Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1065061 Posts in 43445 Topics- by 35463 Members - Latest Member: SnailsBrokeMyHeart

November 20, 2014, 12:36:09 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesNobody Shooter [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Nobody Shooter [FINISHED]  (Read 26333 times)
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:04:03 AM »

What?
  • A small Demake of the first level of 'Everyday Shooter' in Game Boy style.
  • Gameplay: Short, nervous area shooter action.
  • Arcade: It's mainly about making highscore.
  • Features generative chiptune sounds, but no real music yet (my skills are too limited here, sorry, i'm still learning...)

Play?
  • Use the ARROW keys to move and the W-S-A-D keys to shoot.
  • Try to collect as many points as you can.
  • You can move the window by grabbing it with the mouse on the upper border.

Tech?
  • OS: Windows XP (not sure if it works under Vista, please let me know).
  • Graphics: Standard OpenGL (emulated 160x144x4).
  • Audio: DirectSound (emulated 4bit/11025Hz).
  • Net: Has a net highscore again (gimmick: the table deletes itself automatically every month).
  • CPU: CAUTION: Requires a rather new computer (>1.5GHz?), it's completely unoptimized code.

Bugs?
  • In rare cases, after several tests, my system suddenly freezed when i quitted the game... please let me know if you encounter similar problems. CAUTION: Save all open files before playing my game!

Misc?
  • This is my second (almost) finished game. I try to teach myself some stuffs right now, but i'm still on the lowest level though...
  • Nice to have these compos! Deadlines are such good thing to have Smiley

Enjoy! Beer!

If the other download fails, here the game as attachment...

log:

[2014-04]
source released
https://github.com/0rel/NobodyShooter

[2008-09-07]
final version released. files updated.

[2008-09-06]
vsync bug fixed. files updated.

[2008-09-02]
Nobody Shooter beta released.

[2008-08-03]
temporary title: Midnight Shooter Nobody Shooter
temporary concept: 'Everyday Shooter' demake in GameBoy style without guitars but funky quirky chiptune sounds.

Good luck everybody!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:21:14 AM by 0rel » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:36:35 AM »

I like where this thread is going.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Miya
Level 0

Wtf was that?

buiiki.kaesu@gmail.com riotmachine7
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:38:39 AM »

I enjoy this idea.  Beer!
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:42:12 AM »

edit: moved
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:21:28 AM by 0rel » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

afroman5k@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:48:22 AM »

Misc?
  • This is my second (almost) finished game. I try to teach myself some stuffs right now, but i'm still on the lowest level though...

Shocked

You mean ZicZac was your first game ever? Wow. Now I feel all... inadequate.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:36:28 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:59:49 AM »

hey Gainsworthy!
...you know, i started coding quite a long time ago and made some tools, basic experients with graphics/sound and stuff, but never games... - but now i really want to make some! i always wanted to, but was probably always too cautious to admit it Wink
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:05:42 AM »

i tried to dload , and its 0 kb Sad

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:19:52 AM »

i've added it as attachment, just in case the download fails again...
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 04:24:52 AM »

hmm - sorry still 0kb. Could you zip it perhaps? (maybe its a firewall thing)

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:32 AM »

updated...
the attachment is now a zip file.
hope it works,
but please don't expect too much, it's just a very very small shooter... Smiley
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

afroman5k@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:41:14 AM »

Ah, a coder, but not a game-maker. Righteo. Makes a little more sense  Smiley.

You seem to have a knack for making games- this is similarly brilliant to ZicZac. Particularly difficult and twitchy, but it has a real sense of weight and speed to it - which is, in my opinion, critical in a shooter. So, yeah, feels good, looks awesome and distinct, and has a nice sense of reward in the challenge. Short, but well de-made! Though, you do have some good source material. Nobody Shooter is an nice choice of name, too.

Also, why do you always put down your music? I feel the "generative chippy stuff" works very nicely with the feel of your games.

Oh, and finally, just figured out that your name is Zero-Relative! I always read it as "Oh-Rell." Though, I still will. I'm still trying to figure out the numbers plastered all over your site.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 04:46:38 AM »

yeah that worked - ta! fun game, more levels please  Beer!

1376 best score so far...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:57:12 AM by moogled » Logged

muku
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 04:47:31 AM »

Hey, this is fun. It also works under Win2k, BTW. And I like the sound/music.

One complaint I have is that the things you are supposed to pick up look too similar to the bullets which will hurt you if you don't pay attention, so it's sometimes confusing.

The Cosyne Synthesis Engine - realtime music synthesis for games
Blueberry
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 04:48:12 AM »

Gosh, this is hard.
I finally beat it on my #10+ try. Have struggled so hard it was very comforting to find that it said 'Very Good" in flashing text. All games should do that. Grin

The simulated Gameboy pixels were gorgeous, but I thought playfield was too cluttred and that gameplay suffered from that.

I feel happy after playing your game!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 05:08:22 AM by Blueberry » Logged
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 05:14:02 AM »

NICE! 
For some reason I kept thinking the points were shots I had to avoid, even though I still play Everyday Shooter.  My only complaint is that it would be even better if my gamepad worked with it.

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 08:23:10 AM »

Awesome! Very polished and fun. I've never played Everyday Shooter, but this was very cool. The only thing that bugged me is the window wasn't centered on the screen, and alt + enter doesn't make it full screen, just centered with a background. (But that's just preference). Great work! Beer!
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »

Gainsworthy,
thanks for the motivating words.
yea, i'm mainly a coder, but from the moment on, i decided to make games, i wasn't too happy about it anymore... that's also the reason why i'm not really content with the music in the game, compared to what 'Everyday Shooter' did. i had to find out that it is quite difficult to make interesting interactive sounds, wich should feel like playing music... - but on the graphical side, i was quite happy about Game Boy's low specs. here, it luckily wasn't so hard to adapt the simple shapes of 'Everyday Shooter'.
btw: ...i try from now on to focus more on the mood and figurative graphics, cause pure coder art isn't really what i personally like in games. but it is sometimes very difficult to be the grey, cold-hearted coder, and then switch to an other, more "intuitive mode" (this is coder speech :] ), when i want to draw something, for example...
for the names 'Nobody Shooter' and '0rel', it's a similar thing. they have two sides, both are right, but they are still very different. i like that, it fits for me...

@website: yea, i should make that website since ages. - i probably do it after the next game Smiley. maybe i will then publish there that realtime audio-synth lib i'm currently trying around with. but without good docs in proper english it won't be very usefull for others, i guess... we'll see.

moogled,
woooh,,, 1376!?!

that's a pretty impressive score, man!
i don't now exactly how much i got after the last change (i made it longer in the last minute), but i think, that's really something! we will have hard times to beat that Wink

muku,
good to hear that it works under Win2k too, that's very useful info for me.. i would like to know if Vista eats it as well, it probably should, cause i tried to use only basic Win32 API stuff in the window handling.

Blueberry,
hahah... :D
i'm happy to hear that!

i know, it's probably a bit too hard, but i wanted that it needs some training, like in 'Everyday Shooter' too, before you can beat it...
maybe i should still decrease the enemy count a bit again, especially in the beginning. the initial idea was to increase the enemy count continually till the end, actually the program should do that like it is now, but it isn't very noticable... i try to improve it later (perhaps).

that the bullets and the "coins" don't look so different is first of all a matter of limitedness of the game boy style. only 4 colors, one for the background, and 3 for the sprites. that isn't very much... and additionally, i decieded to use only 8x8 sprites for all objects (for small objects like bullets/coins effectively even less), except for explosions and the rotor enemies, which use a group of four 8x8 sprites...

i think that it should be playable after you've noticed how it works. you can discern the the bullets and the coins quite well, cause they move and sound differently.

or do you think i should make some small spikes on the corners of the coins? or something like that?

@screen cluttering: it's intended. it's actually the main challenge of the game. the shifting pattern in the background, all the enemies and the bullets/coins should form a very dense wave of moving lowres pixels in four shades of green. it should be confusing, but still predictable though Smiley. for me, it's kind of a hardcore pattern recognition game...

ExciteMike,
yes, gamepad support would be really nice to have, i agree... it works with the w-s-a-d keys (you can press 2 buttons at once, and the shooting should smoothly change its direction), but an analog stick would still be much better for something like that...

Ryan,
did you get a big grey background behind the playing field in fullscreen mode?
if so, that would be okay... alt+enter doesn't change the zoom level, it should just hide the other stuff currently on screen. i decided to make it like that, because i think, the Game Boy really has a very small screen, also pixel-wise, and a 160x144 -> 12??x1028 zoom would be just too much... one gameboy pixel converts now always to 3x3 pixels on screen, both, in fullscreen and in windowed mode.

thank you all for playing and for the motivating feedback of course!
narasu
Level 10

wehed milie hier, wehed milie daar

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »

I want this, but it spits on me with a windows error  Sad

Ronin Narasu - Musician, philosopher, petty thief

http://soundcloud.com/ronin-narasu
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »

an error with a message box, or does it just crash?
narasu
Level 10

wehed milie hier, wehed milie daar

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »

The one where you always click Don't send.

Ronin Narasu - Musician, philosopher, petty thief

http://soundcloud.com/ronin-narasu
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic