game in some pretty cool end exciting ways. Its mostly for the ‘travelling’ sections of the game, where I want to add in something different to make you feel like you are really moving large distances. I’ve realised that a 30 second cinematic is as effective in conveying time and distance, as 3 minutes of gameplay dedicated to the same thing.

MATTE PAINTING.

This weekend, Im going to be doing some Mattes of The Groomlake for the cinematics, inspired by those amazing shots of The Event Horizon as it sinks into Neptune’s gaseous atmosphere.

-Chris
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2013, 05:07:16 PM »

Awesome, great to see you're still going on this!  I also appreciate that the action elements won't require quick reflexes, that always felt rather jarring about most adventures that try to incorporate combat.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »

www.stasisgame.com

I know that I have been promising a big new update, and let it never be said that I don’t deliver on my promises!

My brother has been hard at work over the past few weeks crafting this incredible new site.

Take a look around the site, and please let me know what you think! I’ve also updated all the game info, as well as putting up several new screenshots!

And, one of the biggest updates is (of course), on the 28′th of October, both Greenlight AND Kickstarter campaigns will go live! The next few weeks will be very exciting, with new screens, videos, and game information!

I also want to take this moment to thank EVERYONE for the support that STASIS has been given. I read EVERY comment, and browse through a lot of forums to read what you guys are saying about this little child of mine. I couldn’t have come this far if it wasn’t for the incredible support that you guys and gals have shown me. As a small thank you, I want to give away this awesome Wallpaper, showing you the main ‘release art’ of STASIS.

Chris Bischoff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2013, 07:13:51 AM »

Sorry! Forgot to update with the new screens!

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »

As always the art you're producing just blows everything away. The environments are so rich, they feel so genuine and completely alien at the same time.

Your work is always an inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic