Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:26:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl- The Golden Knight [DONE]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl- The Golden Knight [DONE]  (Read 59637 times)
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »

OOHHHHH, YEAH!!!

Portrait-
-Kovski

Sprites- (If the author isn't listed, it was Kovski's work.)
Idle- -Kovski
Idle with Bonesaw- -Kovski
Walking- -Undertech, Kovski
Walking with Bonesaw-
Jumping- -Kovski
Jumping with Bonesaw-
Hurt- -Kovski
Hurt with Bonesaw-
Throwing- -Kovski
Throwing With Bonesaw-
Punching twice- -Kovski
Swinging Bonesaw twice-
Uppercut- -Kovski
Uppercut with Bonesaw-
Jump Kick- -Kovski
Charging Bonesaw swipe (GK jumps forward, cuts, then lands)-
Downward hockey stick smash- -Kovski
Downward Bonesaw smash-
Thrown hockey stick- -Kovski
Absorb-
Absorb with Bonesaw-
Entering Bonesaw Mode- -Kovski
Hockey stick whirlwind- -Kovski
Bonesaw whirlwind-
Hockey stick spin- -Kovski
Bonesaw spin-

Stats-
GK is a little slower and heavier than other characters, although he is still a pretty good jumper. His attacks are a bit slow, but pretty powerful. Every time he does damage, his Bonesaw meter increases by an amount equal to the damage dealt. He can also absorb projectiles to rapidly fill the Bonesaw meter. Once the meter is full (at 50 points), he can enter Bonesaw mode. This alters his move list, making his attacks stronger and unblockable. While in Bonesaw mode, the Bonesaw meter slowly drains.

Move List:
A- Double Punch- Two quick punches. The first stuns the enemy and the second knocks him back.

>A- Charging Kick- Jump forward and deliver a kick with high knockback.

^A- Uppercut- Leap upwards and knock enemies into the air.

vA- Stick Smash- Pound the enemy with your hockey stick. A powerful attack.

S- Cutter Attack- Throw hockey stick like a boomarang.

>S- Hockey Assault- Move forwards, spinning like a tornado and hitting all nearby enemies with your hockey stick. Some start-up time.

^S- Stick Spin- Leap into the air and spin your hockey stick in a circle, damaging enemies in all directions.

vS- Charge Bonesaw- Absorbs missiles to charge Bonesaw meter.

Move List in Bonesaw Mode:
A- Double Cut- Two quick strikes with the Bonesaw. Massive damage.

>A- Charging Slash- Leap forwards, attacking in the middle of the jump.

^A- Uppercut Slash- Covers much greater distance at a faster speed, and has better reach.

vA- Bonesaw Smash- Also sends a shockwave forward.

S- Cutter Attack- Throw hockey stick like a boomarang.

>S- Bonesaw Assault- A stronger version of Hockey Assault.

^S- Bonesaw Storm- Covers a much larger area and deals more damage.

vS- Charge Bonesaw- Absorbs missiles to charge Bonesaw meter. The Golden Knight can also charge the Bonesaw by damaging opponents. Once the Bonesaw meter reaches 50 points, this attack can be used to enter Bonesaw mode. This allows the Golden Knight to use Bonesaw attacks instead.

Original Moves List:
A: standard attack.
^A: standard high swipe.
vA: standard low attack.
>A: moving kick. Movement is locked while kicking (so be careful near ledges!)
A (In air): Spinning kick.

S: Cutter attack. GK throws a hockey stick a short distance like a boomerang.
^S: Uppercut. Can be used in air for an aerial boost.
vS: Charge Bonesaw. Basically, GK (golden knight) stops for a moment, and any projectile attacks used against him during this time are absorbed and fill up his "bonesaw meter".
>S: slasher attack. Short charge time, and then GK releases a short range, high power attack using a hockey stick.
S (Bonesaw meter is full): Bonesaw throw! GK throws the bonesaw like a boomerang! The attack would be similar to the usual cutter throw, but with increased damage and damage radius.
>S (Bonesaw meter is full): Bonesaw assault! GK swings the bonesaw in the direction he is facing, dealing absurd damage  to anybody close by. It would have a short charge time.

I think the Golden Knight would make a good "Anti-projectile" character. Using the vS charge, he could absorb attacks and then release the bonesaw to mess up enemies. Feel free to critique stats/attacks. These are just basic estimates I made, so if balancing is a problem, tell me how. I would like to submit others as well!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:32:53 PM by Soulliard » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »

Looks great. It would be awesome if we could get the exact same animation and sound effects for the Bonesaw. Not sure about the neutral S though. I think it would be better to make Slasher an actual attack, rather than something you charge up and then use with A. How about this:
- S neutral becomes the button for Cutter/Bonesaw wave.
- S> becomes a Slasher attack that has a medium windup but a heavy impact if it connects.
- It's been a while since I played Bonesaw but IIRC there was another attack unique to the Bonesaw as well as the shockwave. Slasher could be replaced by this attack when the Bonesaw is charged. This would give it nice symmetry because both Cutter and Slasher are replaced by Bonesaw moves.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:12:08 AM »

I like that idea. edit'd.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 07:21:06 AM »

Weight 2 is really low (on par with Juni and Lyle). I envision the Golden Knight having a weight of 4. He seems like a heavyweight. Plus, as a general rule, weight should be about 1/10 the number of hp.

2 other concerns:
As written, he could not use the cutter attack while the bonesaw meter is full. It would probably be better if the bonesaw meter strengthened the knight's attacks, rather than replaced them.

His A attacks seem pretty lackluster. There's no reason he couldn't use his hockey stick as a standard attack (like Link used his sword in SSB).

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »

Hmmm, thank you for the feedback. I put weight as two just because he can jump so high in the air WTF.

I dunno about the bonesaw use, though. Maybe one of his S attacks would be activating bonesaw, which would make all his attacks stronger? Then after a certain amount of time, it would disappear again. That would be more in keeping with Bonesaw: the Game.

Wait, here's an idea: instead of sending out a shockwave, GK could throw the bonesaw like the cutter. That way the effect is the same as before, but the bonesaw power is used as well. Edit'd.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »

Now that I think about it, there should be other ways for the Golden Knight to charge his Bonesaw, in case he goes up against an enemy that doesn't use projectiles. For example, his Bonesaw meter could rise a little with each successful attack.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the Golden Knight would make an awesome character. At the very least, he will fit nicely into the size gap between Turner and Balrog.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »

The only reason I'm making his charge move projectile-only is because this game is beginning to look like it will be focused somewhat on ranged attacks. I agree with allowing more methods of charging bonesaw, but I'm wondering how to keep it from being totally over-powered. I figure there should  be at least some difficulty in getting it filled.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:47:38 PM »

Here's my idea for a movelist, borrowing heavily from the original post and the game in question:

Note: The Bonesaw meter can be charged in two ways. If you damage an enemy, the meter increases by a number equal to the damage dealt. If you block a missile with vS, the meter increases by triple the damage you would have normally received. Once the meter is full (at 100 points), you can enter Bonesaw mode with vS. While the Bonesaw is activated, you lose 20 points per second, until you reach 0 points and the Bonesaw disappears. While in Bonesaw mode, your attacks are all unblockable, and may receive additional upgrades (knocked with (B)).

A - Double Punch - Two quick punches. The first stuns the enemy and the second knocks him back.
A(B) - Double Cut - Strike twice with the bonesaw. Much higher damage and better reach.

>A - Charging Kick - Jump forward and deliver a kick with high knockback.
>A(B) - Charging Slash - The attack also creates a shockwave sent straight forwards.

^A - Uppercut - Leap upwards and knock enemies into the air.
^A(B) - Uppercut Slash - Covers much greater distance at a faster speed, and has better reach.

vA - Stick Smash - Pound the enemy with your hockey stick. A powerful attack.
vA(B) - Bonesaw Smash - Also sends a shockwave forward.

S - Cutter Attack - Throw hockey stick like a boomarang.
S(B) - Bonesaw Throw - Throw bonesaw like a boomarang. Does much more damage.

>S - Slasher Attack - Move forwards, spinning like a tornado and hitting all nearby enemies with your hockey stick. Some start-up time.
>S(B) - Bonesaw Assault - Also sends shockwaves in both directions.

^S - Sweeper Attack - Leap into the air and spin your hockey stick in a circle, damaging enemies in all directions.
^S(B) - Bonesaw Storm - Covers a much larger area and deals more damage.

vS - Charge Bonesaw - Used to enter Bonesaw mode when meter is full. Also absorbs projectiles to fill Bonesaw meter.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:17:39 PM by Nightshade » Logged

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 11:24:24 PM »

This is all good stuff! :D
Corpus
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »

So, just to clarify, the Golden Knight is the player character from Bonesaw? (Or am I completely misunderstanding?)
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »

It is, indeed
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 04:11:27 PM »

>S - Sweeper Attack - Leap into the air and spin your hockey stick in a circle, damaging enemies in all directions.
>S(B) - Bonesaw Storm - Covers a much larger area and deals more damage.

I'm hoping you mean ^S for these two? They're air attacks and >S is already taken. Just pointing that out  Tongue
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »

You haven't played the game, have you? It's not so much a leap as a foot high jump.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »

Who was that directed at? Remember that we're not going to follow super exact attack lists to make the character. The main point to remember is that the golden knight is a no-frills hockey-brawler. As long as whacks shit with his hockey sticks, I doubt he would even be able to stray that far from the game he stars in.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »

I'm hoping you mean ^S for these two? They're air attacks and >S is already taken. Just pointing that out  Tongue
That's correct.

You haven't played the game, have you? It's not so much a leap as a foot high jump.
I have (though I haven't gotten much further than the first boss, yet). I don't think that attack boosts you upwards at all in the original game. But for Indie Brawl, making it a third jump is more interesting and useful.

Corpus
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 09:50:45 AM »

Is it cool if I try my hand at a Golden Knight sprite?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »

Absolutely. Just try to keep it in the same style and size as the other sprites.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:20:28 AM by Nightshade » Logged

Corpus
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 03:06:45 AM »

Naturalleh.
Corpus
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 11:48:53 AM »

Whelp! I did my best to stick to the style (I even lifted his left hand's shape from one of the other sprites, heh). Obviously, the Golden Knight in Bonesaw is pretty lo-res, so I had to take some artistic license and also moved it towards a picture I found of the hockey team's strip on their website.

I also made one with the outline extending around the top of his left hand to make it stand out more:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:54:27 AM by Corpus » Logged
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »

Kiss

Maybe a bit thinner, though. I would expect him to be slightly wider than Naija. That's really good, though!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic