Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:44:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfraTerra | Revamping stuff, sorta-same story but different everything else
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: InfraTerra | Revamping stuff, sorta-same story but different everything else  (Read 13598 times)
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »

Hand Point Right EVERYTHING BELOW HERE IS OLD AND NO LONGER AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF THE GAME Hand Point Left

InfraTerra is a Metroidvania RPG where you play as an engineer hired to work on a mine.
But when BIG MEAN EVIL Corp. (temporary name) decides the minerals in your mine should belong to them,
you're forced to fight off your greedy competitors.

Story
As the world's oil reserves are being depleted and gasoline prices are nearly unaffordable, everyone and their mother is looking for alternate sources of energy.  Radomir Sasselov, a Russian immigrant living in the US since he was in his twenties, has discovered deposits of a rare, radioactive mineral that could provide billions of people with power at a low cost.  Though he knows where to get it, he lacks the expertise in the field to build the mine.  That's where you, Salvador LaMina, come in.  After graduating with a degree in engineering, Sasselov hires you to design and maintain his mine.  But as a greedy corporate giant finds out about your plans, you must fight to save the mine you worked so hard to create.

Gameplay
Like your standard Metroidvania, you'll be running and jumping around, shooting at enemies, and avoiding dangerous obstacles.  Not only will enemy NPCs be working against you, but the environment consists of dangerous waste products, strong currents, noxious gasses, and more.  Unlike a standard Metroidvania, however, you'll also be interacting with other characters in the game, forming relationships and gaining new skills and items.  You'll find puzzles throughout the game, and riddles and minigames to complete.

Controls
Customizable controls to fit your playstyle.  The defaults:
Arrow Keys - Movement
Z - Jump
X - Attack
E - Use/Interact
WASD - Aiming (Certain Weapons Only)

Compatibility
InfraTerra will be available for Windows and Mac OS X on resolutions higher than 800x600.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:40:41 AM by ev149 » Logged

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »

I like the art.
Kramlack
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »

Exciting Sci-Fi Game! ripoff. Haha, I'm sure it was just bad timing to make this when Kevin just did the exact same thing, but yeah, yours looks nice as well. I'll tell you the same thing I told Kevin, and that's that I really think the rock tiles should have some colour variation to give them a depth effect.
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »

Yeah, I was partly inspired by Kevin's game, but I've had an idea for a story in my head for a while, so hopefully when this is done the only similarities will be the art.
As for the tiles, I definitely need to rework them, the repetition is pretty obvious, as is the mirroring.  I'll probably be reworking the artwork sometime soon so it isn't so similar.

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »

Look forward to watching this develop.
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »

To distance my game from Kevin's (and because the restrictions were killing me), I'm gonna start using NES-ish restrictions instead.  My palette's probably wrong, so I'll work on getting it to NES standards.

Kramlack
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »

Mmmmmm! Those are sexy as hell!
rdein
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »

for some reason the nes tiles remind me of shatterhand

good job
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »

Really like the look of the new tiles, great job  Smiley

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »

Thanks everyone.

RABBIT NABOKOV, most of the tiles were inspired by Batman, but the crate was based on EyeCraft's crate for the Shatterhand CC Challenge over on Pixelation.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »

Pixelicious! And I don't care if the pallete is correct or not, it's close enough to work for me.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »

A wild HUD appears!

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »

I like the graphics style, like others have said it reminds of Shatterhand which is a good thing. Smiley

andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

Looking great, represEnt. CoolHand Thumbs Up Right
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »

Started working on some music today, I'll post some when I'm done.

represEnt.
Wink

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »

Turns out I'm a horrible musician and there are zero NES trackers for OS X, so I'll probably be getting music from elsewhere.  In the meantime I've been working on brainstorming a bunch and made this giant node thingy (some parts that would be spoilers are blurred).

Click for big

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »

Very interesting idea. I like the flowchart, and you have a lot of cool features planned.

Just wanted to say that SunVox is available for Mac - it's not an NES tracker per se, but it's got built-in generators that you can use. If you keep it simple (Square waves, triangles, etc), then it would sound authentic.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »

Cool, I remember seeing your tutorials about it but forgot about Sunvox until now.  I'll definitely check it out. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 08:17:50 AM »

Somebody loves Half-Life, don't they? Wink

Also:

Fists - medium range
Knife - short range

WTF

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »

I was trying to keep the weapons balanced, so that one wasn't a straight upgrade from the other, but I'll test out the different weapons once I get coding this thing and see what works.

It should be a bit different that Half Life when I'm through with it, the spoilers I blurred out are a lot different than the ending in Half Life.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic