Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:27:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Nikujin [DONE]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Nikujin [DONE]  (Read 90061 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »

I want to start a topic for everyone's favourite naked ninja (unless you count Tekkyuman as a ninja, I guess. He would be good too, but I think Nikujin is more popular.)
I see Nikujin as a fast running, fast jumping, fast attacking character who clocks up damage with light attacks, mostly close-range but a few projectiles, all the while dodging the enemy more than blocking. The lightness of his attacks means he has few options to KO, though, so he must often rely on his most powerful move, the dreaded head-stab, which can easily KO once the enemy is at a high damage %. Nikujin has relatively low health and shield stats, so he must rely on dodging and avoidance.

Portrait

Sprites
Idle - Nightshade, Inane, Xion
Walking - Rostiger, Radnom
Jumping - Rostiger
Hurt - Rostiger
Throwing - Hayif, Boyd
Wall Grabbing - Lucaz, Rostiger
Sword Swing - Lucaz, Rostiger
Through Slash - Soulliard, Rostiger
Through Slash Trail - godsavant
Upwards Slash - Rostiger
Flipping Downwards Slash - Rostiger
Low Slash - Rostiger
Spear Spin - Rostiger
Shuriken Throw - Rostiger
Wall Run- Soulliard, Rostiger
Head Stab - Rostiger, Arachne
Guarding

Statistics
Nikujin has somewhat low health, though he compensates for this with extremely quick speed, excellent jumping abilities, and the ability to grab walls. His attacks are powerful and fast.

Move List
A- Katana - Slashes with his katana just like in the original game. Tap repeatedly for a 3-hit combo. Fairly light damage, but quick.

>A- Through Slash- Slides a short way across the ground and slashes once, extremely fast, in the middle of the slide.

^A- Rising Slash- A strong upward slash.

vA- Crouch Slash- Slashes the ground in front of him, tripping opponents and setting them up for further attacks.

vA (aerial)- Flip Slash- A quick, spinning downward slash.

S- Shuriken- Similar to the shurikens used by purple ninjas in the game. A quick horizontal projectile. Tap repeatedly for a 3-hit combo.

>S- Spear Barrage- Gets out a spear, the same as used by the green ninjas in the original game. This takes a few frames of warmup. Once the spear is out, he performs a blisteringly fast slashing combo, replicating the one in the original, of course. If the opponent is trapped in the combo it quickly racks up damage. If they avoid it, however, Nikujin is rather prone to a counterattack.

^S- Air Run- Similar to his original wall-run, but can be performed in the air. If it hits an enemy, though, Nikujin runs on them, hitting them repeatedly while dragging them upward with him. This could be useful to force low-lying characters high into the air where they don't want to be. If Air Run is used on a wall, Nikujin will wall-run and go significantly further than he would in the air. If he traps an enemy between himself and the wall, he can drag them up the wall, and thus score more hits on them.

vS- Head Stab- When used on the ground, Nikujin hops forwards before performing the attack. When used in the air, Nikujin dashes downward a medium distance with his sword out. If he hits an enemy, he stabs into their head. They freeze for a split second, and then Nikujin flips backward and his opponent takes a nasty amount of damage. Also note that if Nikujin has used his second jump and/or his Air Run, he gets them back after using Head Stab. This is in keeping with the 'head stab jump' of the original game.

Original Move List
A: Katana. Slashes with his katana just like in the original game. Tap repeatedly for a combo. Fairly light damage, but quick. An interesting feature of this attack is that it retains some of the character's momentum, making it a little 'slippery'.

A>:Through Slash. Slides a short way across the ground and slashes once, extremely fast, in the middle of the slide. With good timing, you can slide past an opponent while hitting them and then follow through with a strike from behind.

A^:Rising Slash. A pair of quick overhead slashes while rising slightly into the air. Can be used to hold off enemies above.

Adown: Crouch Slash. Crouches and slashes twice in front of him, low to the ground. Changes his hitbox for a moment, which makes it good for countering other, higher attacks.

Air: Air Slash. A simple aerial slash, similar to the ground katana, but cannot lead into a combo.

Air^: Collection Slash. Dashes upward a short way with sword pointing downward, ready to slash. If it hits an enemy, the two are bound together for a moment (think Captain Falcon's upB) as Nikujin slashes them three times. Multiple enemies can be caught if they are close together. If no enemies are hit, the slashes never happen, meaning you can also use it as a very short air-jump to confuse/avoid opponents.

Air>: Spinning Slash. Leaps sideways in a short, low arc, spinning around with his sword out for multiple hits.

Airdown: Ninja Kick. Kicks downward repeatedly for a fast combo, similar to Kirby's airdown. If the enemy hits the ground, the combo ends, but if the characters are high enough that the combo can run its course, then it finishes with a nasty slash for good measure.

S: Shuriken. Similar to the shurikens used by purple ninjas in the game. A quick horizontal projectile. By holding down S, you can 'stack' shurikens similar to Shiek's needles. When you release the shurikens, they fly almost simultaneously and on a slightly different angle from each other(only around 1 degree). Like Shiek's needles, the stacked shurikens are held until you throw them, even if you move around. This move can also be used while wall-clinging.

S>: Spear Barrage. Gets out a spear, the same as used by the green ninjas in the original game. This takes a few frames of warmup. Once the spear is out, he performs a blisteringly fast slashing combo, replicating the one in the original, of course. If the opponent is trapped in the combo it quickly racks up damage. If they avoid it, however, Nikujin is rather prone to a counterattack. He can cancel the combo by blocking, but this doesn't come into effect immediately. If this hits an enemy in the air, both characters will fall quickly to the ground as the combo goes off.

S^:Air Run. Similar to his original wall-run, but can be performed in the air. Basically a third jump with good air control. If it hits an enemy, though, Nikujin runs on them, hitting them repeatedly while dragging them upward with him. This could be useful to force low-lying characters high into the air where they don't want to be. For example the Dwarf would be wary of this move since two of his specials don't work in the air. If Air Run is used on a wall, Nikujin will wall-run and go significantly further than he would in the air. If he traps an enemy between himself and the wall, he can drag them up the wall, and thus score more hits on them.

Sdown: Head Stab. When used on the ground, it does nothing. When used in the air, Nikujin dashes downward a medium distance with his sword out. If he hits an enemy, he stabs into their head. The game freezes for a split second, and then Nikujin flips backward and his opponent takes a nasty amount of damage. Also note that if Nikujin has used his second jump and/or his Air Run, he gets them back after using Head Stab. This is in keeping with the 'head stab jump' of the original game. This makes it perfect to use like a Meteor Smash. (A Meteor Smash is a SSB term meaning an attack that strikes straight down, used for KOing an opponent as they try to recover. Head Stab is not a true Meteor Smash because it doesn't go straight down, but it can be used in the same way.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:34:29 PM by Soulliard » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »

Well now I look more closely it seems like we're not doing a full set of aerial attacks, at least not yet. Feel free to ignore the aerials I came up with.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »

What do you mean? This sounds aweseome.  Kiss

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:54:40 PM »

I assumed unspecified aerials would be either the same as the grounnd attack or none at all.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »

SSB has different moves for each direction in the air, but I think to start with, it might be a good idea to forget about that and just make aerials the same as ground moves, with a few exceptions such as Curly's Machine Gun. We can always add in the aerials later.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 08:37:51 PM »

Dude, seriously, drop the SSB comparisons. It doesn't have to be the same.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 08:43:23 PM »

SSB is a good comparison, and a fairly good basepoint.
Start with what works well already and make it our own from there.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »

It is a dilemma that I have considered, how much we want to rely on SSB as inspiration. I wouldn't worry too much though. With the simplified aerials and more ranged attacks, it's already seeming to differentiate itself from SSB to a certain extent, while following a similar overall style.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 10:14:46 PM »

I believe it should only be used when it's easier to explain something as "like blah blah in SSB" rather then "That won't work unless it's like blah blah in SSB"

PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 01:51:21 AM »

I believe it should only be used when it's easier to explain something as "like blah blah in SSB" rather then "That won't work unless it's like blah blah in SSB"
I agree.

This is probably because I hate SSB:B. Maybe I didn't have enough Nintendo nostalgia to enjoy it. What will all the unlocking, and the slightly floaty movement, and the fact that everything is affected by the RNG in some way, and the fact that you have to unlock most of the characters, and the fact the 90% of the stages have some sort of confusing instant kill effect on them, but it doesn't tell you which ones, so you'll end up playing on them on your first few times through.

But yeah. If you can expain something by comparing it to SSB, do so. It's easier for everyone. Just don't reskin SSB.

And I'm 100% sure that we are using health bars.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 04:47:47 AM »

And I'm 100% sure that we are using health bars.

OK, I changed some things in the description to reflect that, mostly just crossing stuff out, but I also made his S^ actually do damage. I figure in SSB, it's acceptable to have a third-jump-attack that does no damage (ex. Lucario, Olimar, etc). But with the traditional health-bar style, it's just going to be annoying and make people not want to use that move. So yeah, now he wallruns all over yo' face.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 07:33:12 AM »

Idle Sprite:

By the way, this looks amazing. Only issue I see is that weight may be a bit low (2 is child-sized, and 1 is small animal-sized).

By the way, with my engine, wall-jumping is now possible. I view the Naked Ninja as among the most acrobatic characters in the game, so I think it would be perfectly fitting for him to regain his double jump and third jump after wall-jumping or head-stabbing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:56:35 AM by Nightshade » Logged

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »

Mein edit:
If we go with that one we still need an animation again. (Let's force Xion to do all the idles since he's a master at it)

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 10:16:49 PM »

He's missing an important part of his lower anatomy.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »

He's missing an important part of his lower anatomy.
So is the source material.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 11:41:39 PM »

I like Nightshade's idle sprite better, so I put that in the first post.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »

I quite like Inane's sprite, but we need to be careful not to make the sprites too detailed. Each sprite needs to go through at least two dozen animations, and if the animation is too daunting, it will probably never get done.

That's why I went for a simpler style (like Oracle's). Since there are only two shades of each color, making new animations should be a breeze- and it fits in better with the overall graphical style (compare it to Turner, Naija and Quote).

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 01:56:48 PM »

Not as flamboyant as Naija's.

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 03:13:02 PM »

The chest seems too move a tad too much. The hand's perfect though  Beer!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »

I think this one's better:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic