Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:12:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBrogue
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Brogue  (Read 16555 times)
Yougiedeggs
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »

Brogue homepage

---

i think we may need a proper brogue thread

Pretty much.

Had a really good run going for a while, enchanted an axe of speed to +10, which allowed me to hit every enemy next to me, and get another free turn 75% of the time. Had a staff of healing, an allied troll + Ogre.
I thought this would be the game I would at least beat my old record of getting down to floor 12.....and it was. But only because I hit pitfall trap after pitfall trap. Found myself fighting two salamanders after falling 4 levels, and my last option was to throw a pitfall potion to get rid of them. I was too close though, and fell with them, losing my last HP on impact.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:51:17 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »

I really like the game, pretty much the only roguelike I ever got into. In a recent run I was still fairly weak, I don't remember all of my equipment but I did have ring of stealth and a poison wand or something, as well as a troll follower. I ended up in a room full of vampire bats, which seemed kind of ominous. Got rid of the bats and a vampire appeared. I should have been more cautious.. he turned my troll against me and I was screwed.
iffi
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:00:42 PM »

On my most recent run, I was reading and quaffing various scrolls and potions to identify them. One of them was a scroll of cause fear, which caused my goblin ally to run away. Later, I was weakened down to 10% HP by a pink jelly (oh how I hate those things) and the same goblin finished me off. Facepalm
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »

is there a better way to deal with identifying stuff? (besides wasting identify scrolls)

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Sakar
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »

I got snuck up on by a pit bloat and accidentally attacked and killed it out of shock. It opened a hole that landed me in an area completely surrounded by lava. My only option was to drink my last unidentified potion. I drank it and became confused.

I then promptly stumbled into lava and died

Lips Sealed
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »

Monkeys gangbanged me and stole all my junk.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »

is there a better way to deal with identifying stuff? (besides wasting identify scrolls)
not really. you can try to guess some items of course. for instance, healing potions are the most common type of potions, so if you collect items for the first 2-3 levels without using them, the potion you have most of is probably going to be the healing potion.

also you can let monkeys steal your stuff to inspect it for curses because monkeys never steal cursed items.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:30:23 AM »

i ran down to level 13 after being chased by a giant group of acid slimes

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Uykered
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 01:37:30 AM »

I created an incredible tileset for this game, I changed the @

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 09:05:29 AM »

Do share!!

My last one got me two impressive allies, an Ogre and a Naga, and took me to Level 10 before pitfall trapping me into lava. Kind of a weak way to die, but I guess that's why they call it the Dungeon of Doom.

Well... I usually test my potions near water, in case one sets me on fire. Scrolls are safer to test near stairs, because there's some escape/filter potential for the few bad ones out there, like summon/aggrivate monsters ones.

Once you've identified "Magic Detection" potions, that can at least give you an idea of whether things are on the positive/negative side of the spectrum.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »

i actually find detect magic potions more useful than identify scrolls early game
Yougiedeggs
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:30:07 AM »

i actually find detect magic potions more useful than identify scrolls early game

Especially because they reveal secret rooms.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »

^ Unless you're talking about rings. Maybe staffs. But mostly rings. ALWAYS identify those first.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »

once you use your detect magic potion you can just try on all the blue marked rings in your inventory to see what they do (or not lol) with zero risk. staffs are a bit trickier.
Ashkin
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »

Man, what's all this nonsense.
I just use everything to identify it.
Scroll? Read it. Probably die from the effects.
Potion? Ditto.
Staff? Shoot it at an enemy.
Ring? PUT IT ON.
This is why I suck :c
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »

^ That IS why you suck. Along with everybody else, since that's how you begin. It's been a recurring balancing problem with Roguelikes, and yet one that genre fans defend to the end as a defining trait.

And last I checked, "good magic" rings with - variables still show up in blue, and are still considered cursed (example: a "-2 ring of wisdom"). Wink

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »

And last I checked, "good magic" rings with - variables still show up in blue, and are still considered cursed (example: a "-2 ring of wisdom"). Wink

really? because im pretty sure that never happened to me
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »

btw: theres at least one popular roguelike (IVAN namely) without any item identification stuff.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

The only change that I would make (and it's probably because I'm a big wuss) is that items from treasure chambers shouldn't be cursed. It might require some rebalancing (like making treasure rooms rarer or having less choice), but it feels wrong to have cursed items in there.
hukacikanaka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »

I'd like to say that using potions by water is not safe.
I was being attacked by monkeys and so I used an incineration potion, but didn't notice the explosive gas next to me. So I run to the water to avoid the fire, but the fire caused the water to boil and release a scalding steam, thus killing me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic